i30 Owners Club

P0012 code

Kliment · 14 · 6914

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
Hello,
About a month ago I bought a Hyundai i30 1.4 FDH 2009 bifuel with an integrated LPG (BRC) second hand.

Until then I have a check engine light on and no problems at all,only I've experienced a slow acceleration, and went to make a computer diagnostic and found a P0012 code (camshsft sensor).From then I went to a mechanic and he found that one of the tensioner arm assy is broken and that the timing chain is incorectly positioned,so he replaced the tensioner arm assy and position the timing chain as it should be. Also he changed the spark plugs (NGK)
He also showed me that the ignition was wrong and position the camshaft (something that when is correct it should be at "0" mesurment)

After that the check engine light went off and the acceleration problem with it(it was like driving a new faster car)

So,I drove the car for 2 3 days and the check engine light turned on again.I took my car for another diagnostic and found out the same P0012 code.

Can you please help me with some sugestions?
I will say again I dont have any problems driving now only the check engine light is on
Thank you upfront

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Hyundai i30 1.4 fuel 2009

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
I suspect the P0012 code relates to intake cam position being retarded (in relationship the the crankshaft). This could be caused by a number or combination of timing chain/sprocket stretch/wear, cam phaser malfunction, incorrect cam timing or slipped cam position sensor reluctor wheel.
A thorough diagnosis is required to identify the fault & also the root cause/s.
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L GDI, Auto, SR Premium, Creamy White

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
So according to you what should I replace first.
I also replaced the oil pressure valve and I am thinking on replacing the OCV also or maybe the problem is in the CVVT assy because we already fixed the timing chain.
I dont think that the problem is in the camshaft because the mechanic show them to me and told me that thry are new like the timing chain.I think the previous driver replace them,maybe the CVVT also I dont know

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
So according to you what should I replace first.
I also replaced the oil pressure valve and I am thinking on replacing the OCV also or maybe the problem is in the CVVT assy because we already fixed the timing chain.
I dont think that the problem is in the camshaft because the mechanic show them to me and told me that thry are new like the timing chain.I think the previous driver replace them,maybe the CVVT also I dont know

I reiterate, a thorough diagnosis is recommended before you throw more expensive parts & labour at the vehicle. This would take into account confirming timing chain, tensioners & guides were renewed & correctly installed, especially if the engine has done high km or showing other indications of neglect or previous engine repairs prior to you owning it.
Other tests to confirm cam timing is correct could include engine vacuum check, engine oil pressure check (at the actuator), oil filter screens to OCV are clean, live data of cam phaser actuations & positions using a scan tool or doing a cam & crank correlation test using an oscilloscope & an in cylinder pressure transducer.

Most of these tests are beyond the scope or interest of most dealerships & independent workshops. You will need to find a workshop with the skill sets & tooling to conduct such tests with competence & carry out an effective repair of the symptoms & cause.
Otherwise, just keep throwing parts at it till you think it is fixed  :crazy1:

A logical, methodical & professional approach is required.

What area do you live - I may be able to direct you to a suitable workshop.

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
I live in Skopje, Macedonia

First thing I did when I saw the check engine light was going to the official Hyundai service here to check it out and after 1 or 2 hours looking at it they told me that this car engine is verry damaged and that I need to replace the whole engine.
One of the mechanics there even sugested that I should buy an old engine somewhere for 800 euros and put it in.
Oh yes I forgot,there estimate of the problem was 1500 euros and when I asked them will the problem then be gone they told me they only give guarantee to the parts that they will put inside,nothing about the problem going away.
So that is why I went to a friend of mine who is a good mechanic but does'nt know how to do this tests you mentioned.
I went to several other but everyone sugesting replacing a part before testing it(first of all the sensor).
So if you can help me find someone even in a near country I will go and check it out
Thank you so much 😀

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
I have put the word out. I'm travelling abroad tomorrow, so I may not be able to get back with any reply too quickly.

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
Okk thank you and waiting on your answer 😀

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
Hi again.How is the search going?
I also have one question.
How much fuel consumption is normal for my car? My car is spending 11 in a city drive.
Is that normal? Because I can see online that if something is wrong with your VVT or CVT then your fuel consumption will be high.
Thanks again waiting on your answer😀

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
How much fuel consumption is normal for my car? My car is spending 11 in a city drive.
Is that normal? Because I can see online that if something is wrong with your VVT or CVT then your fuel consumption will be high.

Ed did say he was travelling O/S so please be patient. 11 seems super high to me for a 1.4! (even for city driving) unless you are only doing lots of short trips (say under 5 kms each) :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
Hi Kliment,
My search turned up nothing sorry.
Oil viscosity impacts upon the function of VVT systems also.

Hope you find some solutions for your i30s condition  :)

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
Yes,I am driving a short distances from home to work but I didn't think that could be the cause for high fuel consumption.
About the oil viscosity I've chainged my oil with 5w-30 like it says online for this type of car.
Also yesterday went to my mechanic and tested the OCV with 12 V electricity and it works fine.
About the search I kinda knew that there wont be a mechanic shop like that because I live in a small country but can you please check if you can find something in the countries next to me .. Greece,Bulgaria,Serbia,Albania
I would really apreciated.
Thank you

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia

Ed did say he was travelling O/S so please be patient. 11 seems super high to me for a 1.4! (even for city driving) unless you are only doing lots of short trips (say under 5 kms each) :undecided:
Does 2-3 short trips a day count or did you ment more than that??

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Every time you start your car from "cold" the engine uses extra fuel until the engine gets to optimum operating temperature (that is just how internal combustion engines work) So if for example you do one 5km trip at 9 am, another at say 12 noon and a third at 5.30 pm on a regular basis without any longer (say 50km+) motorway trips, then you can only expect poor economy.

I have a big 6 Cyl vehicle as my daily driver but because I am retired and do mostly highway driving I get close to 9 L/100 kms economy. When I have a week of short trips to and from the CBD only, it soon goes closer 10 L/100 kms  (mine is set to give me an average for the last 500 kms...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
Every time you start your car from "cold" the engine uses extra fuel until the engine gets to optimum operating temperature (that is just how internal combustion engines work) So if for example you do one 5km trip at 9 am, another at say 12 noon and a third at 5.30 pm on a regular basis without any longer (say 50km+) motorway trips, then you can only expect poor economy.

I have a big 6 Cyl vehicle as my daily driver but because I am retired and do mostly highway driving I get close to 9 L/100 kms economy. When I have a week of short trips to and from the CBD only, it soon goes closer 10 L/100 kms  (mine is set to give me an average for the last 500 kms...)
Yea I do these trips like you said one in the morning then in the evening and then at night so I gues that might be the cause.
I linked it with the VCT because I see online that if the VCT is bad it can cause a poor fuel economy but I don't have the other problems like hard or poor idle,stalling etc... The engine is working perfect and still the check engine light wont turn off 😠😠😠

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal