i30 Owners Club

Power Steering / EPS / MPDS Recall - Australia

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Summary:
  • If you have an i30 from around 5 or so years ago and you have problems with the Power Steering - find your VIN and ring the 1800 number :link: Hyundai Australia Contact Details - because they seem hard to find
  • Or even if you are concerned if you need to have it checked due to the recall - apparently only the last 6 digits of the VIN are relevant on the recall notice AND the 'Dates available for sale' seem suspect/incorrect
  • To see if you are covered by the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)/Recall.  Even if you don't seem to be in the recall VIN range :link: Hyundai?Hyundai Elantra (HD) & i30 (FD) MDPS and are out of warranty.

Apparently only some of the VIN digits matter in this case - I worked this out from my chat with the Service 2IC (he confirmed my i30 is covered - see below) - ... such as the last 6-8 digits (the last 6 are the serial number - so seemingly a sequential range; the two prior to them is the Year and Plant 'digits') plus the vehicle being specified model.1

As for "'Dates available for sale' seem suspect/incorrect": On the basis of serial number my i30 is covered by the recall notice I will note my i30 was sold in Nov 2010 - which is definitely after end of April 2010.   However it was BUILT within the 'Dates available for sale' - so I wonder if the Build date range is actually what is being shown (instead of the sales date range).   As they happen to agree with the UK recall 'Build' dates - :link: here

So I had a little chat with the Service Center 2IC (and appears his boss was at next desk) when I was in yesterday for other work - mentioned that I thought my VIN was outside the range for the steering recall check, etc. but it was done - so I was wondering if there was a wider range being looked at than the govt. listed recall and if they could give me any info to pass on, but that I expected they couldn't.   All very friendly and no bad looks.

Unfortunately they couldn't give me any details from the TSB (other than what we know already check, reprogram and/or change; and that mine was covered by it/recall) - sought of expected that would be the case regards to giving details.  So don't know if the TSB has the same, or wider, range than that listed in the recall on the govt. site.

My service center's advice was to ring them (if local) or the 1800 number (above) - to check esp. if the EPS is having issues, or if you are wondering if you need it checked (due to the recall).  As not all letters may have been sent/received yet... esp. if the i30 was brought 2nd hand... the owner details may not be up to date and they will want to update that (for such situations).  They will also advise if anything else similar is outstanding (e.g. brake switch).

1 Most of the other digits (and the plant digit) are NOT sequential as they encode various things such as restraint type, trim level, engine, vehicle class, left/right hand drive - however none of that is noted on the recall notice on the govt. site.   It just so happens the first and last vehicles in the i30 recall range where Diesel with SLX trim (apparently) - the first a wagon, the last a hatch (the reason the 8 changed to a 5) - somewhere on the site I think there is/was a link to a PDF that indicated how to decode the VIN from 2010.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:32:56 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal