i30 Owners Club

2007 i30 Manual Diesel Not starting or dropping bellow 1000rpm when off help plz

Offline WAi30convert

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi all, My partner and I just bought our first i30 second hand and absolutely love it, The car is 2007 Manual diesel and has 101k odo had it for 4 months now. The car when started runs like a dream and cannot fault but occasionally when starting it just wont go, we wait for the glow plugs but it will just not start. After waiting a couple minutes try again and it usually goes but I had a friend point out to me that the car is sitting at 1000rpm's even when it is off. He being more knowledgeable than myself believes it is a computer problem but has never heard of it before. I really just want to know if this is a common problem with the older diesels and if fixing it is going to cost a fortune.. My partner and I are not mechanically minded but we always service when needed and take care of our vehicle. If anyone can shed some light on whether this will get worst or is an easy fix I would be truly thankful!
  • i30 2007 Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

Never heard of the Rev counter being stuck at 1000 rpm when engine not running before! Doubt it is part of the problem.

I suspect a couple of glow plugs need replacing (not an expensive fix) Does she blow a bit of smoke after having to kick over a bit?

We have one of Australia's best Hyundai Techs as a member (Cruiserfied) Hopefully he sees this and has some ideas!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Welcome aboard.

Your no start concern sounds similar to a concern with the immobiliser. I suggest getting a code check done to see if there are any DTC's

As for the tachometer staying at 1000rpm, does it operate as normal and 1000rpm is like zero or is it just stuck at 1000rpm?  id have to have a look at current data to see if it is a gauge issue or a sensor issue.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline WAi30convert

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi thank you both for your advice! It does blow a bit of white smoke on start up. For the tachometer it runs as if 1000rpms is Zero, it is like the engine now sees 1000 as 0
  • i30 2007 Diesel

Offline WAi30convert

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I forgot to mention in my reply the tachometer works fine while driving just wont go bellow the 1000rpm
  • i30 2007 Diesel

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
When cranking but not starting are there any lights on the dash?

By the sounds of it the gauge is out of whack. Not sure how that could happen though.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline WAi30convert

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I have attached 3 photos

1. Pre-start no key
2.Key turned/glow plugs
3.Engine is on

Hopefully this helps in anyway

(sorry about the poor pic quality I had to re size them)
  • i30 2007 Diesel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
FWIW, I'd go for a full ECU/BCM powerdown (disconnect the -ve battery lead for an hour).

Those cynics among you that consider this a red herring/waste of time should try it - it can do wonders.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
It looks like the needle has possibly jumped. When driving at 100km does your car read 2300rpm or 3300rpm?
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal