i30 Owners Club

Wider wheels: 16x8 Mazda FD (RX7) wheels fit I30/Elantra-Touring.

Offline wisconsin-autocrosser

• 2nd Gear
  • Cone-head

• us United States
      Milwaukee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is nearing winter here in the northern hemisphere,  so I  took the time today to test fit some of the wheels that I have for fitment on my 2011 Elantra-Touring (I30CW).  I test fitted my winter wheels/tires.  I also have a set of Mazda RX7 16x8 ET50 wheels, and to my pleasant suprise, they fit quite nicely on the Hyundai.  The centerbore is the same as the Hyundai, and there is still a fat finger width between the inside rim and the strut.  At about 15 pounds, there are vey few aftermarkek wheels in this size that are lighter--it is a fantastic performace option.  According to my math, compared to the OE 17x7 ET55 wheels, the 16x8 ET 50 wheels will be 8mm closer to strut and about 18mm wider to the outside (the extra 1" of width is 26mm, but because it has a bit more offset more of the width goes towards the outside; if the offset is the same it would be a 13mm/13mm split...).

I am certain that a 225/50-16 will fit very nicely and will be very square on that wheel...and perhaps a 245/45-16 will just fit as well, for a bit more aggressive look.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting feedback but just be careful how it effects your speedo.. might need to do a test run with a GPS...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

• 2nd Gear
  • Cone-head

• us United States
      Milwaukee
Interesting feedback but just be careful how it effects your speedo.. might need to do a test run with a GPS...

Nope.  No issue whatsoever.  215/45-17 is about 24.6" Diameter, and the 225/50-16 is about 24.9".  That makes the change in circumferance (revs/mile) insignificant.  The 245/45-16 is also 24.6", FWIW.   From the speedo's point of view, they are all the same! :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Guess you have already checked on one of those tyre size calculators... I was going to provide a link..

It's all good then  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

• 2nd Gear
  • Cone-head

• us United States
      Milwaukee
Must be a function of my racing background, but I can see a tire (tyre) size and pretty much know its specs.  Scary. :evil:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
No pictures of the RX-7 wheels on the i30? would be great to see them
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

• 2nd Gear
  • Cone-head

• us United States
      Milwaukee
No pictures of the RX-7 wheels on the i30? would be great to see them

Nope; no tires (tyres) on the wheels...and the wheels are in desperate need of restoration.  They are coated in baked-on brakedust from the previous owner.  I am trying to sell them, but if I have them come April, I may try and find some sticky rubber and make daily-drivers out of them.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal