i30 Owners Club

2008 1,6crdi 90hp diesel - Engine Issue, Bad noise and rev problems

Jaffen · 7 · 4598

Offline Jaffen

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Norway, Oslo
Hi guys.
I have a big issue with the engine in my car. For the last week or so there has been a slight "ticking" noise from the engine. Sometimes the noise was louder/worse, but often just noticable. Did not seem to change wether the engine was cold or hot.
Then one day it suddenly "popped" and made an awfull sound (like a deeper rumble but loud) to go along with the "ticking", all power was lost and check engine light came on.  Got the car home, and then it would not start. Checked the engine error code with a scanner and it said that the camshaft position sensor was faulty. I swapped it out, then the car starts, but it still makes the noise and has no power. The car does now start every time, but impossible to drive. (not showing any error codes or check engine light) It sounds really bad.
Also when i push the throttle, nothing happens unless i hold it in for a few seconds, then it revs a little bit.  It is really not healthy, but I have no clue what it might be.  Maybe one of you guys know something or have any idea of what it might be?  :wacko:   Taking it in to a workshop just for them to figure out would cost alot of money, so maybe if someone knew what this was, I could contact workshops for pricing of the repairs. (Money is really tight right now)  :crazy1:

I'll leave a link to a video here where I tried to film what happens. Then you can hear the sound and see how the car responds when pushing the throttle.

:link: Hyundai i30 - Engine Noise - YouTube
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Black

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'd check all the intercooler hoses / turbo including the intake to turbo
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Jaffen,

You are a very brave man to continue to run the engine after those events/ noises. You risk doing more damage. :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Jaffen

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Norway, Oslo
I have now checked all hoses, and all of them seem to be connected properly. But what I forgot to tell, that probably is good information for you guys is that the engine shakes really bad when idling. Maybe this helps.

Offline Jaffen

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Norway, Oslo
Thank you, Dazzler.
Yeah, I know i probably should not run the engine when it is like this, but I really wanna figure out what is wrong and all that. And I am now starting to think that I may need to swap the engine  :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Jaffen,
 To avoid bias, I read post #1 and watched video. The engine seems to have a miss on a cylinder or a timing issue. The turbo is barely functional.
I read further and agree with tw re check turbo.
But how many kms,? Where does the noise come from? If front of the motor, I suggest that your timing chain has worn and has jumped a tooth or two................................?? best guess.

If you suspect timing chain, get it fixed. Breakage will  cause major damage = kill the motor
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Jaffen,
 To avoid bias, I read post #1 and watched video. The engine seems to have a miss on a cylinder or a timing issue. The turbo is barely functional.
I read further and agree with tw re check turbo.
But how many kms,? Where does the noise come from? If front of the motor, I suggest that your timing chain has worn and has jumped a tooth or two................................?? best guess.

If you suspect timing chain, get it fixed. Breakage will  cause major damage = kill the motor
I was wondering about timing too, but also wondering about compression test and inspection of the top end for any failures. What code number exactly did you scan
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal