Surferdude's New Tyres

Surferdude · 118 · 36606

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's great news Trev.. I doubt Trish will ever wear hers out though so I can get her some  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Instroe
Surferdude.
Can you give me an update on your  Goodyear Duraplus tyre wear, longevity, performance etc.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude.
Can you give me an update on your  Goodyear Duraplus tyre wear, longevity, performance etc.

OK.
Watch this space for report tomorrow. Update was about due as they've just crossed 15,000 klms.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The originals hit 51k and counting..Still as grippy as day one.....

Have one of those tyres I got off Ebay as the spare. I am hoping the other 4 will make the 60k service for ease of changing over.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear
  • Perth, Western Australia

• au Australia
      Perth WA
surferdude, any speculation on how the tyres would fare on i30 diesel?
  • 08 i30 CRDi SX Hatch in Mica Black

Instroe
I've managed to get 38,249 kms out of my original Hankook Optimo 195/65R15's on the CRDi. Around 7,000 kms have been done towing a 6x4 trailer with camping gear, canoes etc which would have a gross weight of say 280 kilos, wind resistance with canoes and towing on highways at 100 kms/hr. Plus 4 people on board with a boot full of gear. Tyres changed from front to back at around 16,000 kms. Fairly even wear on all 4 tyres.. I was initially getting more wear on the outsides of the tyre until surferdude suggested increasing the pressure a little, I went up to 250 kPa which is 50 kPa below the 300 kPa max limit of the tyre.
I guess it's fair kms?  2.6 mm of  tread left in the deepest section.

Awaiting surferdudes findings on the Goodyear Duraplus tyres.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They now have 45,000 klm on them - or will by Sunday.
So, 6,000 klms since rotation.
About 6.8mm on the rear which started life on the front.
7.0 mm on the fronts.
Even wear  on all 4
No feathering.
No shoulder wear.

1DRR, I see no reason why they should perform any differently on a diesel. The weight difference is minimal.
Maybe run 38psi in the front (I run 36 but am not anal about checking them so they tend to get down to maybe 30 sometimes before I get my act into gear and check them. Yeah. Yeah. I know. :-[ :-[

As for performance, they are still as quiet as when they went on.
They handle all conditions fine.
I can break the front away on roundabouts in the wet but I've yet to find a car or tyre I couldn't do that with. (Except maybe the Eagle F1).

The only issue is they don't yet come in a size to suit our 16" wheels.

Instroe
Surferdude
Is you odometer reading 45,000 kms or have you done 45,000 kms on the same set of Duraplus with still over 6mm of tread left on them?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude
Is you odometer reading 45,000 kms or have you done 45,000 kms on the same set of Duraplus with still over 6mm of tread left on them?

No. Not on the same set. Sorry. The detail is all further up this post including my unhappy wear with the originals and photos.
Duraplus were fitted at about 29,000 k. Rotated at 39,000 k or thereabouts.
I said at the first rotation I expected to get 50,000 out of them which in my experience is a good result.
Still look to be on track for that number or a bit more since wear slows down as the tread gets lower (less flex in the tread blocks).

Instroe
OK so 50,000 out of a set of tyres made for longevity. Is that about normal? Maybe I'm expecting a bit too much.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Still look to be on track for that number or a bit more since wear slows down as the tread gets lower (less flex in the tread blocks).

You learn something new everyday in this place.
Which is a good thing because if, for example, I lose a thousand brain cells a day if I have a couple of glasses of wine, it means that I can add two thousand cells a day by reading all the posts on here.
So by drinking red wine and being an i30ownersclub.com member, I can actually increase my nett intelligence on an ongoing basis.
How's that for a win/win  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK so 50,000 out of a set of tyres made for longevity. Is that about normal? Maybe I'm expecting a bit too much.

Please refer here...........

I should mention, there's some claims from overseas of 100,000 klm tread life. The assumption is the rubber is very hard. It's not. I make no claims about tread life but will be surprised if I don't exceed 50,000 klms. Also, as the tyre is so quiet, I also doubt we have the same tyre as the overseas (Asian) version, even though they are made over there.
They are also designed with a wider footprint than you would expect on a 195 casing so, I also think they'll be less susceptible to sholder wear from roundabouts.

and here................

Quote from: tla on 29-06-2011, 19:41:42

Thanks for the review!  Duraplus will be on my to-buy list when my current Hankooks wear out.

tla, just be careful. Some of the reviews from Asia aren't as complimetary as I have been. I do know tyres made for Australian market are made to our specifications, given the high mileage we can do, the temperature extremes and the road conditions.

If I gave the impression they were "Made for longevity" I apologise. I was trying to make the point that the Asian market tyres made such claims but resulted in complaints about ride and noise. You'll note I suggested the tyres made for Oz were to different specs given their quietness and good ride qualities (my opinion and that of some others who have had them longer on other makes of cars).

Instroe
Surferdude
It's Goodyear that say they are built for long life, however their Australian site doesn't mention any particular expected kms, I wouldn't expect them too since, cars, driving habits, conditions make it impossible. Cut and paste from their site below:

Exclusive to Goodyear Autocare, The Goodyear Duraplus has been designed to deliver a durable and long lasting tread by utilising Goodyear Tredlife Technology. Behind Tredlife Technology are a number of tyre design innovations made to deliver longer lasting treads. It incorporates a wider tread profile that leads to an increased road footprint and more wearable rubber in contact with the road. Furthermore, an advanced carbon-based tread compound is used so that the tyre has a higher resistance to frictional wear, which can further increase the tyre's tread life and increase mileage.

Either way I should be getting a set of 4 fitted on Monday after ordering them today. I'll post pricing and the Tyre outlet/branch once they are on the car.

Thanks surferdude for your valued advice - always very professional.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude
It's Goodyear that say they are built for long life, however their Australian site doesn't mention any particular expected kms, I wouldn't expect them too since, cars, driving habits, conditions make it impossible. Cut and paste from their site below:

Exclusive to Goodyear Autocare, The Goodyear Duraplus has been designed to deliver a durable and long lasting tread by utilising Goodyear Tredlife Technology. Behind Tredlife Technology are a number of tyre design innovations made to deliver longer lasting treads. It incorporates a wider tread profile that leads to an increased road footprint and more wearable rubber in contact with the road. Furthermore, an advanced carbon-based tread compound is used so that the tyre has a higher resistance to frictional wear, which can further increase the tyre's tread life and increase mileage.

Either way I should be getting a set of 4 fitted on Monday after ordering them today. I'll post pricing and the Tyre outlet/branch once they are on the car.

Thanks surferdude for your valued advice - always very professional.
Glad to have been of help Mate.
Just remember, stuff on the website and in brochures is written by marketing people (that would have been me :whistler:) using information given them by technical people but written in such a way as to put it in the best light.
And just quietly, the Duraplus replaced a tyre which had developed a reputation for poor tread life. But it was inconsistent. I reckon it suites ome cars really well (like my Subaru) and other poorly.
But I think you'll be happy with the Duraplus.

Pip

You learn something new everyday in this place.
Which is a good thing because if, for example, I lose a thousand brain cells a day if I have a couple of glasses of wine, it means that I can add two thousand cells a day by reading all the posts on here.
So by drinking red wine and being an i30ownersclub.com member, I can actually increase my nett intelligence on an ongoing basis.
How's that for a win/win  :D
How far into the bottle were you when that logic felt right?

Maybe it's just that I've not read enough posts today or that I'm also too far into the bottle myself but I'm not smart enough to understand it.  :confused:
One thousand... two thousand... oh buggar it... :wacko:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
As it was at 11 minutes past one this afternoon, I hadn't even started  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
I was following this thread with interest until you said this.

My original Hankooks are not lasting as long as I expected (last car 80k for 5).  This car 50k down and perhaps 15k to go. Gives me a year or less to choose a replacement.

Being retired, I probably have enough time to choose but recommendations from yourself certainly help.  Good to have you here.  :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I was following this thread with interest until you said this.

My original Hankooks are not lasting as long as I expected (last car 80k for 5).  This car 50k down and perhaps 15k to go. Gives me a year or less to choose a replacement.

Being retired, I probably have enough time to choose but recommendations from yourself certainly help.  Good to have you here.  :goodjob2:
Yeah. At this stage they only have 215/60R16 in the 16" stuff. There will be more as time passes but I don't have a schedule.

Instroe
Got the four new tyres today Goodyear Duraplus 195/65R15, supplied, fitted, new valves, balanced and wheel alignment for $500 inc GST.
Not sure if this is good value or not, but was the best I could get after a phone around. Got them from the Goodyear dealer at Boronia. Tyres are made inChina

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I posted up $111 (not fitted or balanced) on page one and the consensus was that was a good price.

So $500 fitted, balanced and with a wheel alignment would be excellent I would think.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Got the four new tyres today Goodyear Duraplus 195/65R15, supplied, fitted, new valves, balanced and wheel alignment for $500 inc GST.
Not sure if this is good value or not, but was the best I could get after a phone around. Got them from the Goodyear dealer at Boronia. Tyres are made inChina
Sounds OK to me.
Oh. Of course, you got the fourth tyre free deal.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Would you personally rate these as better than 195/65r15 Mastercraft/Contis?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yes.
I could have accessed either of the others at a good price but chose the Duraplus. Now, some 15,000 klms on I have no regrets.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yes.
I could have accessed either of the others at a good price but chose the Duraplus. Now, some 15,000 klms on I have no regrets.

Might end up with a set of these, then, if I do not find any suitable and attractive wheels shortly. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Trev..

I will need new tyres in the next month my Hybrid has done 48,500 on the Dunlop 300E originals which I have been happy with. They have been rotated every 15K by the dealer but the fronts are very close to the tread marker (the backs still have maybe 5K left in them but I will do all 4 at once.

You say the Duraplus comes in my size 215/60R16 but are they an eco tyre (Fuel saver?)

I'm tempted by the Michelin or Goodyear eco tyres as Fuel Economy and quietness are more important to me than wear rates...

What is your recommendation taking that into account please? (and how long is the 4 for 3 goodyear deal on?)  :happydance:

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
4 for 3 goodyear deal

Is this at Goodyear tyre centres? Or..?

EDIT: Just Googled it. It's until next Saturday the 14th April.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

4 for 3 goodyear deal

Is this at Goodyear tyre centres? Or..?

EDIT: Just Googled it. It's until next Saturday the 14th April.

At Goodyear Autocare? only.. I just googled it (Until Saturday 14th April only)

http://www.goodyearautocare.com.au/centric/gac2/tyres/4for3.jsp?s_kwcid=TC|14017|%2Bgoodyear||S|b|14065049431&gclid=CKmo5JixpK8CFcODpAodw2e3WQ

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Tyres are made inChina

surferdude, are yours Chinese too?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Tyres are made inChina

surferdude, are yours Chinese too?
Mine are Indonesian. Goodyear has factories all over SE Asia.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Trev..

I will need new tyres in the next month my Hybrid has done 48,500 on the Dunlop 300E originals which I have been happy with. They have been rotated every 15K by the dealer but the fronts are very close to the tread marker (the backs still have maybe 5K left in them but I will do all 4 at once.

You say the Duraplus comes in my size 215/60R16 but are they an eco tyre (Fuel saver?)

I'm tempted by the Michelin or Goodyear eco tyres as Fuel Economy and quietness are more important to me than wear rates...

What is your recommendation taking that into account please? (and how long is the 4 for 3 goodyear deal on?)  :happydance:

Dazz, if you have been happy with the 300e and they are still available, you could stick with them if you've been happy.
The deal, as you have discovered, is only at Goodyear Autocare and the Duraplus is exclusive to them anyway. But Goodyear can do the 4/4/3 deal on Dunop as well. However, I seem to remember the 300e is on the way out. It was actually released in about 2002 or 2003, so it's getting a bit long in the tooth technology wise. having said that, we have them on Claire's Corolla (there was one in the spare when we bought it so just kept adding to it.

As someone else has already posted, here is the blurb on the Duraplus.

DURAPLUS

Exclusive to Goodyear Autocare, The Goodyear Duraplus has been designed to deliver a durable and long lasting tread by utilising Goodyear Tredlife Technology. Behind Tredlife Technology are a number of tyre design innovations made to deliver longer lasting treads. It incorporates a wider tread profile that leads to an increased road footprint and more wearable rubber in contact with the road. Furthermore, an advanced carbon-based tread compound is used so that the tyre has a higher resistance to frictional wear, which can further increase the tyre's tread life and increase mileag

Be aware the Duraplus in asymmetrical.
IMO tyre pressure is as important (if not more so) than a specially designed tread compound for fuel economy. So maintaining pressure at the agreed level is critical.
All the tests I have looked at where improved fuel economy is claimed have worked out in reality to about a tank of fuel over the life of the tyres. Maybe if you were doing high annual mileage, this might be worthwhile, but for me it doesn't rate highly.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal