i30 Owners Club

i30 2014 Cruise Control

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi all

I've read up a little bit on cruise control issues but thought i'd post just in case there have been developments since. I've taken my i30 (5000kms now) on two long trips (around 800km round trips). Twice now, the cruise control has not been able to be set. The cruise light could be activated but the 'set' light could not. Each time this lasted for a bout 20-40 mins and the problem resolved itself.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

• 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If it's anything like the FD, does it need a press of the brake pedal first? :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Pegasus

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Mid. Glamorgan
It could be your technique. =  This is what works for me, =

Press the “Cruise Control Button” just before your required speed, > then accelerate to that speed, > then maintain that speed, > press and hold “Set Button” > then lift foot off “Accelerator Pedal” > then lift thumb of “Set Button”

Or putting it more simply Lift foot of Gas Pedal, then release Set Button 1sec later.

Or are you already doing this?
  • i30 Active. 1.4 Petrol. Manual. 5 Door. 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If it's anything like the FD, does it need a press of the brake pedal first? :confused:
That's what my GD requires, a touch on the brake to activate it.

It took me 40 minutes to work it out coming back from down south when the bloody thing wouldn't turn on, I had to reduce speed at some point and after touching the brake it worked " weird " :rolleyes:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: CraigB
... after touching the brake it worked " weird " :rolleyes:

Not weird, no. The brakes are part of the cruising system... the only real way for the cruise control system to know if they're working is for you to hit the pedal at least once.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I believe that it is the system just checking the "logic" that it gets a signal from the brake switch, so it knows when to turn off.  If it hasn't had a signal, it doesn't know if the brake switch is working and therefore may not turn off when you depress the brake pedal.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Quote from: CraigB
... after touching the brake it worked " weird " :rolleyes:

Not weird, no. The brakes are part of the cruising system... the only real way for the cruise control system to know if they're working is for you to hit the pedal at least once.
It's weird in the fact that I've only ever encountered this action in the Hyundai, my HSV doesn't act like this nor does my parents new Holden Cruise.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It could be your technique. =  This is what works for me, =

Press the “Cruise Control Button” just before your required speed, > then accelerate to that speed, > then maintain that speed, > press and hold “Set Button” > then lift foot off “Accelerator Pedal” > then lift thumb of “Set Button”

Or putting it more simply Lift foot of Gas Pedal, then release Set Button 1sec later.

Or are you already doing this?
You shouldn't have to do all that.
Press the CC button, then press the "Set" button whilst driving at the speed you want. And lift off the pedal. No need to hold buttons past a firm press and release.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Still sounds like it might be that you're forgetting to initialise the CC with touch of the brake pedal. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
I didn't know you had to touch the brake to activate the cruise control... makes sense tho as a safety feature I guess. Every time I've used it, it just works  :confused: Press the cruise button then press set, that's it done.

Edit: Hang on, I assume you tap the brakes once you turn cruise on but before you press set? Because I've never done that... unless the car tells the system the brakes work every time you start the car. If that's the case surely the OP used the brakes at lest one before using cruise.

Double edit: I read about some CC systems not letting you activate them when the windscreen wipers are on but I was a bit surprised that the Hyundai system still lets you use it in the wet :S Also why did my sig shrink  :neutral:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
My understanding is that you need to touch the brakes at least once after you've started the car prior to engaging cruise control. Cruise control doesn't need to be on when the brakes are used.

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
Surely Robbo used his brakes at lest once before hitting the highway.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Maybe. I found out after pulling out from a fuel station on a freeway. I didn't use the brakes to get on the freeway (straight from hand brake).

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Maybe. I found out after pulling out from a fuel station on a freeway. I didn't use the brakes to get on the freeway (straight from hand brake).

Every time I pull out from the fuel station same thing after I have had the CC on before hand,will not reactivate until I touch the brake pedal,that's on Bruce (factory CC) Cyril different story,he has a piece of crap after market CC,works every time,but has other issues that I do not like
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Or press clutch pedal
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
Does robbo drive an elite, premium or manual i30? Because if he does he would have to start the car with either his for on the brake because of the push button start or on the clutch because its manual.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for all the replies!

Pegasus - Don't think it is my technique as I use the same method each and every time. It is similar to yours. When it didn't work it was for around 20-30 mins. When it does work I've played around with it and it virtually sets no matter what you are doing - ie accelerating, foot off accelerator and coasting etc.

Craig - I don't think it is the brake either. I've read about that so when it happened a second time I pulled over on the highway (using brakes of course) and turned the car off to hopefully reset the ECU as well. Started it up again and initialised the breaks a couple times before hitting the highway again and it still didn't work. But, around 20 mins later it started working all of a sudden - I was trying it every 2-3 mins at this stage!

VaerO - I have a manual so foot on clutch during start up.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Had to work this one out for myself too.
Mr's i-30 manual will not set until brake has been touched once. Obviously not a clutch input as that has to be depressed to start the engine and when changing up the gears. 
Living in the sticks, we often leave the farm without ever touching brakes and so cruise simply will not set.
First had this problem when exiting from a lunch stop on the highway, no cruise and then after a bit of braking, lo and behold cruise was running.
I did a stop and re-start to prove it and that was the remedy.
Solved for us.

If yours still doesn't work, I'd suggest your steering wheel buttons aren't doing their job and I'd take her back to Hyundai.
I often find the radio controls are a bit iffy especially if the car's been sitting in the sun. 
  • i-30

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Ours used to do this when the stop light switch was sticking,
I plugged a wds tool into it and took it for a drive and the computer thought the brakes were on.
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I forgot to add that by tapping or sometimes just using the brake pedal the switch would free up and cruise would work.
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal