i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 1.8 petrol starting to sound like a diesel in the mornings.

i30RSA · 8 · 7398

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Hey, guess what, its me again. Its been 4 months of going to the dealership with my car now. Its still ratteling and clattering in the mornings, its gotten so bad now that it sounds like a diesel truck when I start it in the mornings and when accelerating it sounds like a diesel truck on a cold winters morning.

They replaced my tapped cover and rings with new ones, hasnt worked, they tried different oil, no change. My exhaust system has also started giving problems as it has a rattle and vibrating sound when I accelerate, almost sounds like a nail or something stuck in the exhaust.

Took it to the dealership a few weeks ago so they could listen to the ratteling sound in the engine I get when I rev it above 2500 rpm and keep it there, sounds like nails got let loose in the engine. They said that they would replace the ROCKER ASSEMBLY which operates the valves as they suspected the valve clearance to be out. Apparently its not something that you could just fix with tools, you have to completely replace the part. They told me that they would order the part, 2 weeks later I phoned and they never ordered the part as they said that they thought it not necessary to replace the part on a brand new car that hasnt even done 10 000kms although they were convinced that it was the rocker assembly and the valve clearance that was giving the problems. Apparently they cant find anything wrong in the engine and even had the cheek to tell me that I was imagining stuff that wasnt there. Now im taking it to another dealership to have them thoroughly inspect the engine and have them write a report if they find something wrong which im then gonna take to the first dealership and confront them with. I havent had a days pleasure from this car as its been giving me problems for the last 4 months now right from the very start. Im fed up with this car, ive had it up to my forehead, considering selling it and getting an A-Class Merc, something I should have done from the very start. Anyone like the A45 AMG say aye  :Shocked:
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
That is very disappointing about your i30.  Notwithstanding, I do like the Merc!!

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Its a great car dont get me wrong, but as for the built quality of the engine its horrendous ! My car hasnt even done 10 000kms and its been to the dealership 6 times in 4 months, my complaints hasnt brought me anywhere. The car sounds like a diesel in the morning when I start it cold and when I drive it and accelerate. As I rev it above 2500rpm thers like a distinct ratteling sound coming from inside the engine, its more like a vibrating sound, like the tappets or valves thats not working properly, hence the problem with the rocker assembly and the valve clearance. When I rev the car above 2500rpm the entire car starts vibrating and shaking and it has a distinct misfiring sound to it, as if not all the pistons are firing at the correct time, when it idles in the garage in the morning I have to close the doors leading to the house as the garage wreaks of petrol fumes. Apparently the technicians at the Hyundai dealership cant find anything wrong with the engine but how could they get away with it when it sounds so terrible in the morning, how could they not pick up the ratteling and clattering sound, the vibrating above 2500rpm, the suffocating petrol fumes.

Im taking it to another Hyundai dealership shortly to have BMW mechanics look at it (the BMW dealership owner also has the BMW dealership) so they could have a look at it. I mean, they work with way more sophisticated cars and equipment so hopefully they could get it. Having them write me a report on what they find wrong if they get anything, so I could light a atom bomb under the other Hyundai garage.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
This was actually supposed to go under PROBLEMS AND ISSUES : PETROL ! Sorry for posting it under the wrong category . . . . :rolleyes:
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You've had a hell of a time with this motor haven't you :(

Get rid of it while the noises are all in your head. Fingers crossed the buyer doesn't have the same imagination  :cool:

Quote from: i30RSA
... (the BMW dealership owner also has the BMW dealership) ...
Yeah, that would make it easier for them :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Lol ok, it was late at night ok, I meant the BMW owner also owns the Hyundai dealership, hahaha very funny :lol:

As for the sounds in my head, I do happen to have exceptionally good hearing and that engine does NOT sound to well to me, it might be something loose thats vibrating or a bracket or something else but heck that engine does sound like an old diesel truck in the mornings, its winter over here so the cold starts are terrible, especially if its been standing outside in the cold for a while. It seems to get better as it heats up but if thats an indication of what the engine sounds like in the mornings, I cant expect it to sound any better when the car is at full operating temperature.

Ive had the car at the workshop and apparently theyre to stupid to figure out whats up with the car since my dad and my brother also commented on the ratteling sound in the engine and the exhaust making a ratteling sound. Took it to the dealership, they 'fixed' the ratteling sound and fitted a brand new muffler and yet again it rattles.

Taking it to the BMW dealerhip in another city(THE ONE THAT ALSO OWNS THE HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP) on Tuesday so they can listen to the car, then im having them write a report to the other dealership if and when they point out the problem !

Ill keep you guys updated . . . .

• i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Have they checked the nut behind the wheel?  :undecided:

Yeah, might have a screw loose  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal