i30 Owners Club

Faark - glow plug broken or thread damaged

Asterix · 52 · 16465

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sincere commiserations!

Did they mention what is the recommended thread lubricant when changing the plugs?
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :faint: Oh no, such a good record till now, too.

Sorry to hear. :fum:

I'd be looking at other options if possible.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I wonder why they 'welded themselves in' like that in 100K....I would have thought that you were doing the right thing by putting the copper grease on the threads when you installed them.  :crazy1:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Just guessing, but towing a van regularly and references to engine getting hotter than normal may have caused this phenomenon.  :question:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Makes you wonder if the glow plugs should be removed periodically to make sure they do not seize up.

I have ordered some Febi ceramic grease and will do just that.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Never heard that the plugs could be stuck so hard that even machine shop could not drill them out. But I guess that is possible...

Did you use torque wrench when you changed them last time? Did you change them previously with hot or cold engine? I would guess they could come out easier with hot block, but at least in the factory they are put in a cold engine.

I hope it all goes well and the bill would be smaller.

I was planning to change my plugs for just in case, but I started really doubt if it worth the risk. My car has done 107tkm with original plugs.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 19:40:40 by sundiz »
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's a job I'd get the dealer to do. They break something, they fix it.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Bugger.
Bit of a shame they wouldn't try drilling them out. An engine remanufacturing shop should have drill presses to get it pretty spot on, and if it came to heli-coils they are pretty bloody good. I have had seized exhaust studs cut out, new alloy welded in place, then drilled and retapped before.
Hopefully they go easy on you when the bill comes. Did they price a new bare head?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
whats the cost of a second hand engine? Over here you can get an engine with 53k on it for $1700.

I don't know what they would cost to install though.

:faint: Oh no, such a good record till now, too.

Sorry to hear. :fum:

I'd be looking at other options if possible.

I believe I can get a similar used one for around the same price, but on top of the already spend hours, they would have to remove the rest of the engine and install the new one. Wouldn't end up cheaper at all.
Had I known the extent of this operation at start, I would have considered that option.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 19:33:02 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Far out brussell sprout! That is a terrible outcome Henning. Had you known that I guess you may have attempted to do it yourself.  :undecided: :blubber:

No, I only have an open carport and handtools, so not an option, unfortunately.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Sorry to hear that.  :disapp:  Makes you wonder if the glow plugs should be removed periodically to make sure they do not seize up.

Have had that exact thought, but I bet I would shake all over when I have to loosen that first glow plug in 3 or 6 month time....  :confused:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Sincere commiserations!

Did they mention what is the recommended thread lubricant when changing the plugs?

Thanks. Haven't asked yet, but must remember to ask if any special lubricant is recommended in the workshop manual or from a TSB.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I wonder why they 'welded themselves in' like that in 100K....I would have thought that you were doing the right thing by putting the copper grease on the threads when you installed them.  :crazy1:

I have no idea and like you I thought I did the right thing.

That's a job I'd get the dealer to do. They break something, they fix it.

I'm not sure all dealers share that opinion.... :(  ... but if you're right I could have had a lot of glow plugs changed for what this will cost me...  :(
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Bugger.
Bit of a shame they wouldn't try drilling them out. An engine remanufacturing shop should have drill presses to get it pretty spot on, and if it came to heli-coils they are pretty bloody good. I have had seized exhaust studs cut out, new alloy welded in place, then drilled and retapped before.
Hopefully they go easy on you when the bill comes. Did they price a new bare head?

Yes, but I think it's only fair they say no thank if they're sure they can create a perfect result.

Did talk to a colleague who have had same issue with a Land Rover, he had it machined out at a engine remanufacturing shop. I rang them to hear the cost, but it would be nearly the same as I have to pay for that used head the dealer have ordered, so didn't go for that option.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The disaster that has occurred in your car, Henning.... has led me to do lots of reading about glow plugs and faults and problems that people have experienced...and to start a different (yet related glow plug thread):-

:link: Glow plug reamer availability

(that I perhaps started in the wrong section).

I hope that your i30 will be returned to fine fettle for just a modest fee!

It is strange but the only other diesel vehicle that I have owned was a 1980 Datsun Patrol that STILL has the original glow plugs fitted to it to this day! I wonder if any i30 owners will be able to say this in 2045!

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
NEVER put copper or any other grease on glow plug threads specially on engines with aluminium head. The OEM install doesn't have any grease.
Grease can go on heads with non alu material threads/head.
OLD mechanics and new engines NO NO NO.

NEVER buy cheap glow plugs with cheap chrome and fragile parts. This engine have NGK original plugs so always buy this one only.

Tighten always with torque wrench 8Nm.

Before loosing spray with penetrating oil or ATF mix fluid few days.. NOT with wd 40, he is not for this kind of job.

Remove with hot engine, install at cold.

Follow these steps and you will never have any problems of this kind. :goodjob:
  • 1.6crdi

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Got the car back today, will be so nice to drive my i30 again...  :D

There's oil in the coolant reservoir, that shouldn't be there after a head removal. Will have a talk to the workshop tomorrow, but might wait with too aggressive complaints until I receive the invoice... :confused:

Had a 2004 Getz CRDi as a loaner, what a piece of crap. Only 150.000 km on the odo, but terrible to drive. Suspension horrible soft, seating position not suitable for my 182 cm, and a lot of other things, mainly due to poor maintenance.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Here's what it looks like, would any of you know if the Bardahl flush additive is worth using... :question:  (I've had it for 6-10 years, so maybe too old now.. :question:)

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wouldn't be getting rid of the evidence yet, Henning. Wise move to wait on the bill 1st!  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Let the dealer flush it.  :exclaim:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here's what it looks like, would any of you know if the Bardahl flush additive is worth using... :question:  (I've had it for 6-10 years, so maybe too old now.. :question:)

It would be great to know what additive they put in....and why...

No additive like that is recommended by Hy in Australia.

Did they give you an idea of why the glow plugs weren't able to be extracted...or any ideas on how to prevent this from recurring?

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Wanted to change the glow plugs.

Bet you wished you had left well alone now!

Not really, it was needed...

:link: i30 startup - YouTube

That's nothing compared to the Ute i drive I've ordered glow plugs though, the amount of smoke it's embarrassing!
  • i30 wagon 09

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal