i30 Owners Club

Black smoke on startup

Dennis · 24 · 7731

Offline Dennis

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Gambier
My i30 petrol car runs rough and black smoke comes from the exhaust after sitting in the garage overnight. It lasts for about 10 seconds and then is fine, no problems during the day. It started intermittently but is now getting to be regular. I am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow to be checked, it has only done 4000km since we bought it at the start of February this year.
  • I30 Premium

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
boy something with the fuel mixture has gone hay wire,like you say take it back to the dealer,they have to fix it.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Dennis, welcome to the i 30 club. :welcome: :whsaid:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Hi Dennis and :wttc:

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/exhaust-color.html

Link on some of the causes of different color exhaust.  Definitely get it checked. Lets us know what they find. Good luck
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Paying with black money can cause black diesel smoke.
So my wife said.

Offline Dennis

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Gambier
Well I took my i30 to the dealer and they told me there was a recognised issue with the idle control after the car had been sitting for quite a few hours. They had a fix for it that required reprogramming. Apparently they had already applied the fix to around 6 other cars and no further issues occurred. They reprogrammed our car and assured us it should be okay now. It was in and out of their service centre in under 40 minutes :).
We are going away for 3 days along the great ocean road so hopefully there will be no further issues.
  • I30 Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :fingers: Dennis :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the update Dennis - that's very useful information.

Was your Premium new when you bought it in February?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dennis

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Gambier
Hi, yes it was new when we bought it, we have just arrived back home after our weekend away, we had 3 very cold mornings and no issues at all on startup so it was definitely fixed with the reprogramming of the idle control :)
  • I30 Premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Excellent news
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
Thanks for your timely post. My  i30 premium, petrol car  has been shuddering on startup first thing in mornings for a couple of weeks now on cold mornings. Is kept in garage always ,  and I was thinking of getting it checked out. It was bought new in October 2013. Haven't noticed any black smoke in my garage tho.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

Well I took my i30 to the dealer and they told me there was a recognised issue with the idle control after the car had been sitting for quite a few hours. They had a fix for it that required reprogramming. Apparently they had already applied the fix to around 6 other cars and no further issues occurred. They reprogrammed our car and assured us it should be okay now. It was in and out of their service centre in under 40 minutes :).
We are going away for 3 days along the great ocean road so hopefully there will be no further issues.

Hi Dennis, which dealer fixed your car??
Mine is still at my dealers and they just rang me to say they cant find any problem. I told them it only happens first thing in morning and the guy who picked it up from me this morning would have noticed it. I told them it was a known issue and reprogramming would fix it. Thought I could quote your dealer if they still have an issue.  One thing, I didn't have black smoke, just the shuddering.
I told them all this when I booked it in, seems nobody communicates any more. Crossing my fingers now...
  • i30 Premium

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
It's odd that it would need to be reprogrammed to get it sorted - maybe the idle control portion of the ECU dumps too much fuel into the engine at startup?

When I first read the original post I thought it might be valve stem seals. This usually happens on higher mileage cars though, as the oil seeps through the seals and settles on the valve or piston, hence the black smoke on startup.

Glad to hear it is sorted though!!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's odd that it would need to be reprogrammed to get it sorted - maybe the idle control portion of the ECU dumps too much fuel into the engine at startup?

When I first read the original post I thought it might be valve stem seals. This usually happens on higher mileage cars though, as the oil seeps through the seals and settles on the valve or piston, hence the black smoke on startup.

Oil smoke usually burns blue  :exclaim:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

Oil smoke usually burns blue  :exclaim:
Our SA oils burn black as tar, I'd know as I had an old diesel pickup truck that would almost use more oil than actual diesel  :mrgreen:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Dennis

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Gambier
Hi, I had my car serviced at Barry Maney Hyundai in Mount Gambier. Barry Maney do Hyundai, Ford and Volkswagen.  (08) 8721 3400 is the number to ring and ask the girl for the service department.
  • I30 Premium

Offline Dennis

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Gambier
By the way, the black smoke was only for a few seconds and I spotted it when the wife started the car! You wouldn't see it if you were in the driver's seat.
  • I30 Premium

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So it's the wife's fault! :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

By the way, the black smoke was only for a few seconds and I spotted it when the wife started the car! You wouldn't see it if you were in the driver's seat.
Thanks Dennis, hopefully I won't need to contact him.
 They have delivered the car back to me, all fixed hopefully. I will check it out tomorrow morning.
They certainly have communication problems at this dealer. I explained everything when I booked it in. I was told it would be picked up from me around 9am, so set my alarm for 8am. My phone rang at 7.30am when I was fast asleep  :rolleyes:, to say they will be there in 15mins. Lady apologized and I agreed  for pickup in 30mins.... 10mins later I get a call saying they have arrived to pick up car   :eek:
All I can say is, I hope it is fixed.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:fingers:

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

Sorry, late with update. Got my car back and all is now ok. Starts up immediately in the mornings with no shuddering.  :happydance:
Their checking did not find any errors, but I told them that others had the problem fixed by reprogramming the idle control, so they must have believed me.
Thanks to the people on this forum, I find it's a great source of information  :goodjob2:
  • i30 Premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Great result.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:iws:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal