i30 Owners Club

Busted Windscreen Washers

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
Hiya, 1st post here...

Yesterday the wife told me that I needed to put screenwash in our i30. I put some in, but didn't think I had put much in before it frothed and backwashed up the bottle.

I let it settle and then poured some more in. Again, it didn't seem to take much before it frothed up. I pumped the washers to pull the fluid through and operation seemed fine.

Now today the wife is telling me that the front washer jets are barely skooshing halfway up the window, while the back washer isn't working at all. The pump seems to be working as she can 'hear a whirring noise when I use the washers'.

My first reaction is a blockage - possibly an airlock - in the pipe, but thats probably wrong as my car knowledge can be scribbled on a beer-mat.

Any ideas on what it could be? Its a 59' Hyundai i30 Comfort (1.6) ... if it turns out to be the pump, is this likely covered by warranty or is it a wear-and-tear part, and so chargeable?

Cheers.

:)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi and welcome.

Were the washers working prior to putting in the screen wash but as you say you didn't put much in then I would guess they were broken.?

It takes a couple of litres to fill.

From memory there are 2 pumps, 1 front 1 back, and work independently.
This has been covered elsewhere on the site and when they have been replaced they are a warranty item.

To check, get someone to sit in the car and activate the screen wash, front then back.  You get  by the washer bottle and you should hear the motor when activated.
Silence = bust, so to say.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Definitely a pump issue, if you have a problem both front and rear.

I'm on my 3rd pump ('08 UK model) as the first started performing in much the same way as you described - the motor was pumping but nothing arrived at the rear (the single pump services both front & rear).

The replacement fitted under warranty was itself faulty, as tested at fitting time by the dealership (it made the right noises but delivered not a drop).

Have a word with your dealer - it's definitely covered by your warranty :)

Welcome to the forum :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Definitely a pump issue, if you have a problem both front and rear.

I'm on my 3rd pump ('08 UK model) as the first started performing in much the same way as you described - the motor was pumping but nothing arrived at the rear (the single pump services both front & rear).

The replacement fitted under warranty was itself faulty, as tested at fitting time by the dealership (it made the right noises but delivered not a drop).

Have a word with your dealer - it's definitely covered by your warranty :)

Welcome to the forum :D
I wonder what type of fluid you fill the tank with as the pumps break down so often.
I haven't had any problems so far, except for two times when the wash fluid froze in the tank  :D

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^

Yeah. I've never been a fan of additives in the washers.
Just water for me.
If it gets really dirty (bugs, mud etc), I use a chamois which I carry in the glovebox.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

^^

Just water for me.
If it gets really dirty (bugs, mud etc), I use a chamois which I carry in the glovebox.
I see the temperature never drops below freezing in your area  :whistler:, otherwise you would spend an hour or more while waiting for ice in a wash tank to melt

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^

Just water for me.
I see the temperature never drops below freezing in your area  :whistler: , otherwise you would spend an hour or more while waiting for ice in a wash tank to melt

Quite true. :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Doc. Too much additive can glug things up ... Sounds like you put a fair bit in  :whistler:  You could try flushing the majority of it out by sticking a hose in the washer bottle and running it until the majority of the suds has dispersed  :idea: Then test it again.. Didn't have a problem with our first i30 which we had for around two and a half years...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine did the same thing on the big trip, didn't worry too much about it. By the time I had stopped for dinner (we don't get too many fuel stops in the diesel) I had a look, but it had fixed itself.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
Haha, thanks guys.

I didn't think I put much in.. its a new 2.5l bottle I opened and I've only tipped in maybe a half-litre before it backwashed. Its the first time I've had to top it up since I got the car in May.

I'll have another look today and report back. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
Just been out at the car, and the pump is definitely trying to operate.. the front washers are barely producing a trickle, but rear washer isn't spraying at all; although definite sound of motor in operation when front/rear washer is activated. Guy in the street who claims to 'know about cars' suggests that there may be a blocked filter between the washer reservoir and the pump.

I'll get my local mechanic to diagnose tomorrow, before I embark on the trip to the dealership if it does turn out to be pump at fault.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Just been out at the car, and the pump is definitely trying to operate.. the front washers are barely producing a trickle, but rear washer isn't spraying at all; although definite sound of motor in operation when front/rear washer is activated. Guy in the street who claims to 'know about cars' suggests that there may be a blocked filter between the washer reservoir and the pump.

I'll get my local mechanic to diagnose tomorrow, before I embark on the trip to the dealership if it does turn out to be pump at fault.

You may verify whether a filter is clogged or not yourself

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
meehalych

Where did you get thew drawings from.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

meehalych

Where did you get thew drawings from.
That is from Russian site www.elcats.ru , so you must be logged in before proceeding to these drawings

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

This is a pipe for the rear washer, so there is only one pump in our cars

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I need a drawing of the diesel fuel tank and it's pipes. I guess it's in Russian?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I need a drawing of the diesel fuel tank and it's pipes. I guess it's in Russian?

You forgot the "magic" word  :whistler: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Excuse me,,,,,, Please

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

wait a moment, I'll find one and send you a link to the picture on photobucket in PM
Do you have a hatch-back version?

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal