Cyclists’ bad behaviour caught on camera – video

eye30 · 73 · 13059

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
 Cyclists who ignore red lights, sail down one-way streets the wrong way and ride on pavements have been framed and shamed by another rider.

A YouTube user who calls himself Careful Cyclist has put together footage of cyclists behaving badly.

The incidents were captured by a helmet camera in York and uploaded to the video sharing site with the title ‘York Cyclists: Episode One’.

Cyclists? bad behaviour caught on camera ? video - BT

Watch all as you need to see what happens at 2:30

Give us good and considerate cyclists a bad name
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I thought the whole film was most entertaining :lol: though the recording cyclist was a bit of a "jobsworth" at times.

Quote from: eye30
Watch all as you need to see what happens at 2:30

:rofl: karma
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
My reason exactly on why cyclist need to have a rego. Maybe think twice before doing something stupid :neutral:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My reason exactly on why cyclist need to have a rego. Maybe think twice before doing something stupid :neutral:
I agree. Being immune from accountability brings out the worst in humans unfortunately.
I can see from the width of the footpaths why the UK doesn't designate all footpaths as "shared pathways: as we do in Queensland.
And, is there no regulation requiring helmets to be worn?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Not something that would be practical though as fitting a number plate would be difficult and in turn would most likely create a safety issue just as they did with front number plates on motorcycles.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Not something that would be practical though as fitting a number plate would be difficult and in turn would most likely create a safety issue just as they did with front number plates on motorcycles.
Simple - round - plastic. They can fit baby/ child seats behind the rider. Or surfboard carry racks alongside. Or saddle bags both sides. Don't tell me a decent sized number couldn't be fitted.
 with similar application of technology.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Where do you propose to mount them?  :undecided:

Most bikes don't have mud guards and so any number plate would probably have to be fitted around the seat area, which would then most likely interfere with mounting and dismounting at the very least...  :undecided:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
With all the other things people attach to their bikes, there would be a spot. And if not, then have an id card that ya keep in your wallet or waist pack and if you get pulled over then you have to produce it. And fines if you are caught riding without.  And as for how expensive rego for vehicles are. Come up with something affordable like $50-100 a year. It would cover liability on both ends....... Bikes have too much free will with hardly any consequences. It would decrease the amount of stupid stuff that some of the bikers do and probably make vehicle drivers a little more tolerant. I would be a lot more tolerant if I knew they had CTP and they have paid, which definitely gives them right to use the road.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Of course they could mount them. As I said, don't tell me that kid's seats, saddle bags and such don't require substantial and secure fitting.
As long as they can get away unidentified, they'll keep abusing the system.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Of course they could mount them. As I said, don't tell me that kid's seats, saddle bags and such don't require substantial and secure fitting.
attach it to the spokes like the reflectors

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Because registration on cars and motorcycles stops people doing stupid things (sorry, that is sarcasm).  I have on numerous occasions spotted car drivers, truck drivers, cyclists and motor cyclist doing stupid things, rego doesn't stop this.  Look at speeding, mobile phone use, not using seat belts, driving unregistered, driving uninsured. Idiots will be idiots, regardless of their method of transport.

I don't have a place on my bike for something that can be seen from a distance without causing danger to either myself or other road users.  And mine isn't a "go fast road bike", it is a bike.

If I do have to pay for registration for my bicycle, then I will take up the whole lane (after all, I have now paid for it).  All of your registration costs will increase as you will have to pay for the third party insurance of cyclists as well. 

Are we going to get registration for pedestrians as well?  After all, they cross the road, and they do it against the red light, yet I see no complaints here about that!!  How old do my sons have to be before they pay registration for their bikes?

At the moment, cyclists can be fined for disobeying road rules, just as motor transport drivers can.  Just enforce the rules, don't add an extra cost to the transport just because you believe it will stop people doing the wrong thing.

My two cents.  Now preparing for incoming fire.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
Oh well, let's just drop registration on anything using the roads.  :disapp:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
All of your registration costs will increase as you will have to pay for the third party insurance of cyclists as well.

Already happens in Victoria....  :)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
^

That is not what I was saying.  I was responding to TheReaper's comments that registration would stop bad behaviour, it wouldn't.  Studies have also shown that registering bicycles would cost more than it would benefit, both in economic and social costs.

While not a study, an interesting article.

Is there a case for registering bicycles? | The Urbanist

And this one:

Cycling registration
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:37:26 by FatBoy »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^

That is not what I was saying.  I was responding to TheReaper's comments that registration would stop bad behaviour, it wouldn't.  Studies have also shown that registering bicycles would cost more than it would benefit, both in economic and social costs.

While not a study, an interesting article.

Is there a case for registering bicycles? | The Urbanist

And this one:

Cycling registration
No laws stop bad behaviour. But they do make it easier to identify and prosecute those who act in an irresponsible manner. And the cost argument doesn't hold water with me because otherwise, we'd probably make a case as I said above, for not having any laws.
Unfortunately, humans being what they are, an unrestricted society would be pretty disastrous.
I don't like seeing more or more restrictive laws than anybody else. But the majority need protection from the minority, else anarchy is a very real possibility.
And vigilantism.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Wait … if boats have to pay registration, isn't it about time surfers paid too? And displayed registration, so we can film and fine them if they stray into swimming zones?

Hehehe, I can just picture Trev with his surfboard and a dirty great big number plate mounted on the back...  :rofl:

But it's ok cos' it will be made of plastic so won't cut anyone in a spill.....oh wait, aren't surfboard fins made of plastic?   :winker:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
From my second article:

The second theory regards registration plates being used for law enforcement: “I could report the number of a cyclist breaking the road rules, and they'd get a fine.”
This idea fails in so many areas it's hard to know where to start. Have you ever noted the number of a car that breaks the law, and phoned it in to the police? They will sigh and tell you there's nothing they can do.
If visible registration plates prevent traffic violations, then surely we should never see car drivers speeding, tailgating or texting while driving? Besides, cyclists who cause accidents are likely to do the most damage to themselves; in a car crash, the culpable driver has a good chance of escaping unharmed. Is a massive, costly logistical exercise, registering the 1 million bicycles sold in Australia every year, really worth it to maybe catch a few cyclists who treat red lights as give way signs?

When I was cycling to and from work in Melbourne, I utilised both bike paths (sometimes dual use) and roads.  I used to wear "sports gear" when cycling, nobody wants to see me in lycra.  I stopped at a red light on the cycle path, behind me was a lycra clad cyclist on a "go fast" bike and a commuter on a traditional bike with flowery basket (it was a female wearing a skirt).  Guess which one went through the red light?  The bloke in lycra looked at me and said, "That gives the rest of us a bad name."  He caught up with her on the next block and gave her a serve as he rode past.

If we did register bikes, we would be the only country "on earth" to register them.  We would not only be the laughing stock of the world, but bicycle usage would drop dramatically.

Are we proposing registering bikes or riders?  If it is the same as cars and motorbikes, then it would be the bikes that are registered.  What happens if I ride somebody else's bike and break a road rule.  If the police catch me, then I pay the fine.  If somebody "dobs me in", then does the owner of the bike get a fine when they didn't commit the crime?  Surely it is up to the accuser to prove it was me on the bike.  That is why the "reporting a violation" won't work, it doesn't in cars and trucks now, why would it on bikes?

So Trev, where will we put the rego plates on our surfboards?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wait … if boats have to pay registration, isn't it about time surfers paid too? And displayed registration, so we can film and fine them if they stray into swimming zones?

Hehehe, I can just picture Trev with his surfboard and a dirty great big number plate mounted on the back...  :rofl:

But it's ok cos' it will be made of plastic so won't cut anyone in a spill.....oh wait, aren't surfboard fins made of plastic?   :winker:
Well, not a problem, except any offending surfer has to come back to shore VIA the patrolling lifesavers and THEY ARE intercepted.
Oh. And surfboards, unlike pushbikes, don't already boast all sorts of projections. Some listed above, but just in case you missed.
Rear carry rack.
Saddle bags (on solid frames).
Childs' seats.
In some cases a towing assembly for a separate trailer.
But none of them could hurt anyone.  :wink:

And science is a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:
It has created hard plastic and SOFT plastic.

I'll leave the issue of younger children possibly needing to have to register their bikes as Jamie has raised, except to say, AFAIK there is already a rule in place which allows children under a certain age to ride on footpaths. So, if that can be tolerated, then non registration of a bike for under the same age shouldn't present a problem.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
From my second article:

The second theory regards registration plates being used for law enforcement: “I could report the number of a cyclist breaking the road rules, and they'd get a fine.”
This idea fails in so many areas it's hard to know where to start. Have you ever noted the number of a car that breaks the law, and phoned it in to the police? They will sigh and tell you there's nothing they can do.
If visible registration plates prevent traffic violations, then surely we should never see car drivers speeding, tailgating or texting while driving? Besides, cyclists who cause accidents are likely to do the most damage to themselves; in a car crash, the culpable driver has a good chance of escaping unharmed. Is a massive, costly logistical exercise, registering the 1 million bicycles sold in Australia every year, really worth it to maybe catch a few cyclists who treat red lights as give way signs?

When I was cycling to and from work in Melbourne, I utilised both bike paths (sometimes dual use) and roads.  I used to wear "sports gear" when cycling, nobody wants to see me in lycra.  I stopped at a red light on the cycle path, behind me was a lycra clad cyclist on a "go fast" bike and a commuter on a traditional bike with flowery basket (it was a female wearing a skirt).  Guess which one went through the red light?  The bloke in lycra looked at me and said, "That gives the rest of us a bad name."  He caught up with her on the next block and gave her a serve as he rode past.

If we did register bikes, we would be the only country "on earth" to register them.  We would not only be the laughing stock of the world, but bicycle usage would drop dramatically.

Are we proposing registering bikes or riders?  If it is the same as cars and motorbikes, then it would be the bikes that are registered.  What happens if I ride somebody else's bike and break a road rule.  If the police catch me, then I pay the fine.  If somebody "dobs me in", then does the owner of the bike get a fine when they didn't commit the crime?  Surely it is up to the accuser to prove it was me on the bike.  That is why the "reporting a violation" won't work, it doesn't in cars and trucks now, why would it on bikes?

So Trev, where will we put the rego plates on our surfboards?

Jamie, I'm not suggesting we "book" people on a dobber's say so. I'm suggesting some form of identification on a pushbike will allow prosecution in the event of photo or video evidence of an offence - just like with cars. It's not just red lights. It's any road offence.

And as for surfboard registration - see above.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Anyway, see you later guys.
I'm going for a ride on my unregistered bike.
Some new tracks opened up in the Pelican Waters Forest Reclamation Area.  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Don't forget to check out any likely spots to mount a number plate...  :lol:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Ok ok, shouldn't have written that comment in a hurry.....   so yeah, it won't stop everyone from breaking the law. But like surfer dude says it may make them think. And if they do get caught, guess what you get punished. Must stupid behaviour goes without being punished. But at least there is something in place for that time when ya do get caught. And as for not being to able to see the rego because of riding the bike. Same concept applies to when cars had rego stickers. Can you actually see the writing on the sticker as the car drives by? You know what colour it is, but you can't read the writing.......... It comes down to everyone needs to be held accountable. If you dart out in front of my car because you decide to run a red light, then you need to fix my car, pay for a rental, etc. Just like two cars that get involved in a wreck. There is nothing really in place for that with cyclist.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Don't forget to check out any likely spots to mount a number plate...  :lol:
Glad you mentioned that.
I have (and am required to have I believe), a rear reflector. Guess what it's made out of. Only realy needs to be double the size to show a rego number.
Problem solved. :goodjob2:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I saw an i30 driver today talking on a mobile phone and go through a roundabout without indicating.  Therefore all i30 drivers are idiots and need to be punished.  He had a number plate on, yet still did illegal things.

If a cyclist is caught running a red light, then they are fined.  Bicycles don't have enough metal in them to trip the red light camera, so putting number plates on them won't catch them.  If a policeman/woman stops a cyclist and asks for identification, then the cyclist is required to provide the identification.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
An ID sticker on the front & rear of the helmet, should work. :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
An ID sticker on the front & rear of the helmet, should work. :idea:

What happens if I use somebody else's helmet?  Cars and motorcycles aren't required to identify the drivers, so why should bicycles?  What will it achieve?  I've already stated that "identifying" a vehicle won't stop the operator from using the vehicle illegally.

At the moment, bicycle riders are not required to have registration, nor a licence.  Until that changes (which the governments don't want to do because it will cost too much and it won't be effective) ALL motorists will have to learn to share the road.  Remember, your 1000kg vehicle will do a hell of a lot of damage to a 5kg bicycle.  I am aware that I will come of second best if I have a crash (which I already have, thanks Mr Courier Man who didn't stop at a stop sign), so I ride accordingly.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
On the subject of a bicycle rider not holding steady at a red traffic light, a large proportion of the traffic signals I encounter daily are controlled by inductor loops.

I can therefore understand why some cyclists would 'run' a red light if they knew it wouldn't change to their benefit when they approached it.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal