i30 Owners Club

LED Headlights ????

me217 · 8 · 5289

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
hey all, was talking to a driver at work today about headlights, and how some trucks are using LED Headlight bulbs instead of halogen. and as luck would have it, i blew my LH low beam on the i30 today. so after a small amount of searching on ebay i found these.
Pair 50W CAR H7 White High LOW Beam Headlight Lamp Cree LED Bulbs 1512 1800LM |
now first question, is the obvious one. does anybody know if these are illegal in QLD.
and 2nd question, has anybody used them and are they worth it.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The colour temp is listed as 6000k, I doubt that these will be legal in Australia.

They have dedicated fans for each bulb, so heat is likely to be a killer of these, for the price, I'd give them a miss.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
whats a good option for bulbs. i want something nice and white to match the light bar.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If you currently have halogen bulbs fitted, then legally, you should use the same type of halogen bulbs. The whiteness & longevity in halogens differs only between commercial brands.

Some members have installed HID conversion kits, which are not legal, but you do get the option of running specific K temperature bulbs, ranging from yellow 3500K through to ultra white/blue 6000+K.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Globes like Osram's Night Breaker Plus or Philips X-treme Vision are supposedly whiter than standard....  :undecided:
Don't expect to get long life out of them though...

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
I would not waste your money. If you want something that a "whiter light" then go for something like Narava Intense bulbs they are the whitest ADR approved bulbs that I have seen, they will be about equal in terms of light volume as your standard ones. Tinting a halogen bulb to make a whiter or bluer light actually decreases the lights performance I use Narava plus 100 bulbs in my car which are double the light volume from a standard bulb am I am very happy with them, yeah a white light looks a little nicer from the outside but I'd rather have better vision whilst driving.

You can of course go the HID option which will give you very white lights and great performance but they will however be illegal 

• Hyundai i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :agreed:

Any colour coating, has to reduce the amount of light emanating from the bulb.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm not aware of the Osram or the Philips having any colour coating....  :undecided:

They also quote similar performance to the Narva's....

Philips X-treme Vision H7
POWER BULBS BEST BUY WINNER 2013!
Up to 100% more light on the road
Up to 35 meters more visibility
Maximum performance

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal