i30 Owners Club

2009 crdi noise and smoke

Offline swivelhead

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Pool
 :disapp: Took our 09 crdi 115ps into dealers again today. Once again they say they have found a problem.
Since the car was 10 months old it has been a little noisy when cold and sometimes blown a little smoke. This was reported and
no fault was found.
The noise has been getting worse over the last 24 months and in March this year the dealer agreed that there was a problem.
So far the fuel has been changed to Shell, new glow plugs, 6 weeks ago injectors removed , cleaned and checked.
Car was no better after all the above work, but the dealer has at least tried to find the fault. Have had to wait 4 weeks for the
'master tech' to devote a clear week to try and find a cure.
Today had a phone call from the dealer saying that they have found that one cylinder is low on compression and they need to remove and strip the engine.
Any comments

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That is tough luck - I am surprised that they had not found this before because a compression test is so easily done.

However - you hopefully now have a cure in sight and can be thankful for the long warranty.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
 :whsaid:

What spring to mind is:

- blown head gasket
- faulty piston rings
- faulty valve / valve seat
- leak around the glow plug

Please let us know what they find.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline swivelhead

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Pool
Well the saga continues, phoned the dealer friday only to be told that work was ongoing and as the member of staff dealing with our car was on a day off they would get them to ring me Monday.
As is the norm no phone call was received, so I phoned them today. After being told that the compression was low I didn't think it would be ready but just wanted an update.
I got to speak to the head tech and after hearing his thoughts on the problems i must say I'm a little concerned at the way they are approaching the diagnosis. It seems that he thought that the injector seals were leaking and has replaced them with new. However the last time the car was in the injectors were sent to be tested and you would think that when replacing the injectors they would fit new seals.
So after 9 days we are still no nearer to having the car sorted and as far as the engine being low on compression that is at this stage not a concern (at least not for the dealer). I am at a loss as to what to do now, my wife loves the car but i must admit i am not that happy about it being driven any distance because the engine sounds very rough and the fuel usage has dropped from around 53 mpg to 42 at a real push.
Hopefully someone can advise me on any ideas they may have.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think I would be visiting and asking to speak to the service manager.

As I see it, there is some doubt as to what the problem actually is and this is why 9 days have elapsed. They are removing and guessing what to do on removal instead of having an actual repair plan.

An engine can be removed and repaired in no more than 2 days if parts are available.

If compression is low and has been proven, than they should be addressing that issue as in the cause and remedy, nothing else. Injector seals is as you described, probably not necessary.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi swivelhead

I can understand you not knowing which way to turn :whistler:...

All you can do is be civil but persistent until it is sorted. You have been very unlucky.

Hopefully member funky or one of our other experts will see the thread and offer some suggestions.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hibs34

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
it  could be the same as mine I had a valve stem cell gone and was blowing blue smoke  at start up and sounded rough they had to take manifold of to find problem that took them two weeks

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Sorry to hear your tale of woe, swivelhead.  :blubber:

I had a similar problem to yours and it turned out to be a blown glow plug fuse.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline swivelhead

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Pool
The saga continues, got the car back yesterday afternoon and its worse than before.
The smoke on start up has now gone but it is very noisy (fuel knock) now at all rpm, and to make matters worse its gutless.
It has no power unless you rev it past 3000 rpm.
One very unhappy wife.
Car has been in the garage for 26 days and still is not sorted, they have changed the injectors and have told me they had problems coding the new parts ?
Looks like a new car is in order.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Or a new Wife... (only joking) But I don't reckon you feel like joking... 26 days  :Shocked: :disapp:

How could they give it back to you like that  :confused: :fum:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
sounds like its lacking turbo boost.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
sounds like its lacking turbo boost.  :idea:

That is what I thought too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline swivelhead

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Pool
Well after a really bad day, not all down to the car i took the i30 back to the dealer again. Must be part of the fixtures and fittings as the receptionist,s and the service manager now use my first name.
After another  test drive the service manager said that the car didn't drive that badly yesterday and drove it straight into the workshop.
An hour later gave me the keys and said "try it". Didn't even have to move out of the car park as even pulling away the power was back. The problem was as above, vacuum hose off of the actuator.
So now faced with a car that my wife loves but doesn't trust anymore and sounds noisier than my merc sprinter.
So 2 hours later and the i30 goes before the new year to be replaced by a new Citroen C4.
While we both love the car i work away from home for long periods and can't have a car that my wife wont trust and it seems that we have just been unlucky as plenty of other people on this forum have had none of our problems.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well after a really bad day, not all down to the car i took the i30 back to the dealer again. Must be part of the fixtures and fittings as the receptionist,s and the service manager now use my first name.

After all the mucking around I would expect them to call me Mr. Swivelhead if I was you  :twisted:

Sorry to hear that hope you have a better go with the Citroen  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal