i30 Owners Club

Trev what do you think?

Lakes · 4 · 1798

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well my car has 68,000k up and the SLX wheels & Kumho tyres have 53,000k up so probanly less than 10,000k i'll need new tyres.
I know i originally planed to buy more Kumho's, but i'm thinking about Michelin Energy tyres for  fuel economy.
Trev what do you think of these Tyres/
thanks in advance.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ok. Couple of things.
Firstly, this is basically a silica treaded tyre with some added modifications to the carcass to reduce rolling resistence.
Most of the major manufacturers have something similar and, although Michelin claims to have led the way with this technology (silica compounds), I can't confirm that. Dunlop, Bridegstone, Goodyear and Yokohama all had it at about the same time.
Michelin do a good job of promoting this product by pointing out that 20% of fuel consumption goes to keep a tyre rolling. The casual reader might be forgiven for assuming a 20% decrease in fuel consumption whereas what they are actually saying is because this is such a major factor they've concentrated on reducing that % - not eliminating it. I don't know what actual fuel saving % they are claiming but most are around 2-4%. I'm pretty sure there was an ACCC case a while ago against someone with "wild" claims of about 9% (If my memory serves me correctly).
In addition, Michelin is claiming up to 20% extra tread life but it turns out this is over the current tyre's predecessor so you would need to have some figures as to how well (or otherwise) that tyre wore.
So, you have to be a bit careful about how you read these claims by tyre manufacturers (all of them). They're not being dishonest, just using good marketing techniques to promote their products.
Again, check where the size tyre you want is manufactured.
I'll be interested in your feedback once you've driven on them for a little while. It's always good to have realtime information.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Lakes, what size are your tyres? I seem to remember you have 205/55R16 and the Energy only comes in an "H" speed rating. Does that compare with yours? It's OK to go down a speed rating if you have to as long as the Load Index (91) is either equal or better. But many people don't want to drop their speed rating.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thanks Trev, was not expecting to see a big gain in fuel saving. but would be interesting. as i read Hyundai used those Michelin tyres to get emission down to get below 120? to save rego tax in euro. so if they saw a gain in that area, they must do something to cut friction. will depend on if they have my size and on the price. one of my friends with a four cyl ford has those tyres and said how smooth they are and happy with economy on trips. but did not realy know what gain in economy if any as does not check. i'm still getting down in the 4's in the country & low 5's per 100k in Syd so happy.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal