i30 Owners Club

Choice of Front Disc Diameter

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
It won't be long before my original front pads and discs have to be replaced. When an independent garage replaced the rears on my 1.6 u2 crdi FD hatch they told me that I would have a choice of (I think) 280mm or more expensive 320mm discs at the front. I presume the originals are 320mm. Has anyone else been given this choice and changed from one size to the other? I would be interested to know if one size would last longer than the other, if braking performance would be noticeably different and if there are any other factors I should consider. The original rears were replaced at 190,000 miles and the car is now approaching 200,000 miles on its original front pads and discs.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Your original front discs should be 280mm, as to how long they last that would depend on your driving style and the types of pads used.

Larger brakes will give better braking capability though the cost would significantly be greater as you'd have to replace the callipers as well, I'd be double checking that the larger discs will fit correctly before purchasing though as certain rims might not accommodate a larger setup.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Firstly you dont have a choice. You must use the size that the vehicle is built with.
If you get the wrong size you will either be too small and pads will overlap the outer edge or too big and the caliper simply wont fit.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Also being that your car has already done such a high mileage I wouldn't be spending any more on it than you have to. Save your money for replacement batteries and or other items which may wear out.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Workshop manual lists both sizes but not which variety they are fitted to.
You'll have to measure them. Im betting you'll probably have 280mm but thats just a guess.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Thanks very much for your replies.
I had wondered about calliper compatibility.
The tried and trusted independent that I use mentioned the choice of size. Perhaps both were listed and what they meant was they were unsure which were fitted to my particular car as original equipment. At the time we were talking on the telephone and it was difficult to hear each other so I didn't ask for clarification.
I'll stay with whatever was fitted as standard and hope that the new ones last as well as the originals.
The main financial advantage of going from one size to another would have been if there was an option of going from 320mm discs and pads to 280mm without changing anything else.
Next month I hope to post a 6 year 200,000 mile ownership report. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal