i30 Owners Club

How do I remove the rear light cluster?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hi all, I want to add the double break light to my hatch. Looked at Hy global way and saw the four screws to remove the rear light assembly. Well I undid them, but the assembly won't let go of the body, seems to be hooked somewhere. I didn't want to break it, (belongs to the wife),  so can someone who has done this mod, tell me what to do next please.  :-[
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hi 84, I have done the mod  on my CW, so don't know if what I'm posting will help, but it might.

You're right,  the assembly is a bit hard to get off, but trust me, unless you are an ox, you won't break it.

There are three locating pins like this

These pins fit into a small plug in the body panel like this.

There are three locating pins.

Bottom -

Middle -

Top -

The lower locating pin needs to be done first. TO do this, gently lever the assembly outward at the bottom corner nearest the tailgate seal until you can get your fingers behind the assembly. Then, with a bit of force, pull the bottom of the assembly straight out until the pin disengages.

You then need to keep pulling outward and slightly upward to disengage the middle pin.

The top pin will then need a bit of force to disengage as well.

Don't forget to hold the bottom of the assembly in the palm of your hand otherwise when it comes free, the wiring harness will take all the weight.

Assembly is the opposite. Start from the top, locate the pin in the hole and give the assembly  a firm bang. Same with the middle and bottom pins.

Good luck.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I think it's the same on the hatch, that's the sort of resistance I can feel. Thank you kindly.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Nothing says it better than a picture.

BTW.......   Moo

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
a good pull gets it out,isn't that right UM.  :winker: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Pins are higher up in the hatch but still the same procedure. They sure do hang on tight.

UM..... Job done BTW.  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Pins are higher up in the hatch but still the same procedure. They sure do hang on tight.

UM..... Job done BTW.  :goodjob:
they're fairly tight for just a locating pin.   :Shocked:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
They're a smaller, barbed pin that actually push into a metal spring loaded housing, so the act as a locating pin & retainer. UM's directions still applied though. The lowest pin is about mid position and I used a plastic dowell to lever it out rather than pull directly on the light cluster. We now have 4 brake lights & it looks really good IMO.  :razz:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I wouldn't know about that, but I'll take your word for it, 2eyes :Shocked: :eek:

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I've had to do it once.I removed the screws, including the one that holds the tailgate stopper. I made a loop with a cable tie and lowered it down onto the triangle point (as far down  as i could go). This allowed me to pull from the top and the bottom evenly, without creating a pinch point at the top of the cluster and the paintwork. Then it was a short sharp jerk, straight backwards to rear.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@aye30,

That's a good idea with the cable tie. I'll do that if I ever need to take them off again.  :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I wouldn't know about that, but I'll take your word for it, 2eyes :Shocked: :eek:
i thought that's how you removed your tail light,i used that method.  :winker: :cool:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Didn't have rear fog lamps before the mod either.  :neutral:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Didn't have rear fog lamps before the mod either.  :neutral:

So you don't have rear fog lamps in Oz?  What is your layout?

U.K. has.... from top to bottom
Rear light/brake light
Indicator
Reverse
Fog

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
My understanding is that fog lights when available are fitted in the rear bumper about the same height as the front fog lights.

OZ has.... from top to bottom
Rear light
Indicator
Reverse
Brake Light

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Quote from: 847563 link=topic=13472.msg149022#msg149022 date=1331278932so,

My understanding is that fog lights when available are fitted in the rear bumper about the same height as the front fog lights.

OZ has.... from top to bottom
Rear light
Indicator
Reverse
Brake Light
More questions please  if you don't mind.
Did you convert the rear light to a rear light/stop light by fitting a twin filament 5/21w bulb? If so was the bulb holder already a twin filament unit which would be the case if the same lamp unit is  used in all markets?  If not how did you modify it?
Isn't the brake light circuit  integral with the ESP and engine management systems  with four connections to the brake light switch? Will the switch take the extra current long term? I had a failed brake switch on a Hy Terracan which caused limp home mode to operate.  Stripping the faulty switch later revealed rather delicate contacts which had arced and pitted perhaps caused by the switch taking the additional 47 watt  load when towing a caravan during a  long touring holidays.

Just interested because I would like to modify my  rear fog light to a rear light/fog light but need to  get a twin filament bulb holder to fit the lamp housing.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Australian cars come with the double filament fitting & double filament bulb fitted, but the 21w does nothing. Others in Australia have already done this mod. which prompted me to do the same.

There has been mention that the brake light switch is in fact a weak point on these cars with esp performing erratically and blamed on the switch. None of the other people who have made this mod have had a brake light switch fail AFAIK. So if mine plays up, so be it.

The extra safety of 5 rear brake lamps outweighs the switch failure in my opinion. I have had other brand cars with brake switch failure, so the I30 is not on its own. I am currently developing my own LED lamps to do the same job and the current draw will eventually be less than the original 2 bulb arrangement. I hope to post this later this year, just have to find the time to do it.

Have driven the car all this week and there are no ESP problems or any other strange things happening so all is well for now.  :)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Australian cars come with the double filament fitting & double filament bulb fitted, but the 21w does nothing.

Thanks.
So the rear lamp assemblies are the same regardless of market (but the wiring is different?) Me, I prefer two rear lights each side in case a bulb goes.  Guess I will have to source a bulb holder from a scrap yard to convert the rear fog lamp  to a rear light /rear fog light.

The brake light switches appear to be  the same on theI30 as were on my Terracan...hardly surprising as  a switch is a switch.
It may be that there was just a batch of failures or  the spec was  upped. I kept my old switch, cleaned the contacts and increased the pressure so have a spare if I need it   ;)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Australian cars come with the double filament fitting & double filament bulb fitted, but the 21w does nothing.

Thanks.
So the rear lamp assemblies are the same regardless of market (but the wiring is different?) Me, I prefer two rear lights each side in case a bulb goes.  Guess I will have to source a bulb holder from a scrap yard to convert the rear fog lamp  to a rear light /rear fog light.

The brake light switches appear to be  the same on theI30 as were on my Terracan...hardly surprising as  a switch is a switch.
It may be that there was just a batch of failures or  the spec was  upped. I kept my old switch, cleaned the contacts and increased the pressure so have a spare if I need it   ;)

Baradeur

On my car the lower light is only fog light, but there is a double bulb, so it would be easy to connect the 5W part of the bulb to the wiring of the top rear light.
Like others, I like the safety in having 2 rear lights in each side of the car, just in case..
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Baradeur

Slight confusion here for me, you currently have fog capability in your tail lamp assembly, I don't. How do you propose to keep the fog capability & have brake lights at the same bulb. The fitted double filament are 21/5. Both brake & fog would use the 21watts wouldn't they? What happens in the circuit when you brake & have fog selected as well. Having 2 wires feeding 1 filament may cause other problems. I would advise against this modification.   :(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
There has been mention that the brake light switch is in fact a weak point on these cars with esp performing erratically and blamed on the switch. None of the other people who have made this mod have had a brake light switch fail AFAIK. So if mine plays up, so be it.

Seems to me this mod would give Hyundai a reason not to cover the brake light switch in the case of failure down the track....so, is the mod worth it?
Honestly, how many brake lights do we need....we already have 3, and if someone can't see them come on in front of them, then perhaps they aren't looking, which in that case an extra 2 probably won't make bugger-all difference.... :wink:

Oh, and then there's the question mark about the "road rule" legality of such a mod...for us Aussies rule 219 says  "Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users"
A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user. 

Just something to consider.... :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I take it you're not a fan of this mod. As far as warranty is concerned, that would probably be the case, I don't dispute that at all.

I don't think adding 2 more lamps would cause a dazzling effect because the intensity of each light is still only 21 w. At night it probably is overkill but on a sunny afternoon with the sun at certain angles 5 lights are better than 3 IMHO.

In the end, if someone's watching a bit of skirt  :Shocked:, 23 lights wouldn't save you from a rear end accident.   :'(

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Seems to me this mod would give Hyundai a reason not to cover the brake light switch in the case of failure down the track....so, is the mod worth it?
Honestly, how many brake lights do we need....we already have 3, and if someone can't see them come on in front of them, then perhaps they aren't looking, which in that case an extra 2 probably won't make bugger-all difference.... :wink:

Oh, and then there's the question mark about the "road rule" legality of such a mod...for us Aussies rule 219 says  "Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users"
A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user. 

Just something to consider.... :whistler:

I'd like to see Dazzler's comments on this post. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I take it you're not a fan of this mod. As far as warranty is concerned, that would probably be the case, I don't dispute that at all.

I don't think adding 2 more lamps would cause a dazzling effect because the intensity of each light is still only 21 w. At night it probably is overkill but on a sunny afternoon with the sun at certain angles 5 lights are better than 3 IMHO.

In the end, if someone's watching a bit of skirt  :Shocked:, 23 lights wouldn't save you from a rear end accident.   :'(

I can take it or leave it re the mod, Phil..... :)

Just thought I'd point out the potential issues with doing it...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd like to see Dazzler's comments on this post. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I like to dazzle as much as I can  :happydance: I like the idea of using the two redundant globes but won't be doing it in Trish's CW as I would never live it down if I scratched something taking the lights out or some other problem eventuated down the track  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Baradeur

Slight confusion here for me, you currently have fog capability in your tail lamp assembly, I don't. How do you propose to keep the fog capability & have brake lights at the same bulb. The fitted double filament are 21/5. Both brake & fog would use the 21watts wouldn't they? What happens in the circuit when you brake & have fog selected as well. Having 2 wires feeding 1 filament may cause other problems. I would advise against this modification.   :(

I want an extra rear light not an extra brake light.
I am assuming that I can fit  a twin contact socket  with a 21/5 watt bulb (as used on my existing stop/tail) in the fog light section  to give  fog and rear lights so I wouldn't have two wires feeding one filament.
Asterix stated earlier that his fog light section already has a twin filament bulb but it only uses the 21 watt filament. Having just checked my car it definitely has a single filament bulb in the fog light section.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Ok, understand now.  :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal