Car Video Cams

AlanHo · 7 · 2334

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I am impressed with the videos posted here by various members shot through their windsceen on their travels.  Also the benefit of recording any road incidents. So much so - I am considering getting into the"club" and buying the necessary equipment. A 10 day car trip to the Scottish Highlands we are taking in May might make a good subject.

What do I need to buy - there are numerous video cameras advertised on the internet but I haven't got a clue what spec to look for (lens focal length, recording media, with or without a viewing screen, sound recording etc) and what price range will produce a reasonable quality.

Where and how do you mount the camera in the car, is a power supply needed and is the camera easily removed for when you park the car.

Having got the video camera - do I need any special software to transfer the video to the computer and is there any good freeware software for editing it.

Finally - where do you host the videos ready for posting here and are there any costs involved.

Answers in plain English please - I truly am a video novice.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey

Dunno if you've seen this thread, it's worth a ganders...

I've been through the cheapo series (had 3) and onto the plain nasty (even tho it cost me around £35) current one. All so very disappointing for various reasons.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a DOD 550 HiDef HiFrame HiValue HiUndie HiFlying gadget from Chinaland. It'll be mounted right behind my rear view mirror and powered using the supplied 12v adapter which will be connected to the map lights in the roof (and fed through the gap between window and roof liner). All your questions about focal length etc might pale into irrelevance when you see some of the incar shots provided by our Russian friend Meehalych (he has the same DOD machine).

Software wise, I use the free VirtualDubMod package to cut slices out, posting the resulting edits to photobucket - all free of course.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
This is something I want to look into as well.
I'll go back over the previous posts on the subject.
I am a complete novice in this area also.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
i myself have gone through several of these car video cams.  one of my purchases was an Aldi helmetcam or an RD32.  horrible piece of $%!#.  it didn't have a UV filter on the lens so everything that was black in the footage turned out violet.  not worth buying at all.

my latest purchase is a Poseidon helmetcam which i use while mountain biking but comes with a decent windscreen mount.  cost me around AUD$100 (free postage) from ebay & a spare battery set me back an extra $7.  it can also run off a car charger, didn't bother getting one as i have a couple of spare ones that have a mini usb plug at the end. it gives clear HD videos, has date & time stamp (can be important for cataloguing any mishaps) & records onto SDHC cards (i use class 10's, any lower & you would experience drop frames).  also has a HDMI output & footage is quite good when played back on TV.

my issue with this cam is that it only takes loop recordings of 5mins length (unless the seller sent an incomplete manual) although there is no loss of footage in between recordings.  i have a feeling that this may not be the case if a large capacity SD card ... say 32gb ... is used.  i've got a 16gb on it right now.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It will probably be OEM in the next model I30 IMO  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
What do I need to buy - there are numerous video cameras advertised on the internet but I haven't got a clue what spec to look for (lens focal length, recording media, with or without a viewing screen, sound recording etc) and what price range will produce a reasonable quality.

the price: from 50$ (concerns the cams bought directly from China via the Internet) up to endlessness

Where and how do you mount the camera in the car, is a power supply needed and is the camera easily removed for when you park the car.
Mine is mounted on the wind screen. The power may be supplied from either camcorder's accumulator or car power system, the latter is preferable.
It is very easy to remove a camera from a car, takes 5 seconds for me.

Having got the video camera - do I need any special software to transfer the video to the computer and is there any good freeware software for editing it.

Finally - where do you host the videos ready for posting here and are there any costs involved.

No any special software needed as being plugged in PC will detect a camera as a storage device.

I do host my videos in Youtube - free of charge.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 17:07:06 by meehalych »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :goodjob: Thanks for the answers.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal