i30 Owners Club

2010 i30cw esp off, abs and park brake light on after jump start

pearj · 10 · 5892

Offline pearj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
Hi,

My battery went flat the other day thanks to my 4-year-old leaving the interior light on, so NRMA gave me a jump start, but then the battery (6 years old) died again a few days later. This time it was with my wife and her friend jump-started the car, but since then I've had 3 persistent lights on in the dash.  The "ESP OFF" light, the "ABS" light and the park brake light.  I got NRMA to replace the battery the next day, and he tried to clear the error codes, which was apparently ABS and airbag, but it made no difference.

Does this mean that something got fried during the jump-start?

In the past when I've had the "ESP OFF" it has disappeared after a bit of driving, but not this time.

I tried the suggestions in this old post: :link: ESP OFF after disconnecting battery
Including holding the "ESP OFF" button with ignition on and the engine off, turning the wheels to the left and the right with the engine off (geeze that was hard without power steering), and I tried the same thing with the engine running.  Both to no avail.

I found it strange that park brake light is stuck on, as I've never had that before, which made me wonder if something got fried.  But this article suggests that it could be a brake pressure problem. Although the brakes do not feel spongy or anything like that. I did get the front right calliper replaced about a month or so ago, but it seems suspicious this problem appeared after a jump-start.

I have it booked in with the dealer in a week, but if there is something else I should do instead (auto electrician maybe?), then any other advice would be helpful.

ns
  • 2009 SX 5 Door Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Silver

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Esp, abs and brake light may come on if the battery voltage is too low. Car shuts down non essential modules.

Those lights should go away with new healthy battery if low voltage is the issue. I suggest you measure the voltage of the battery while engine off, engine at idle and engine with some higher revs, lets say about 2500rpm.

Does your wife or her friend know how to jump start a car? Blown fuses, relays or conrol boxes could be issue, if wires were mixed during jump start.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Or of course its a coincidence and an ABS sensor has failed. ABS failure automatically causes ESP to turn off.

Need to pull codes, most cheap code readers wont get the ABS codes.

Offline pearj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
Those lights should go away with new healthy battery if low voltage is the issue. I suggest you measure the voltage of the battery while engine off, engine at idle and engine with some higher revs, lets say about 2500rpm.
I have a new battery now and it still persists

Does your wife or her friend know how to jump start a car? Blown fuses, relays or conrol boxes could be issue, if wires were mixed during jump start.

My wife doesn't but claimed her friend did.  Although from her description it sounds like that both jumper wires were connected to both batteries, where I remember that one of the negatives was supposed to be on the car chassis? So I don't know how much that matters.

Fuses are a good point, I'll check that tonight
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 23:11:18 by pearj »

Offline pearj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
Need to pull codes, most cheap code readers wont get the ABS codes.

I have a Gofar dongle that lives in the obd port that can read some codes (it's not the primary purpose of it). But it doesn't think anything is wrong.

Offline pearj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT

Fuses are a good point, I'll check that tonight

The fuses were fine, I guess I'll have to leave myself in the hands of the dealer.

Offline pearj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
The dealer ended up fixing the warning lights by replacing something as part of a recall. So we didn't end up having to pay for anything. yay

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback.

Any idea what they replaced?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I had abs control unit recall last summer. Could it have been it?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline pearj

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
Any idea what they replaced?

It says this on the invoice:

installed relay as per tsb se2001-01d010. erased codes all okay
01d010 pcb relay kit installation

I googled a bit and found this product recall, I found my VIN number in the list, so it looked like they replaced the ABS module.

At my last regular service in November 2020, I remember them saying there were 2 recalls they were going to do. But I guess they didn't do it at the time, as I don't see it on my November 2020 invoice.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal