i30 Owners Club

i30 SX 2011-built 1.6lt Petrol Auto-transmission noise on low rpm

Offline djwongtf

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi everybody,

I just bought my car around 3 months ago and did approximately 6000 km. I noticed that when I am cruising at low rpm especially on third gear at around 40-50 km/h and encounter a slope, if I press the throttle lightly and it stays in third gear, there is a weird clacking noise until the engine reaches around 3000 rpm. But if I throttle hard and the car goes into second gear I don't hear the weird noise unless if the car goes into third gear again due to speed gain and I'm still on the slope. This is quite annoying if you want to for example maintain a constant speed of 60 km/h on the slope on third gear. I would say that the noise resembles an engine lugging noise from my experience driving manual cars in the past, but my car is an auto and the 1.6 lt seems powerful enough to encounter some of the light slopes where I encounter the noise. Does anyone know where this noise comes from?

Thank you.
  • i30 2011 SX 1.6 Petrol Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Didier and welcome,

We don't have huge numbers of Members on here with a 1.6 petrol Auto so please be patient for replies.

Haven't heard anyone complain of that before (has the Dealer got any ideas?)  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline djwongtf

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks for replying. I didn't contact the dealer yet as I am not sure if the noise is abnormal because it is quite faint. I was thinking of doing the 7500 k service and tell them about the issue on the day.  :) But just wanted to make sure online first.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I would mention it to the dealership anyway just in case it does develop into a problem, then at least it's recorded on the system.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I do not know much about the 1.6 engine fitted to Aussie i30's.  Is it a more modern engine than the Beta II 2 litre engine fitted to my i30 Tropy manual and as fitted to my previous 2003 Elantra FX and 2007 Tucson City ?  They must have made zillions of those engines.   I heard a rumour the other day that the Beta II 2 litre engine is also available in the the 2012 Aussie i30 ?   From what I know about the 2012 model the only petrol engine available is the new 1.8.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Only 1.8 as far as I know.

Definately only 1.8 in the petrol

http://www.hyundai.com.au/vehicles/i30/specification-range

The confusion might be that they still list the FD CW

http://www.hyundai.com.au/vehicles/i30cw/specification-range

Apparently the 1.6 Petrol was a newer design (with Chain Driven cam I believe like the new 1.8 petrol)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline djwongtf

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sorry about the confusion everybody. My car is the old i30 built 2011 with the 1.6 petrol engine. I think MY11.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal