i30 Owners Club

Clutch issue

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I am wondering if anybody has experienced this or if it is perhaps normal. My i30 is about a week old with around 900km on the clock. Over the last couple days I've noticed the clutch has felt gritty.. Almost stringy like. In neutral or when down gearing at low revs it seems to be smooth as butter. It only seems to occur when the car renegages in a gear at 3-3500 rpm (probs more but trying to shift at low revs while running in). It happens when you are ar the very bottom of engagement ie when you have almost pushed the clutch in all the way. Is this normal? Could it be the vibrations from the engine at higher revs? I have my 1500km service in 2 weeks. Should I mention it or maybe the clutch needs to bed?

Any help, opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Rob
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Rob a little confused at what your saying,the way it reads,it sounds as if the revs are at 3000-3500 rpm when your letting the clutch out,this would give you some bad vibrations or poor clutch feel(maybe I'm reading your post wrong) again if I'm reading right it almost sounds like you slipping the clutch.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for the reply Rick. I don't think I am slipping clutch. The reaches 3k rpm for example in 2nd, I'll back off the accelerator so the revs drop, push clutch in, shift gear and disengage.

What I mean is if I down gear while at very low revs - 2k rpm for eg or push the clutch in while the car is rolling in neutral it is very smooth. Only sems to happen while up shifting when the previous gear has reached 3k rpm or more. Hope that makes sense. If I down gear 3rd at 4k to say 2nd and when disengaged the car is siting at maybe 2.5k the gritty feeling is also present.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 14:54:48 by robbo137 »
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm a bit confused as well :confused: sounds to me like you aren't coordinating the release of the accelerator and depression of the clutch at the correct moment, clutch should go down at the same time you release the accelerator, sorry if I have mistaken what you've said.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I'm a bit confused as well :confused: sounds to me like you aren't coordinating the release of the accelerator and depression of the clutch at the correct moment, clutch should go down at the same time you release the accelerator, sorry if I have mistaken what you've said.

:rofl: Get an Eaton 10/13/18 speed,once you get going just don't use the clutch  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:rofl: Get an Eaton 10/13/18 speed,once you get going just don't use the clutch  :rofl:
Truck talk  :confused: Only Eaton I know of is Eaton superchargers and they work well with flat changes too :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 15:47:34 by CraigB »

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I don't know how else to explain it. I am shifting correctly. Simply trying to explain than when the clutch engages at higher revs it feels gritty. You guys must have amaOng cars if you can rev them to 6000 rpm in one gear and then up shift and the next gear takes the revs down to 1000 rpm. I am not attempting to accelerate or accelerrTing while clutch is engaged. Depending on how high the revs were in previous gear depends on how high they will be in the new gear, doesn't it? For eg shifting at 1st to 2nd at say 65km and 5500 rpm once gear engaged 2nd may be sitting at 3500-4 rpm. Shift into second at 30km and hour and 3000 rpm and once 2nd engaged car might be reving at 1500-2 rpm once 2nd is engaged. Clutch would be gritty in the first example and not the latter.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 21:57:51 by robbo137 »
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Ok robbo just to clear up a couple of things I think you have engaged and disengaged backwards. When clutch pedal is depressed the clutch is disengaged not engaged.
This "gritty" feeling you refer to is it a feeling you experience through the pedal with your foot or is it through the vehicle and you feel it it your arse?
When you feel it are you getting into it a bit or just cruising?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:39:23 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I suspect there is nothing wrong with you driving style. However, as you appear to be located in Canberra, I suspect the gear oil in the trans itself. If the weather is particularly cold, this can affect the viscosity of the oil and your problems only seem to occur at 3k+ revs. Not much you can do while the car is so new other than complain at your service. An oil change has helped other members with notchy gear changes etc.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for the response everyone! apologies for the poorly written posts - I've been posting on my phone.

Cruiser - it appears I do have engaged and disengaged backwards - Sorry! The gritty feeling comes from the clutch pedal itself and is most prominent at the bottom of 'engagement'... the last few inches before it touches the floor. I've not been flogging it as i'm still trying to run it in but the feeling is definitely most apparent when shifting at 3500 rpm (my guess is it gets worse at higher rpm but unsure as still running in - defs worse at 4k rpm compared to 3k). As for the Dual Mass Flywheel - I am unsure. I've owned a Subaru liberty 2006 model and Hyundai lantra 99 model in the past which were both manuals and I cannot recall this sensation in either cars.

Phil - that would make sense. I must say that now I've honed in on it, it is very very annoying. I might mention it at my 1500km service and see what they say - which will most likely be exactly as you say. If this is the case, will it subside once the weather warms up? Or only when the oil is changed? I thought i'd note that the gear box itself seems smooth and without issue.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The notchy gear change was a problem with the FD model and has been corrected in your model. Given that the manual gearbox is exported to many colder countries than ours, it is strange for you to be reporting this issue. By mentioning it at your service, the complaint will be recorded, should there be a issue later in the car's life. As well, ask them to at least check the oil level when servicing. If it is oil viscosity, then it should stop as Summer temps approach. Keep us posted.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks Phil - very helpful. I'll definitely mention it and report back post 1500km service.

• 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Quick update in case anyone is interested haha. Mentioned the clutch issue during my first service. Of course, nothing came of it. The clutch only has a 12 month warranty which is a little concerning. The weather has warmed up quite a bit and still the grittiness remains.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal