i30 Owners Club

The old girl gets some new shoes!

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
My i30 wagon is getting some new tyres today. Im a bit of a brand snob when it comes to tyres and have always bought Yokohama for all my cars.

I've currently got Yokohama C Drive2 on her. They have been great! I've managed to get 85,000km out of them and only really need to change them because I've been slack getting a wheel alignment and have worn the inside of the tyres.

That, and I was stupid enough to drive on one of them totally flat for 10k's!

No my proudest moment, all I could here was a rummble and of course thought it was something mechanical. I even stopped got out of the car walked around the car, but didn't see the flat when I was park up against the gutter. Anyway... It took someone driving beside me to tell me "mate your back tyre is flat!"

Anyway, I've decided to go with the Yokohama AE50 205/55/16

I would have bought the C Drive2 again, but it's discontinued and this seem like the replacement. They have a huge high load rating like the C Drive so they will be fine carrying the extra weight when I tow the camper.

Will post a review shortly.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that. Yokohama are seldom mentioned as a replacement for the Hankooks. Be a long time before Trish's Tourer needs new tyres hopefully. I will need new 19" tyres for my car by Christmas though probably (expect to have 60K on originals by then). At least being retired I will have plenty of time to shop around. I'll be looking for a good compromise between quietness/ride quality and price, taking brand reputation and wear rates, etc into account. There is certainly a lot to consider.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yokis have always been excellent tyres.
Their only issue was wear rate, which they made no excuses for; simply putting grip above all else.
It would seem they've addressed that issue.

Looking forward to ongoing feedback.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
85,000 out of a set of Yokies is amazing :goodjob: I know some of the biggest tyre retailers here refused to sell Yokies due to short life span ( 50k tyres wearing out in 20k and less ) hopefully that has changed.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
"The old girl gets some new shoes! "

:rolleyes:
 :eek:

"ns"
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Miss Warren

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: The Gonz
"ns"

Ahh, my dear daughter on her wedding day...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
And I was truly honoured, Miss Warren. to be the Best Man on the day.    :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
85,000 out of a set of Yokies is amazing :goodjob: I know some of the biggest tyre retailers here refused to sell Yokies due to short life span ( 50k tyres wearing out in 20k and less ) hopefully that has changed.
I never knew Yokies were known for a short lifespan!

On my 05 Elantra I had the Yokohama A Spec DB Decibel ... Was an excellent tyre that was very quiet and had plenty of grip. Sold the car with over 90,000km on those tyres, rotated only 3 or 4 times and still passed a legitimate road worthy!

So far Ive done a few hundred K's on the AE50's... A lot more quieter than the C Drives they replaced. Pretty happy so far... Bit disappointed they not made in Japan, but now the Philippines

That would possibly explain the good price! Got them on a buy 3 get the 4th free for $405 fitted and balanced!

Paid $650 for the C Drives and close to $900 for the A Spec DB

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal