i30 Owners Club

Idle problem

Marc · 24 · 9075

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
Hi all. I'm new to this site. So first like to say hello to you all. My problem I'm having is this. I have a 2011 i30 crdi. Since around 10,000 miles it's started to play up. It first started
Judering and surgeing ( kind of rocking feeling while Driveing). My Hyundai dealer reached
The ecg valve and said that should fix it. It did for about a day. Then it started again. They then replaced my ecu. That stoped the surging. But now it keeps idling bad. It runs and ticks over perfect. But around every two days it will suddenly start idling bad. Up and down like it's about to cut out. It dose it for about 10mins then stops. Then again in the next two days or so. My hyundai dealer can't find any fault codes and don't seen to be able to fix it. Has anyone had this or a simular fault. Regards Marc.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Marc ..Sorry to hear about your problem..

Lets do some brainstorming! Who is going to start? (Mick and Paddy, you guys  better sit this one out  :whistler:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can't tell if the EGR valve was replaced. I've read here somewhere that the EGR is bypassed when the air cond is in use. If, so, try air on and see if the problem goes away. Leave it on for a couple of days to ensure the prob is gone. If so, the EGR should be replaced.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
My hyundai dealer has replaced the egr valve. But I will try that next time it dose it. It's so frustrating. I can't seem to find it. My service garage said it sounded like injectors playing up.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
One of the benefits of joining this forum is the database of knowledge. I searched & came up with this, don't know if it's you problem or not. Use the search facility to move around in this forum.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6793.msg79490#msg79490

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Have you tried a Diesel Injector cleaner? I assume they checked for dirty fuel or fuel filter issues?

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
Yeh I've put fuel cleaner in a couple of times. Not sure if they have checked the fuel or fuel filter though.

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
I've just read that post. Sounds interesting. Mite be worth changing the filter and checking that o ring at the same time.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, the symptoms do sound similar to yours & it could be something as simple as that too.  :neutral:

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
That would be very good if it sorted it. Will give it a go. Thanx mate.  :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Pleasure.  :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi Marc, welcome. sorry your having trouble.
just wondering what fuel you have been useing to date? & were are you?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

were are you?

I believe Marc is in England (maybe Surrey)  :winker: But I can't work out what fuel he is using  :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
the fuel you use makes a lot of difference Dazz, but i like to stick to the one outlet, especially while we are having all this rain. outlet i go to sells Caltex Vortex diesel ( non woolys ) & it's high up on a hill. a mate got a tank of BP diesel that had water contamination was in a ten ton Hino almost new truck, blew the motor. BP payed. but was still a bad experience for him. & that outlet has a hi turnover with about ten to twelve diesel pumps all have remote Fuel filters on them. so very hard to tell. as both my diesel's run good on the fuel i use i'm not changing, i also use Wynnes diesel treatment every 5,000k.  & now i don't drive the car as many k's as i used too i don't fill to the top now i just put enough in to last no more than three weeks ( to keep freash fuel in it & help stop Algea growth.

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
Hi. I'm from England. Blackpool.   I use different fuels. Sometimes
From morrisons supermarket. But mostly shell fuel. My car started to do the idling prob today. I turned on my air conditioning while it was doing it and it improved it massively. Not 100% but deffanetly a noticeable improvement. What could it be. It's Driveing me crazy.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^-- did you get that "O" ring checked? Pop into Chorley Group on Amy Johnson Way and let them have a ganders.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
It's been in there a few times now. And they don't seem to be able to find the reason for it. The problem is. Every time I go there it runs fine. They haven't seen it doing what it's dose. Very frustrating. I'm going to go see them on Monday though to ask about the filter and o ring fault I've Learned of on here.   It's annoying as the car is a taxi. And all chorley Nissan keep saying is run it until it totally breaks down and then we may find the fault easier. But that's not mutch good for me really. I'm Driveing a new car every day thinking is today
The breakdown day! , I really need to get it sorted. Ive had more info and help on this site in one week than I've had from my dealer in a year.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As I said to you previously, the air conditioner should be left on as it cancels the EGR valve. Then take it to your dealer and complain loudly. Tell them you're a member here and they must not return the vehicle until it's fixed.

If you're not confident they can fix it, I'd change dealerships. :neutral:

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
That's what I'm going to do. It's had a new egr valve at choley Nissan. Still
Doing it though. I'm deff gona do what ya said on monday.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Sorry this is draggin on for ya Marc.  I have no words of wisdom just popped in the saay *Hi*.  I hope it gets sorted soon !!!!

Offline Marc

• 2nd Gear
Thanx mate. I hope so to. It's a real pain when you can't find a fault.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hi Marc. I've just read this thread and can say I feel your pain & frustration.

One thing that frustrates me is that the people you trust to have the knowledge & experience to be able to solve you problem, ie the dealer, cannot help you.

I really do wish you luck in getting this sorted out and like the other members who have posted, I'm looking forward to finding out what the problem was.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Marc,

Get the dealer to check the MAF sensor. If it's faulty, it could cause a similar type of problem.

Recently someone had this sensor fail and although not the same symptoms as yours, it could be related.

Here is the link to his problem for you to read if you wish.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=13349.msg146694#msg146694

:neutral:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I remember having some surging whilst driving in the early days of mine and the fuel filter was replaced earlier than normal and it fixed that problem.
Sounds like yours might be something else maybe?
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal