i30 Owners Club

Where to get constant power for the backseat area

sonnyside · 18 · 10365

Offline sonnyside

• 1st Gear
Hi

I am going to install headrest's with built in DVD's.

I want them to get constant power, so that they don't rely on ignition. Where is the best place to get this constant power connection, I hope there allready is a wire that runs near the backseats, which could be splitted and used for the DVD's as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Sonny

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm trying to remember who has already done this (if I remember I will edit this post)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i think it was the interior light dazz,but cant remember who it was either.  :-[
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was Eyecon .. I found it  :happydance:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5763.msg63002#msg63002

Here's a direct link to the You Tube Video

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The rear interior light would be constantly powered. I would NOT advise using any part of it though as it will not take the extra load you are planning. The bulb for the boot is probably around 21 watts or just under 2 Amps. The wire supplying the bulb will also be comfortable with 2 amps. Do not be tempted to increase the fuse to compensate, as you will be inviting a fire situation. BTW how many amps do the DVD's draw :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Why not plug into cig lighter or the 12V power supply which is by the cig lighter or see if you have 12V socket in the boot area.

I presume 12V socket is always live whereas the cig light only live when key switched to on.

I have a centre arm rest which has the connector for the iPod lead.  If you have this see if you can tap into it.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The 12V socket in the front of my car requires the ignition to be on - just like the cigar lighter.

I don't have a socket in the luggage compartment.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sonny, can you let us know what spec i30 you want to modify?

There may be other options available on Danish models (you there, Asterix?)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I'm right here, nursing my hangovers  :(

Mine is a Comfort, that's the top range here in DK, but I don't have a 12 V outlet in the boot, but maybe there is on newer models than mine (2008).

I would not tap into any existing powersupply for this purpose. I think the right thing to do is to connect a wire direct to the battery, through the fusebox with a suitable fuse mounted, and then on to the headrests.

I know this is not the easy solution, but anyway...

Alternatively is to have the 12 V outlet in front changed from only alive with ignition to alive constant.? It must be possible to move the wire at the fuse box to a connectionpoint with constant power.

By the way, how do you see that Sonny is Danish, is that because you are admin, or..  :question:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 19:48:32 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks Asterisk * :D

By the way, how do you see that Sonny is Danish, is that because you are admin, or..  :question:
It's the way he speaks better English than I do :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks Asterisk * :D

It's the way he speaks better English than I do :P

:-[
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Eyecon doesn't come on much (has other projects) But I am still in touch with him.. I'll ask him where he got his power from....

Offline jw_guildford

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnborough
I added some screens though I took the simple route and just added a plug for the 12V socket. In retrospect I probably should have done what you want, it can be a a bit of a pain not wanting to re-start the engine once they're going. Anyway, I seem to remember that in the centre console there's an always-on connection available. I think I probably found that out here as I searched for information about removing the centre console, it might be worth trying that and seeing what you can find.

Good luck!

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Permanent live from the battery with a switch to turn off once finished, to save the car from being drained. Simplest method i can think of, also connect an inline fuse holder a long the way.
Auto accessory store should be able to help you out. 
This way your not overloading any other circuit, if something goes wrong all  you have to do is disconnect from the battery. and easily removed.
Allows other accessories to be fitted at a later stage
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Use an empty spare  permanently live fuse socket or a fuse tap in the fuse box at the end of the dash.  My car has a spare fuse socket but the hyundai (U.K.) towbar wiring kit uses a fuse tap.

Fuse tap replaces a standard fuse with double, piggy back, fuses one replacing the original  circuit and the other providing a  feed wire

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/ATC-ATO-Add-A-Circuit-Fuse-Holder-Tap.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 16:52:48 by baradeur »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob: That's a neat idea baradeur (thanks)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Use an empty spare  permanently live fuse socket or a fuse tap in the fuse box at the end of the dash.  My car has a spare fuse socket but the hyundai (U.K.) towbar wiring kit uses a fuse tap.

Fuse tap replaces a standard fuse with double, piggy back, fuses one replacing the original  circuit and the other providing a  feed wire

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/ATC-ATO-Add-A-Circuit-Fuse-Holder-Tap.html

I bought a couple of those off ebay back when I was thinking about hardwiring my GPS..... :undecided:

Never did do it.....  :-[

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

O/K I got an answer from my M8 Eyecon  :happydance: (non permanent in his case)

Quote:

"As for the DVD players everything went through to the 120w aux socket (next to the cigarette lighter). This meant that I needed to buy a 2 into 1 cigarette  extension plug from Dick Smirh etc. that way I was able to plug the two head units at the same time via  the single aux socket. The added advantage of the 'Y' shaped extension sockets was that I was able to tuck the 2 incoming sockets under the dash (next to the glovebox) for a discrete fit. Now all you see is a single plug in the aux socket with a small bit of wire leading nowhere. The extension socket that I bought actually has a red on/off button at the end of the socket which plugs in to the aux socket so I can turn the DVD players on-off when I desire.

Keep in mind I did this for the reason of ease of reversibility. May be the newbie has a more permanent idea in mind. Also the aux socket can still be used for other things by taking the plug out. I've waffled on long enough. If you don't understand anything I said I can send you a pic instead. One other thing, don't use the cigarette lighter socket to connect the 2 DVD units at the same time. You will keep blowing fuses."

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal