i30 Owners Club

2010 i30 diesel stalls completely on the move

gpuri · 48 · 25954

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's $70 a litre last time I purchased, but the dosage is 13ml per tank.  :goodjob2:

I think Hy charge about $300 to do a tank clean, so it's a no brainer for me.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Foglefar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia
Anyone fitted one of these magnetic diesel debug devices by Morrison here in Australia?
http://www.morison.com.au/ecart2/product.asp?pID=3&cID=1
About $577 but they claim no more costs on no sludge in the bottom of your tank from dead microbe cells after biocides have killed them.
  • MY12 CRDi 1.6 CW SLX

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I had similar trouble with my i30 when it was new. I suspect it may have had contaminated  fuel when shipped from South Korea as I am told,  the diesel from some Asian refineries is full of this bug. Any how that is another story, I suggested diesel bug and the dealer agreed to run injector cleaner through the system. This fixed the problem and  after that I  gave it a good drink of Chemtec to destroy any bug that was responsible for the blocked injectors and filter. To this date I use Chemtac on a regular basis and have not had any problems.
I konw this product is used by ADF in their diesel motors and a friend who was in the Navy says it is used in ships, particularily those that refuel in Asian ports. There was a prior post on this subject  and I will try to find it and put the link here.
Chemtec worked for me in my prior vehicle a 60 Series Landcruiser that once had a bad dose of the bug and this Chemtec fixed it.
Good luck
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Look here
DIESEL FUEL TESTING?
Chem Tec diesel fuel additive

I was concerned about using Chemtec as it might void the warranty, but I have changed my mind and if Hy gives me trouble at a later date I will give them a go for their money.
Hope these to sites help

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :ta: for those two posts Hornet ..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Foglefar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for your posts Hornet. Interesting read. I also suspect the infection was from new as the symptoms occurred right from day one. After the clean and flush of the tank Hyundai have communicated instructions via the dealer, "...recommend customer to use diesel conditioner every 2-3 tank fills." So this is a step further than what they told you.

It seems we are lucky to have had Hyundai cover the cost of this saga (except for some significant rental car costs) but they really should cover it if the source of infection was Korea. Of course it's impossible to prove the source and everyone points the finger at someone else.
  • MY12 CRDi 1.6 CW SLX

Offline Foglefar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia
Just been reading the tech data on both Chem Tech Diesel Power and Fuel Doctors. About the same price and dosage. BUT Chem Tech is only a preventative and will not destroy and remove bug in an infested tank. They don't recommend overdosing it. Vs Fuel Doctor which can shock treat an infestation and you cannot cause damage by dosing too much or too strongly. In my case of having had an infestation and now cleaned, I am concerned about residual bug in tiny crevices etc. so the Fuel Doctor seems a more aggressive strategy. Phil's choice of Fuelmaster has no biocide action so it also doesn't suit my strategy although it seems a good product.
  • MY12 CRDi 1.6 CW SLX

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
"My" product, specifically does NOT use a biocide, on purpose.

Fuel bug can ONLY survive where there is a layer of water / diesel. This is the bug's environment. The product I use, safely eliminates all water form the tank, thus preventing the ability for Diesel bug to exist. You've seen the presentation on what it does to the bug. I have no knowledge of the chemistry involved, other than what is stated. Neither do I have any affiliation with the product or the company, except as a satisfied user of the product.

Offline Foglefar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia
Hi Phil. I wasn't trying to diminish Fuelmaster at all. And I don't think I referred to it as YOUR product. I know you have no affiliation with the manufacturer. I do appreciate your help and advice.

I was trying to explain what I saw as the differences between products and that, for my needs, (having suffered an infestation) I preferred a biocide to kill any remnant bug that might be there. I shudder to consider the prospect of a re-infestation and I have no idea how thoroughly the dealer cleaned out the tank and fuel system.

You are quite right that the bugs need water and all the three products eliminate the water and so as a preventative any of the three brands seem a good strategy. Price wise they seem on a par based on their treatment ratios by my calculations.
  • MY12 CRDi 1.6 CW SLX

Offline debbie g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I can add to others on the forum who have had their diesel cars stall while they are driving them (I posted on this subject last month).  I've only had it happen once but very scary and very dangerous.  Good that a fuel additive / cleaner might cure the problem. 
  • 1.6 sx CRDi in silver

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I find it interesting that if you google for Diesel bug in the UK - most of the hits, ignoring those advertising additives, lead you to marine applications. There are few automotive hits.

If you take a look at car forums here - again, any mention of diesel bug seems to be rare. Most people who use diesel (or petrol) additives seem to do so because they think that it increases power or economy (or both).

One of my friends is an ex-fleet manager for a large transport company. They had more than 200 diesel vans and lorries, never used diesel additives and only suffered from fuel problems when a driver refuelled off-base and picked up dirt or water in the fuel.

If you Google for diesel bug (au) you get lots of hits for Australia automotive.

It leads me to the conclusion (guess) that your average temperatures (or down-under bugs) give you a much greater problem.

Or are us Brits who never use additives just lucky?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Must be due to the prolonged warm temps in oz.

Like you alan never had cause for concern or even heard of in cars before being mentioned here.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I am told the bug is due to the combined high temp and humidity in OZ and some cheap poor quality imported diesel fuel from Asian refineries. The forum has identified 3 additives that appear to prevent "bug" problems. I would not be game to nominate which is the best and have mentioned Chemtec because of personal  satisfactory experience.
I would doubt that OZ  harsh conditions would be prominant in the UK so you would not experience the bug to the same extent as in OZ except in marine applications. These harsh OZ conditions produce a good environment for the bug as well as brilliant cricket players so I suppose we cant expect all things to be good :lol:
My advice is that at the first sign of missing or poor performance, (1) use hy injector cleaner for one tank of fuel (2) then use use one of the additives (3) then change the fuel filter (4) use the additive thereafter on a regular basis.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Another benefit of living in Tassie?  :happydance: I had no probs in 28 months with our first (Diesel) i30 and have never heard of the problem down here... :sweating:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Diesel bug only survives in the presence of water / diesel layer, so you must have an amount of water in your tank, to allow propagation of the bug. Water can enter from moisture rich tropical air, (not a lot of that in the UK), or from poorly maintained tanks, at any stage of the Diesel delivery process. Using an additive to remove the water is just insurance for me. We may never need the additive, but I'd rather use it, than be endangered by a dangerous unscheduled shutdown, plus the expense of removing the bug.

Offline bill9786

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi all, I have the same stalling problem exactly as gpuri described. This is potentially very dangerous. The dealer, unsurprisingly, couldn't find anything. Does the forum have a solution?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:15:58 by bill9786 »
  • i 30 manual diesel wagon 2010 , 65000km

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:welcome: Bill, I'm afraid not.. as you can see from this thread and others mentioned in it, we have our suspicions but nothing concrete or proven.  :undecided: :Pout:

Offline bill9786

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks, dazzler. I assume it's an electrical fault. But perhaps it's diesel bug. I live in a moist sub tropical environment. Could fuel problems caused the car to stall?
  • i 30 manual diesel wagon 2010 , 65000km

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal