i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 GD-01 Audio System Head Unit

deepee · 5 · 4853

Offline deepee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hello all,

I’ve seen a number of threads in this forum reporting issues with this unit.

It seems to always start with intermittent loss of audio output (regardless of input source) eventually, over time, resulting in complete loss of output.
Other functions, such as visual display etc. seem to continue to function.
It also seems that there is no source for firmware for this model other than suggestions of approaching Hyundai, which is pointless.

Web searches for firmware have drawn a blank, however they have led to three or four sites that offer (expensive) repairs.
All say that the audio output problem is a common issue, is unrelated to firmware but is “easily” repairable.

My question is, do any of the forum experts know the actual component cause of these “common” hardware failures?
I’m unconvinced that the issue is not software/firmware related and wonder if these operators have access to utilities that will clear and re-flash the firmware with the unit out of the car.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks
deepee
  • 2014 i30 Petrol Hatchback

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm unsure of exactly which component was at fault, it is hardware related though.

The shop that offer the fix is more expensive than replacing with a much better GD-03 unit from a wrecker so personally I wouldn't bother trying to fix an 01 unit, they're rubbish :spitty: :)

Offline deepee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for the feedback CraigB.
I like to self-repair most electronic items where possible so will probably persevere and pull the unit out, once it fails completely, for a good look.
You've helped me by ruling out that the issue is not software/firmware related.
If I manage to find the fault and repair it, I'll post a reply to this thread.
  • 2014 i30 Petrol Hatchback

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No problem  :goodjob2: if you’re capable of repairing it yourself it’s definitely a viable option, still lacking in features to an 03 unit but if those are of no interest to you then you might as well enjoy fixing what you have  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the feedback CraigB.
I like to self-repair most electronic items where possible so will probably persevere and pull the unit out, once it fails completely, for a good look.
You've helped me by ruling out that the issue is not software/firmware related.
If I manage to find the fault and repair it, I'll post a reply to this thread.

That would be very interesting. Good luck with it.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal