i30 Owners Club

Choosing Your New Tyres

Surferdude · 107 · 31134

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its only the rims and tyres that make it firm on the road,I've read posts claiming the Sr springs and struts/shockers are the same as mine and yours,stock.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
strange... i do know there is a genuine set of lowered springs for the i30... i wonder why they didnt put them in the SR's?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
visit the UK Hyundai accessories site,the goodies they have are better than the stuff we get in oz.  :mad:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i would think everything you can get there, is avaliable here! just hyundai dont push the stuff here!

Pip
17's!! 18's and up is where its all at man! i personally wouldnt put anything less than a 18'' on an i30 it will look silly and small or have too much sidewall

Personally, I don't go for all these huge diameter rims and low profile tyres......To me (and I'm probably showing my age here), they look like they belong back in the horse & cart days....bloody wagon wheels in other words!  :-[ :lol:
To me, I reckon the 16's on my SLX are a reasonable compromise between comfort, handling and looks....

Rusty, here I'm in complete agreement with you. As an old fart I think really low profile tyres belong on the track. I find the slx profile near to my comfort limit and I do still like to push it occasionally.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
As an old fart I think really low profile tyres belong on the track.

lol you cant be that "old"

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
As an old fart I think really low profile tyres belong on the track.

lol you cant be that "old"
his profile doesn't say.  :wink:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Nuthin' wrong with being an old fart...... :D

Oh, and a tip for young agent.....size is not important.... :wink:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline DaveCRDi

• 2nd Gear
I've got the 16" rims with Hankook tyres on it at the moment (came with the car).

The Hankooks are a bit noisy, but grip seems to be ok with them (although compared with the understeer on my old clio, anything looks ok).
I'll probably replace them with Vredestein tyres when I change, they seem to have a good mix of performance, lifespan, and price, and I've been happy with them in the past.

Interestingly my 2011 model i30 has noticeably stiffer suspension than my 2010 model one had, and this has improved the cornering (although obviously at the expense of a little comfort).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting feedback Dave.. don't try out the handling on that dodgy gravel section with that large tree near your place... :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
lucky it was the bumper and not the drivers door.  :idea:  the i30's in other countries may get the same suspension as us Aussies get.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
would be interesting to compare the springs... any O.S members got a set of springs lying around that they want to measure up?

Offline fastscud

• 2nd Gear
Is there any recommendation for 195/65R15 tyres to replace the stock SX ones?

I'd like something with increased safety (esp in wet), reasonably quiet and good value, and was wondering whether it's worth replacing the stock tyres immediately after I pick up a new SX?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Is there any recommendation for 195/65R15 tyres to replace the stock SX ones?

I'd like something with increased safety (esp in wet), reasonably quiet and good value, and was wondering whether it's worth replacing the stock tyres immediately after I pick up a new SX?

There's plenty of options out there.
Wear (tread life) is always a factor when you look for replacement tyres. Good tread wear means less grip and sometimes a bit of road noise. Softer tread rubber gives better grip and is generally quieter but will wear more rapidly.
Somewhere back in the tyre thread I've given some options but it's still early days yet s most of us are still on the original tyres and therefore don't have feedback on what works on the i30. (different cars will produce different results on the same tyres).
Whereabouts in Oz are you? I may be able to recommend a couple of places to go to for advice.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline fastscud

• 2nd Gear
Hi Trev, please see PM'ed mesage. Thanks a lot.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal