i30 Owners Club

Steinbauer Module fitted to 1.6L CRDi Manual

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...
Before Christmas i researched Performance Modules for my 1.6L CRDi and after many hours of research i decided to purchase the Austrian built "Steinbauer."
Steinbauer seem to be one of the only companies that build their modules with longevity in mind, they actually modify the duration of the diesel injection instead of just upping the fuel pressure and pumping more fuel in, although this method works to produce more power it can have detrimental effects on the car over time.
Mind you Steinbauer Modules are not cheap, they're about $1495AUD if you purchase one directly from an Australian distributor, compare that to an Ebay special where you can pick one up for about $100 - $200, I'm hoping i get what i paid for  :wacko:
Well the module is now fitted to the car via a (high quality) Steinbauer wiring harness which intercepts each injector and connects to the battery and the module. The harness also has a reference wire which needs to be connected to the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), this is the hardest part but an Automotive buff friend of mine helped me with that and it's all up and running.
To tell you the truth i haven't noticed much difference but I'm going to do some comparisons via some acceleration tests, I'll update this post when I've done it if anyone's interested.
I'll attempt to attach a couple of photos of the install, bye for now....  :D
  • Hyunda FD i30 x 2 / Toyota Mr2 turbo / Toyota Corolla 4wd / Nissan Condor truck

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Wow, that's a lot of money for not much noticeable difference, I hope you get what you paid for too.  :scared:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...
I actually paid about $1150 for it by buying it directly from Germany, although Steinbauer will only sell to Australia via their distributors here, i had a friend in Germany ship it to his house and then he sent it to me. It's still a lot of money but i figured if it does what it claims and doesn't wreck my car whilst doing it then  it's worth it. If i were to buy a cheap one with virtually no warranty and it caused engine dramas I'd be up for probably a lot more money, the Steinbauer has a 3 year warranty and guarantees their product will not cause damage and they are a very well known company, especially in Europe.
  • Hyunda FD i30 x 2 / Toyota Mr2 turbo / Toyota Corolla 4wd / Nissan Condor truck

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Surely - that has got to void your Hyundai warranty. It looks too complex an install to remove each time you have the car serviced.

If so, it is not a mod I would entertain no matter what performance improvement it produced.

I wish you well with it - if you get pleasure from it your investment will be worth it.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...
All the connectors on the wiring harness unplug and there's one bolt holding a bracket for the module, the engine cover needs to be removed which is a simple task, all up I'm guessing it would take 5 - 10 minutes at the most.
BTW, sending my car to Hyundai for servicing is not something i do, I've worked at many dealerships and have seen how the cars get treated  :mad:
If my car HAS to go to Hyundai for some recall or warranty purpose i would remove the module and leave no trace it was ever there.

Pip
If you haven't already you need to tell your insurance company. It will be a lot harder to remove after a serious accident - just the time you want the insurance to work for you.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal