i30 Owners Club

What to Buy - i30 N-Line or i30 N Performance

Offline MichaelWi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Hi Everyone,

First post here as I do not yet own a i30 but hoping to i the near future (up to 6 months).

I wanting some advice as I simply cannot decide between these so awesome cars. The car of choice is obviously the N Performance and I'd likely take it as the Fastback, however the draw back to this is I commute to work about 80-100km per day. Ideally the auto to radar cruise would be the solution but clearly less fun or would it?

The second option is the N Line (non premium) which would be the Auto. The big advantage for this is the Auto and the price point. Still looks good and drives well but it's no N Performance.

I am in the position to purchase both however the Performance would make budget on the slightly tighter side, hence should I save the $14k AUD and buy the N Line or is the Performance so superior that I should purchase this, and then if so then should I wait for the Auto?

Has anyone had a similar dilemma recently and bought one or the other and if so thoughts as the owner?

Thank you so much, I know it's a long one but wanted to be thorough.

• I30 N Series

Offline Haro

• 2nd Gear
Honestly mate, unless you plan on hitting some track days and making the most of the N.
Just get the n-line in auto or manual and enjoy the drive.
If you want to give it more pep you will have some spare $$$ to inject pretty easily.

I have a SR manual and its going well so far

Dantrasy
Depends what you're coming from.

I recently got the N line auto (non premium). It's power to weight ratio is 30% better than the car it replaced (Passat wagon). The difference is dramatic.

The N line is 1sec slower to 100kms compared to the N. I decided I could live with that.

The N line acceleration is similar to a Commodore I had years ago. 0-100 in around 7secs. On par with the Polo gti and the new Swift turbo. 

Sports mode makes a genuine difference to the feel.

As soon as a hatch goes over 200 horse power, all sorts of things have to be upgraded...hence the extra 10+K for the N.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:39:02 by Dantrasy »

Offline MichaelWi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Thanks Dantrasy,

I’m coming from a 1000cc sports bike (haven’t owned a car for 5 years) hence I do like the extra power as I’m used to having it on demand.

The last car I owned was a VZ SV6 Commodore so interesting you say similar to this as I remember liking this (although was my first car so nothing to compare too).

I’m optimistic that you and Haro both have given positive feedback for the N Line.

What it the sound like? I do love the pops and crackle from the N, does N Line still have personality?
  • I30 N Series

Dantrasy
The N Line is quiet. Mine is anyway. No pops.

You get a bit of sound in sport mode while accelerating hard. But nothing compared to the N in N mode (according to videos I've watched).

Many reviews of the N Line (aka Elantra GT N Line) criticise it for being too quiet.

I chose the N Line because 1) it looked good, 2) fast for its price, 3) was auto, 4) some modern tech. Truth told, my wife drives it more than me, so auto was a must.

Mods can be made to get the pops, but that doesn't really interest me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:15:02 by Dantrasy »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: I had the opportunity to borrow an N for a day last year and after doing 100 odd kilometres am convinced the SR/N-Line was a better car for me (see my test drive thread below)

The Automated Cruise works really well in SR, so much so I'll never have a car without it again. The SR/N-line are still peppy and fun to drive on a twisty road. I even have some fun through roundabouts..  :D

:link: Dazzler borrows an i30N for the day (or maybe longer) ;-)

Even Auto Expert on You tube says at the end of his N review, much the same as I did. If you don't need the extra performance go the SR (N-Line)

At the 21 minute mark on this video

:link: Hyundai i30 N review (road & track test) Australia | Auto Expert John Cadogan - YouTube
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Dantrasy
I think the fastback is a different proposition altogether. It's a lot more expensive.

Have you reached a preference - hatch or fastback?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
What a dilemma to have  :lol:
Do a couple of insurance quotes too.
Bike? - "members other motors "
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline MichaelWi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I’m now looking at the N-Line.

Has anyone installed a downpipe and/or upgraded exhaust on their i30 N-Line and if so what manufacture?

Also, bike is 2012 CBR1000RR. Love this bike 👌
  • I30 N Series

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal