i30 Owners Club

Your thoughts on first car

John B · 50 · 6545

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi fellow forumites, what are your comments on a 2003 Hyundai Elantra  XD GL with 112.720  ks   for $5000 with three years extended warranty. My grandson is in the last year of high school on his L plates . He has not seen the car yet  and as it is a Sunny Yellow colour at least he would be seen coming  :snigger: now it could be that he does not want to be seen in it,  :D but I thought I would find out your opinions from any one that is familiar with this model any bad points and the good.  All comments appreciated.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Two fellow work mates have that very car,in that very colour(I wouldn't want to be seen in it either)another friend up here in town has one in the funny metallic brown they had then,the two at work have been well looked after and maintained,and the owners are still very happy with them.

The third the one the wife's friend up here has,well lets just say,I wouldn't buy it in a pink fit,but funnily enough you can't kill it with a stick,starts every time (when the battery is charged) drives nicely.

The price would have a fare margin in it for the three year extended warranty and they when you read all the fine print,cover very limited occurrances,but from what I have seen on the market,this price is right at the top of the range,but they do range from $3000 to $5000,most I have seen are in the $3500 to $4000 range,even the slightly older Excel if you getn one which has been looked after go forever and their $2500 and under.

Sound like a reasonable deal,but I would be going through the fine print on the extended warranty with a lice comb,Trust me I used to own a Bunky Car Yard and extended warranties and warranty packs where our bread and butter,or icing on the already loaded cake
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Rick, I agree the colour is well I can't say on here what I think but sometimes these youngsters surprise me with their choices, I will let you know what he says when he sees a picture of it  :scared: I will definitely be looking at the warranty offered if  the grandson is at all interested. The  Ks look reasonable for that age if they are genuine of course. Been trying to find some thing safe for him until he starts work and then he can save up and then chop it in for a late model of his choice.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks Rick, I agree the colour is well I can't say on here what I think but sometimes these youngsters surprise me with their choices, I will let you know what he says when he sees a picture of it  :scared: I will definitely be looking at the warranty offered if  the grandson is at all interested. The  Ks look reasonable for that age if they are genuine of course. Been trying to find some thing safe for him until he starts work and then he can save up and then chop it in for a late model of his choice.

:goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Yellow is one of the most visible colours, then white. to be safe you need to be seen. no more grey or silver grey for me! i think some people can't see too well & don't notice a grey car. i had a guy do a right hand turn right into the front of a grey ute i had, said did not see me.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Yellow is one of the most visible colours, then white. to be safe you need to be seen. no more grey or silver grey for me! i think some people can't see too well & don't notice a grey car. i had a guy do a right hand turn right into the front of a grey ute i had, said did not see me.

I entirely agree with you and that is what surprised me when I ordered my i30 Elite Hatch, there was not much choice on colours. My daughter has got a new Brilliant Red i30 ( not what I call a real brilliant red rather a darker red ) and I did not want to copy her choice, that left me with Dazzling blue ( a very dark Blue ) Sleek Silver, Aqua Blue ( not keen on that colour ) Phantom Black and Creamy white. Having had several white cars in the past I was ready for a change so I ended up choosing the Sleek Silver, don't get me wrong I think the sleek silver looks great and I am very happy with the choice but I agree it will not be as visible as the white. You raised an interesting point and it has me wondering how many people buying a new car would choose a colour that is highly visible rather than a colour they really like.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
My car is "Continental Silver", which was more by means of saving $4000 on the price, rather than my choice.  However, I do think it looks good.  Notwithstanding, I turn on my lights earlier, rather than later, so that I can be seen.  I also turn them on during inclement weather (which I think more young drivers should be taught the benefits of doing).

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
My car is "Continental Silver", which was more by means of saving $4000 on the price, rather than my choice.  However, I do think it looks good.  Notwithstanding, I turn on my lights earlier, rather than later, so that I can be seen.  I also turn them on during inclement weather (which I think more young drivers should be taught the benefits of doing).

Yes I do the same and I am driving a white car at the moment. I was taught that many years ago it makes a big difference .
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I don't mind that Yellow (at least it is safe, as several have said)

We had a 2002 Elantra in 2006/7 (as a fill in car) it was a bit of a looker (see below) and had a great manual gear change but we had a lot of minor annoying issues with it. It is a wonder we bought an i30 afterwards!

Having had a very short stint selling cars I am also unimpressed by those aftermarket used car warranties.. there is normally some excess on the major components that makes a claim unviable and lesser things like batteries are excluded.

I reckon you can do better for 5k  :cool: 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree with Dazz on th eaftermarket warranties.
Not worth the money.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Dazz & surfer dude, point taken and noted, extended warranty is therefor binned :victory:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi  all, Looked at the yellow 2003 Elantra but it was bit battered & sorry for itself so the grandson is now looking  at a couple of other cars it's a choice between a 2004 Corolla with 132.000 ks or a 2007 Elantra with 77.000ks both in very good condition with the Elantra being about $1.500 dearer,  I have had a look at reviews on the net but as usual good reports and bad so not a lot of help so your thoughts if any one has had experience with these cars appreciated.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
My misses, when she was with her ex husband, said she had an 07 elantra (his car, but in her name), she had no breakdowns and no issues and had over 100, 000km with just doing oil changes and services
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
It looks like the grandson has decided to stick with the Hyundai family and go with the 2007 Elantra SX hatch, it looks really nice and the service book shows the service history is spot on, being a tall lad he found the drivers seat on the Toyota Corolla did not go back far enough . I must admit the style of the 2007  model is much nicer than the earlier ones. Will test drive it tomorrow and carry out the usual haggling and hope it all works out.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thank you Rusty & Doggie 1, everyone is getting their car before me, still waiting for delivery of my new car  :blubber:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
All good things, come to those who wait  :exclaim:

Patience is character building.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That's what the wife say's .  Still waiting ( know what I mean )  :whistler:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think the topic title should now be changed to 'Servicing' :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Well its a done deal,pick it up Thursday after couple of very small scratches have been fixed up. Grandson is so excited and so he should be , my first vehicle was an old Morris ex fishmongers van ( stunk like hell.  )  I was married then and the wife was not too thrilled as it had no passenger seat in it, I did eventually put one in , would not get away with sitting on a cushion these days and of course seat belts were unheard of then. Ahhh the good ole days.  :snigger: Any way here is a photo of no 2 grandsons car. Yes Yes I know it is not as safe as yellow.  :rolleyes:

2007 Sx  Elantra 74.000ks
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid: and I like that colour!  :goodjob:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Looks good, John!  :goodjob:

Thank's Rusty, got fed up looking around , amazing the amount of rubbish out there and even more amazing how much cash their hoping to get for it.   :disapp:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
He's a lucky lad  :exclaim:

My 1st car was a Morris minor 850, but it was the ohv powerhouse engine, not the side valve.  :razz:

Reg # RCS 408

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
:whsaid: and I like that colour!  :goodjob:

Thank,s Dazzle nearly the same colour as my Daughters new i30. Just hoping we don't get the niggly problems you said you had with your earlier Elantra. Had a good look all over the car and it seemed great & drove well but of course buying a second hand car is a bit of gamble sometimes you win and some times you loose.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's very low kms, so should have a few left in it yet, mind you, youngsters know how to pile the kms on though. :undecided:

And he can be a member here too, we might be able to help him get to know about his car and how to look after it properly.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
He's a lucky lad  :exclaim:

My 1st car was a Morris minor 850, but it was the ohv powerhouse engine, not the side valve.  :razz:

Reg # RCS 408
He sure is,but thankfully he is teenager that really appreciates things , had a job convincing him to have this car rather than an old cheap banger and my motive for that was I am getting to old to get under these cars to repair them.  :lol: Ahh the good old Morris Minor you were posh the fish van I mentioned was the old side valve engine. :D
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
It's very low kms, so should have a few left in it yet, mind you, youngsters know how to pile the kms on though. :undecided:

And he can be a member here too, we might be able to help him get to know about his car and how to look after it properly.

Can only hope, mind you it could happen he 's thrilled to bits with it and I have drummed into him " look after your car and it will look after you "
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

First cars always get a hard life (fortunately, you being a retired mechanic helps a bit!)

The problem with ours was I bought it from a dealer 100 kms away and the things that cropped up should have been picked up at their "99 point quality check" or whatever they called it. Things like faulty wipers, leaking washer bottle, noisy speedo cable. Nothing major but half a dozen annoying faults..

My first car was a 1968 440 cortina with 100,000 miles on it..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal