i30 Owners Club

How to route a video cable from the front to the cabin

_GI · 3 · 2063

Offline _GI

• 1st Gear

• it Italy
      North-West
Hello to everybody.

I need the community help about a way to route a cable inside my car.

I have a I30 CW 1.6 CRDi VGT 16V 90cv (2010).

I would like to install a camera on the front part of the car, to help my wife during the "critical parkings" or during the incoming / outgoing from my car box (the path is very tortuous and its walls have a lot of  "dangerous corners").
So, I would like to avoid that my wife play to make round all the car box edges and
corners by using the car body ...

The problem is that I don't know how to route the RCA video cable from the engine
area (under the front bonnet) to a easy to manage area inside the passengers compartment.

I have bought a cheaper 4.3 inches foldable LCD display and after some mechanical
and electronic adjustments, I installed it over the foldable "drawer" above the dashboard
(in the center of the dashboard, over the radio top).
I think it is the one where, the "top I30 version" has its navigator display.
The color is the same black of the dashboard and (in my opinion) at the end, the assembly
is quite acceptable.

Opening the engine bonnet, I see a big cables bundle that go over the engine area, towards the passengers compartment (I think they are headed to the fuses box).
But I don't know how to use that passage, because it seems completelly sealed (I fear to
damage something that already use that hole).

Is there someone in the community that know a more easy path from the engine
area to the passengers area (through the diaphragm dividing the two zones)?
I would like to avoid to made any "new hole" on the car metallic parts, because I'm not so practical with a mechanical jobs (a new hole may cause some future damages due to rust).

During the installation of the second camera, on the rear part of the car, I opened
the plastic shield of the rear door and I saw how complicated is the metallic assembly
there.
If the same thing is on the diaphragm between the engine area and the passengers area,
I will laugh for a while day ...

Due to the LCD monitor position, the video cable shall arrive somewere near to the rear
part of the radio (and then go toward the foldable drawer).
E.g. if the cable may enter to the passengers area from the pedals, I think that than will
be possible to route it up to the final destination (... I hope).

I'm able with electronics jobs, but I'm an absolute beginner about any mechanical thing,
so any web link, drawing, or video will be welcome.
So the problem is not to choose the components or how to connect them to work well,
but only how to route the RCA video cable to connect the camera (placed on the front
side of the car) to the LCD display (placed on the top of the drawer).

I saw that someone had alredy issue a post regarding how to route a power cable from the engine to the cabin, some time ago.
Is that the only way?

P.S.
Please don't suggest the use of any wireless link (e.g. a couple of 2.4GHz TX/RX).
I will already use them to connect to the same LCD dispay another camera, placed on the rear
side of the car (hidden inside the plate lights).
The monitor I choosed has two different video inputs, and I will use them for the two cameras.
The monitor is able to switch automatically between the two cams and I modified the monitor
to switch off automatically when I fold it because I don't need it more.

Thank you in advance for your help
Goodbye to everybody.

• I30 CW 1.6 CRDi VGT 16V 90cv (2010)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Gi,

You did a good job with your explanation  :goodjob:

Sorry I can't help, but hopefully someone will...

Only thing I can add is make sure you seal any hole you make with lots of silicone or something after to stop fumes and noise.

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi GI

There is some pic's in another thread regarding routing powercables for amplifiers, you may be able to use that same route.
Will see if I can find it.....

Here it is, hope you can use it:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=15340.msg168622#msg168622
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal