i30 SR & Fuel Consumption

msoon · 46 · 13260

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi guys,

I'm new here. :)

Just bought an i30 SR 2 Petrol 2.0 L (Automatic) , 2 weeks ago and I'm seeing on my dash - 9.2 L/100km.

I've driven about 500km so far in the city and on highways (60% city, 40% highway). Is 9.2L normal?

Thanks in advance.

~ Mark
  • 2014 i30 SR 2.0 L 5 Door Hatchback

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi, it depends on the type of city driving.  I was getting 9.4 from brand new travelling through inner west to Homebush in my 1.8L i30. I think the urban cycle is quoted as something close to your figure. However, lately I have been averaging 7.2L - still in daily Sydney grind but sitting on highway (Car park) for 30mins. I'm happy with 7.2L peak hour driving conditions. I have done 24,000 kms.

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks Pidim,

But how did you drop from 9.4L to 7.2 (during peak hours)?

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I think the new 1.8 i30 engine is far superior and advanced than ye olde Beta II 2 litre engines in the FD's, including my 2L manual.  I get around 8L per 100km, (700 km to the tank) regional and town driving, but town for us is a 5 km cruise @ 60kmh with two sets of lights and one roundabout.

On a country trip I get about 800km to a full tank of 95.

9.2 is not good, 7.2 is good from the reports above.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I know, I'm so cut that I've been sitting between 9.2 - 9.6 L/100km when I've been reading about how so many i30 owners are sitting between 7-8 L/100.

What's happening I wonder. I've even tried using the Activ Eco which doesn't do squat for my fuel economy.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think the new 1.8 i30 engine is far superior and advanced than ye olde Beta II 2 litre engines in the FD's, including my 2L manual.  I get around 8L per 100km, (700 km to the tank) regional and town driving, but town for us is a 5 km cruise @ 60kmh with two sets of lights and one roundabout.

On a country trip I get about 800km to a full tank of 95.

9.2 is not good, 7.2 is good from the reports above.
Lester@ their talking about the SR engine which is a 2ltr " not a 1.8ltr "
I know, I'm so cut that I've been sitting between 9.2 - 9.6 L/100km when I've been reading about how so many i30 owners are sitting between 7-8 L/100.

What's happening I wonder. I've even tried using the Activ Eco which doesn't do squat for my fuel economy.
msoon@ you should start to see better fuel economy after a few thousand km's, the engine needs to loosen up yet and the oil type used can make a difference as well.

You could also ask your Hyundai service centre if there is a ECU update for your vehicle yet as these can fix some niggling issues with rough idling - blowing smoke - excessive fuel use.

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Oh interesting! Thanks Craig. I'll check with them. I'm due for my first servicing check in 2 weeks.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Your welcome, I recommend you supply your own oil as it'll be better that the cheap stuff Hyundai will put in it, Nulon or Royal Purple are my preferences ( the latter being quite expensive )

If you supply your own oil Hyundai should also drop your capped price servicing cost to $150, that's what my service centre reduced it by anyway.

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Craig: so I purchase the oil and bring it to the servicing? Or should I just fill it up myself prior to that? Car is pretty new so I doubt there'd be a need for an oil top up so soon.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes you take your own oil to the service centre which they'll use at your recommendation, if you are coming up to the first initial free service then you should be given new oil at this period.

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Craig: will they just top it up (at this first servicing) or totally replace the oil I've provided them with?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It'll be fully replaced, you cant just top up as you would end up with too much oil and after pouring in a container of oil it'll be coming out the top of the engine :Shocked:

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Ah. Okay cool. Thanks a bunch mate. This is my first car so I'm still at the newbie stage

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Your welcome :)

Your're lucky to have a new SR as a first car, my first car in 87 was a 1975 TD Ford Cortina that cost me $3000.

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Haha I had a Mazda that my dad gave me (really old  626). After it got stolen,  I never bought one of my own. Then I moved to Sydney where I always had access to public transport. After more than 1.5 decades, I decided to spoil myself and go for an SR. Love it heaps but the fuel economy ain't as good as advertised. And the speedometer is a little off.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Mark, I like the new SR with the 2.0 GDI motor, but it would be the thirstiest of the i30 model.. Craig, I am surprised you think they will change the oil at the first free service as it is usually only an inspection. You could ask them to change the oil if you supply it yourself, but they may charge you for labour...   
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dazzler@ I was sure that my report sheet after the 1500km service mentioned oil change though I don't have that paper now so I may be wrong :undecided:

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I should call up and find out.

Craig:roughly how much is a new tank of oil gonna set me back?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If they don't change it at the 1500km service I'd just leave it till the full service is due.

A new 5ltr container of Nulon 5W-30 full synthetic is roughly $50/60 from any of the local auto parts suppliers ( Autopro- Supercheap etc )

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Oh great. That's not too costly at all. Thanks matey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Especially when Hyundai deduct $69 from the capped price $219 as they did for me :)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks Pidim,

But how did you drop from 9.4L to 7.2 (during peak hours)?

Even though I mainly drive in traffic for a similar amount of time, I now spend most of it on the M5, and even though I travel at about 50km/hour I basically never use my brakes for the entire journey, so I'm guessing the momentum creates "hybrid" style gains in economy as I don't need to accelerate away from lights every 100m as per before.  Additionally, 24,000 kms later the engine has freed up a little.  I alternate fuel based on E10, Unleaded or Premium - depends on price cycles. I find E10 and premium giving the best results. 

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
And you don't get engine pinging with the E10?

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
And you don't get engine pinging with the E10?

hi msoon, none whatsoever.  Is your 2.0L pinging with it?

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Never tried E10 mate. Everyone's been telling me to avoid it

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Stay away from the E10.
And I,m sure you'll find the first (free) service is just a check over. Fluid levels would be checked but no fluids replaced.
Save the oil you've bought for the first "real" service.  :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks surfer dude. Do you ever use 91RON fuel or just 95?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Concerning ethanol fuel ( E10 ) see the information listed at the Federal Chamber Of Automotive Industries :link: Can my vehicle operate on Ethanol blend petrol? : FCAI

Offline fangfarrier

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hills District , Brisbane
I've had my SR now for very nearly 8 months. Odometer reads just over 7200km. Reset the L/100 at the first service, so around 5800k's and the average is reading 9.1 L/100.....some highway mostly round town. Wife does short trips (<2km) to and from work 4 times a week...... I "enjoy" my chance to drive!!!!..... so I cant complain. My brother has a GD wagon (1.6 petrol auto) and its only getting 8.6....smaller engine working harder????
     First service is check only. Advice from dealer was leave original oil in until intermediate service (7500 km). Going to use a Penrite full synthetic.
    The big Question....Do you like/love you little beastie?????
  • GD i30 SR auto

Offline msoon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I love my beastie :) such a good drive and good around corners. Acceleration is good when it kicks into 3rd.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal