i30 Owners Club

[GD] In dash garage door opener

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
having a proximity key for entering and starting the car, while your keys are in your pocket or where ever is awesome, but I've found I'm now forever looking for my garage door opener when pulling into the driveway now.

I started thinking, wouldn't it be great if one of those blank button spaces to the right of the steering wheel (RHD) could be turned into a button to open the garage door.

I've given this some thought and rigging a garage door opener to a button would be quite easy, I think I'd be comfortable doing the mod, in fact there's plenty of DIY's with a google search.

Just wondering if there is anywhere to buy OEM buttons to replace the blank spaces, as i don't really want an ugly jaycar non standard button sticking through one of those blanks?

HOW TO EDIT:

How to:

First and foremost, if you want to do a modification to your car. Don't take what I say for gospel, use a multimeter, double check everything, and don't blame me if it doesn't turn out as you expected.

I decided I'd attempt this because my car has a proximity key and I like to be able to leave it in my bag, pocket or wherever, which means I need to find my keys or have a button floating around the car. Plus those buttons have a tendency to get annoying as the batteries wear out.

My car is a 2012 GD elite, CRDi. I have no idea if the unit I modified is the same across the range, I assume that it is.

I'll apologise in advance for any typos and lack of editing; I'm writing this on my phone from the passenger seat while travelling.

What you will need:

-Multimeter
-Phillips head screwdriver, 1 large, 1 small
-Soldering iron and solder
-Drill with a fine bit and a 12mm bit
-Some lengths of small gauge wire
-Double sided tape
-A low profile momentary push button switch (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SP0656)
-A compatible universal garage door remote that is paired with your door and uses a 12V battery (this will be the hardest part to find, I found mine on eBay)

What to do:

1. Disassemble the 12V garage door remote down to the circuit board, keeping note of the button that is trained to your door.

2. Find the feet for each side of the switch and solder some fine wire to each side, taking care not to bridge any tracks/components. (In the picture below I used slightly too thick wire, and changed it for some smaller later on)

3. Identify the +ve and -ve terminals for the 12V battery, and using your soldering iron, wet the solder for the battery terminals and lift them off, then replace with leads to power the transmitter. Red for +ve, Black for -ve.

This image shows the circuit board with leads attached. I should have used smaller gauge wire here, it still works fine. The box behind wasn't used.

4. Remove the sun glasses holder from the roof, by taking the two phillips screws out when the sunglass door is open. There's a power lead which is easily unclipped.

5. Use your multimeter to identify the permanent 12V pin and the -ve in the socket hanging from the hole in the roof. Be sure to close your doors, as there will be 12V supplied on a pin when the door is open, for the door setting on the lights.

6. Once you've identified the pins, use your multimeter to follow the +ve and -ve rails through the test points on the black circuit board for the lights, mounted behind the sunglass holder. Be careful to test those rails with the might switch in multiple positions.

In the next picture, you will see the locations that I identified, but I think it would be wise to test it yourself to be sure. Once you've identified the rails, open the plastic a bit using a sharp drill bit on a test point for each rail, so that you can solder the leads running to the battery terminals on the circuit board.

7. There is a test hole directly opposite a centred location to mount the switch, using your fine drill bit, drill through to the plastic underneath, marking it.

8. Remove the four small phillips head screws to remove the light circuit board.

9. Using the 12mm drill bit, open up the small hole you marked in step 7. Fix the switch.

10. Drill a hole through the black plastic in the corner behind where the switch will lie, refer to the next picture to see where the leads come through. Be careful not to drill through any tracks for the lights.

11. Feed the switch leads from your circuit board through the hole in step 10, and solder one to each side of the switch.

12. Fix the black light circuit board back to the sunglass fixture, using the 4 screw, then in a suitable location use double sided tape to neatly stick the circuit board down.

13. Neatly solder your red lead to the +ve rail, and your black lead to the -ve rail which you opened up in step 6.

It should look something like this. This picture will show you suitable places for the holes, and access points for the 12V rails.

14. After using your multimeter to test the switch and satisfy yourself it's connected correctly, connected the leads, test, and put it back together!

Job done!

I'll put a few more pics below which may be useful. The job shouldn't be too hard, I hope my poorly written instructions are helpful to anyone else wanting to do this.

It would be quite easy to incorporate an LED in series to indicate when it's transmitting. There are even some switches the have built in LEDs, I even bought one, but the switch was too deep to fit in that location.

Lex.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:23:44 by alexeiw123 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is a pretty good idea Alex.. :goodjob2: I have my garage remote velcro'd to my console in a discreet position for easy access but a dedicated button would be nice  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I know this isn't  quite the answer you're looking for but I thought as I was reading your post what a great opportunity to use RFID instead. You could possibly mount the reader behind the blank and with a RFID tag, place in close proximity and the door would open, what do you think  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
I know this isn't  quite the answer you're looking for but I thought as I was reading your post what a great opportunity to use RFID instead. You could possibly mount the reader behind the blank and with a RFID tag, place in close proximity and the door would open, what do you think  :question:

I did consider that by using NFC (my phone has it) and have even found guides for creating arduino powered wifi controllers for smartphones, but I decided that's over thinking it a bit, as you still need to find a moveable object to open up.

The arduino opens up many possibilities (such as double flashing your headlights to open up) but it changes it from a quick mod to a full on project...

I've seen you can buy universal openers that are 12V, which would allow you to power it form the car battery, and by rigging up a button in the dash you would have an always easy to reach open/close button.

In any case, if I can find a way to replace one of the blanks with a OEM look/feel button I would be happy to put this one on my DIY lists.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm the same as Dazz (well, I was when I had my FD).
I velcored the garage door opener on to one of the blank switch spaces to the right of the steering column.
Not as good as a dedicated switch but still very effective as I could press it down the street a bit and it would be open when I got there.
I do like the idea of a proper switch though.  :agoodidea:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

I did consider that by using NFC (my phone has it) and have even found guides for creating arduino powered wifi controllers for smartphones, but I decided that's over thinking it a bit, as you still need to find a moveable object to open up.

The arduino opens up many possibilities (such as double flashing your headlights to open up) but it changes it from a quick mod to a full on project...

I've seen you can buy universal openers that are 12V, which would allow you to power it form the car battery, and by rigging up a button in the dash you would have an always easy to reach open/close button.

In any case, if I can find a way to replace one of the blanks with a OEM look/feel button I would be happy to put this one on my DIY lists.

Just want to clarify, what I was proposing was a RFID tag & receiver situated in the car, to activate your remote control which could be located anywhere in the car. The receiver could possibly be located behind one of the blank switches & be invisible to anyone else.

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

Just want to clarify, what I was proposing was a RFID tag & receiver situated in the car, to activate your remote control which could be located anywhere in the car. The receiver could possibly be located behind one of the blank switches & be invisible to anyone else.

Ah that would be neat, obviously misunderstood you. I wasn't really aware RFID had a range of metres, only come across very close proximity RFID. Neat idea!

Also, found a product called 'flash2pass' which looks pretty neat, unfortunately my garage door doesn't have a hard wired button inside, except for on the unit itself on the ceiling.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No I think you still misunderstand. The RFID tag which is about 15mm could be attached to your car keys. You grab the tag and put it close to the empty switch on your dash. It triggers the receiver behind the dash which then triggers your door opener.  :eek:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
haha, okay then, that's more or less how I originally understood it.

In that case I'm still back to having to find something to operate the door, which is where I'm at now. garage door key sitting in the cup holder as opposed to on my keys, although I do like the idea off adding in some tech!

Might ask the dealer when I'm down there next how much it is for a replacement button for the dash and see how reasonable/unreasonable they are... I reckon I could make something up that's powered from the car for next to nothing.

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
have found this...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Merlin-Garage-Door-Remote-Control-Garage-Opener

12V garage door opener, to replace my original. Will make for a much easier hard wired job, as the original has a 3V battery, and stepping down DC is pretty inefficient.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'd put that on my keyring & leave it at that. No holes, no wiring & no button switches to fit.  :)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd put that on my keyring & leave it at that. No holes, no wiring & no button switches to fit.  :)
We had those for our garage door in Sydney. Fitted on the keyring no problem.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
but where's the fun in that? I want to remove all need to have to find my keys. that's the whole point!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Er , the key would be in the ignition  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not necessarily  :whistler: (not in my car or the new GD elite or Premium)  :P

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As in push button ign eh

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
yeah, that's what I mean by proximity key, push button ignition, the key can be anywhere in the vehicle. I tend to just leave it in my pocket or gym bag, the girl would just leave it in her handbag.

you must have thought I was been very particular! That's the whole reason I keep losing my garage door button, I'm just so used to it hanging off of the keyhole!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Not necessarily  :whistler: (not in my car or the new GD elite or Premium)  :P

Show-off.  :tease: :laughter:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
So I started to do some work on this.

Got my 12V door opener from eBay, pulled it apart, and soldered some wires to either side of the switch, then removed the battery terminals and soldered some wires on to that.

I tested it out by hooking it to the car battery, and jumping the switch with the wires, and success, garage door opens.

I've got a neat little box and some plugs of different sizes so I can make it in to a sealed unit, which should be pretty straight forward.

All I need to do is find a switch that I'm happy to put in the dash.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Top stuff. Looking forward to seeing it finished.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Cheers! Just want an OEM button, which I haven't found yet. Would rather not put an aftermarket looking button in my dash haha.

Haven't asked the Hyundai dealer yet.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent work alex (very impressive)  :goodjob:

I am still trying to get my electric gates sorted  :disapp: (If I ever do) then I would need your mod x 2  :Shocked:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
For what its worth, the remote I got has 4x programmable buttons, and there is switches with two actions, such as the one that increases/decreases the display brightness.

Oh yeah, Camry

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

As you're in OZ, you don't have heated seats, do you.. :question:

You could buy one of those contacts, they are located next to the ashtray.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
My model does have heated seats. A button I was eyeing off was the one to disable the reversing tone. For some reason the Australian models don't have that button, just a blank.

Also I had a good fiddle today trying to figure out how to pop those switches out of the dash, and got nowhere. Afraid of breaking something. Anyone had those out or know how?

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
So it talked to the dealer, it turns out that the plugs are one single unit for all the buttons... and he couldn't give me a price on them.

funnily enough, he did say that if I google 'i30ownersclub' I might be able to find some info on it there... hahaha!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...he did say that if I google 'i30ownersclub' I might be able to find some info on it there...

... and did you? :P :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So it talked to the dealer, it turns out that the plugs are one single unit for all the buttons... and he couldn't give me a price on them.

funnily enough, he did say that if I google 'i30ownersclub' I might be able to find some info on it there... hahaha!

The legend spreads far and wide  :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
I haven't forgotten about this. The built unit is functional and sitting in its box.

I work full time plus uni through correspondence, and it's currently exam block, but in about 2 weeks I'm free and I will finish this off.

I've ruled out tracking down an OEM button to suit, so thinking perhaps a non standard button but out of sight. I've noticed that under the 12V accessory plugs in the centre console there is an easily removed plastic cover, which I might be able to fit a button into, finding room behind it for wiring could be difficult though.

Open to suggestions for the location. I'm not huge on making a hole in anything non (easily) replaceable

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal