i30 Owners Club

How to connect iPhone 5s to i30cw 2009 using cable for hands-free calls?

Offline clashonseven

• 1st Gear
Hi there,

I have an i30cw year 2009. I see there's a "phone" hole near the cigarette lighter, the 2.5mm jack. I'm using iPhone 5s and now I want to use my phone connected to car stereo system for hands-free calls. I noticed there's a microphone over my head.

My question is: how can I make a cable DIY to connect my phone to the 2.5mm hole? How can I use phone buttons on steering wheel to take call and increase/reduce volume?

Can anyone share the diagram of the cable? Note that iphone use 3.5mm jack :(

Thanks, Bang

• i30cw 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

Sorry, I don't use Apple products, so can't talk from experience, but I would imagine you can buy a cable somewhere (Ebay maybe) that will do the job.

Would be surprised if anyone knows the configuration.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: clashonseven
I noticed there's a microphone over my head.

... phone buttons on steering wheel ...

Can't you connect using Bluetooth?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi there,

I have an i30cw year 2009. I see there's a "phone" hole near the cigarette lighter, the 2.5mm jack. I'm using iPhone 5s and now I want to use my phone connected to car stereo system for hands-free calls. I noticed there's a microphone over my head.

My question is: how can I make a cable DIY to connect my phone to the 2.5mm hole? How can I use phone buttons on steering wheel to take call and increase/reduce volume?

Thanks, Bang
I can't see where in the world you are... so sorry if these questions/comments seem weird.

In answer to your make a DIY cable - no idea at this time... not sure many here have socket you describe.  But for hands-free you may not need it.

Most people seem to have a AUX (3.5mm) & USB socket panel with a 2DIN stereo (head-unit).   Some markets have 1DIN head-units (with a separate LCD clock beneath) - wiring diagram I have seen for this does not seem to have USB - but does have AUX (sorry I have no idea what size or location) which could be what you are describing.   So the first question is do you have a 1DIN or 2DIN head-unit? (See below for examples)

However you may not need to use the jack for hands-free...

Regarding using the stereo (head-unit) for hands-free calling: Assuming everything sound related in you car is OEM (i.e. factory fitted - not dealer fitted or after market) - you should be able to connect the phone via. Bluetooth for hands-free phone operation (I haven't yet heard of OEM hands-free not using Bluetooth).  And instructions should be in the manual(s) - but there maybe a separate radio manual.   I base this on your mention of steering wheel controls and mic - which, if OEM fitted, would indicate the head-unit (or something connected to it) would support it.   I am assuming the steering wheel is something like this: http://smartauto.kr/auto/OEM%20parts/steering%20wheel/i30_08-10/audio_handsfree_sw_08-10_i30.jpg - when you mention 'phone buttons on steering wheel' (I have cruise control buttons instead).

Could I suggest you take photos of your steering wheel-controls, head-unit, the jack/lighter socket, microphone, etc..  Instructions on using photobucket are elsewhere on the site; but you could also use imgur, etc., etc..  Somebody might recognise what you have and say what you need to do.

This is an example of an std. (2DIN) OEM head-unit - http://www.carstereosatnav.com/photo/carstereosatnav/editor/20120331104746_98259.jpg    There also some 1DIN versions in some markets - Canada for example - see :link: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. from Phil №❶ originally posted on :link: Canadian Elantra Touring Radio Install Questions for front view of a 1DIN example.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:15:27 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Usually any OEM 'jack'/socket is for AUX sound input and not needed for hands-free - most head-units with built in hands-free connect to the phone via Bluetooth.  And most aftermarket hands-free (which all connect to the phone via bluetooth) either a) don't connect to the head-unit at all; b) transmit via. FM to the radio (i.e appears to be a radio station); or c) plugs in between the head-unit and speakers (and drives one, or more, itself when a call is active).  So if the head-unit (stereo) has built in hands-free it is almost certainly via. Bluetooth.

However AUX could be required if you wanted to play music from the iPhone (esp. if no USB).   You describe it being 2.5mm, and don't mention USB, so I am guessing it isn't this (which is 3.5mm and USB): http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/sunway888/Hyundai-Kia.jpg

There does seem to be regions where the i30 (FD body e.g. up to ~2012) does have a panel located there (between the lighter sockets).   But in my 2010 i30cw there is no 2.5mm hole, or indeed panel, there.   Mine has the panel located in a storage compartment, just behind the handbrake lever, with a padded top (under the top a change tray sits on top of a deeper compartment).   About half-way down the inside front of the compartment there is a level area with a flap - which has a panel like the above panel.

I suppose it really comes down to:

Have you had the car from new? or did you buy the car used?  If used - did you get the manuals?  They should have instructions for OEM head-unit, in some-cases the head-unit manual may have been separate (and if used car then it may have been lost).  As mentioned above I am assuming you have an OEM head-unit.  If you bought it used then the head-unit (and maybe the 2.5mm socket) *might be* aftermarket (fitted by a previous owner).  Of course there is also the possibility the dealer fitted an aftermarket head-unit (either as an upgrade or purchaser's request).

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid: I'm confident you won't get hands-free out of the 2.5mm socket, just an audio input from an MP3 player or phone.
My hands-free is via Bluetooth through my Navman GPS. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Hi there,

Thanks, Bang
If there is microphone and phone button why don't your use Bluetooth and even play your music via Bluetooth?
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
If there is microphone and phone button why don't your use Bluetooth and even play your music via Bluetooth?

I am sought of working on the premise - since he didn't mention Bluetooth he might not have been aware he has it (if indeed he does).

As for playing music via bluetooth - uck uck uck  :whistler:  Bluetooth compression ruining sound - eek. :D   Actually it is much better than it used to be.   So yeah - that is likely a good work around for music playing if nothing else.

Offline clashonseven

• 1st Gear
Hi there,

I lost access to my email, so it took me some times to come back. Appreciate responses from you guys. Some updates:

1. I bought this car from my friend, no changes to the car. So everything is OEM.

2. The Head-unit is 1-DIN (as in attached file). I attach the steering wheel as well, with "head-phone", "phone", "phone-volumes up/down" buttons on the right.

3. There's "head-phone" and "phone" 2.5mm sockets between the cigaret lighter and 12V power socket near the gear knob. Please see the attached file.

4. After a while searching in website, I understand that I need to DIY a cable, with 1 end with 2.5mm (for car socket) and 1 end with 3.5mm (for iphone socket). However, I only can use 01 speaker of the phone (not stereo) because the 2.5mm jack only have 3 wires (for MIC, LEFT SPEAKER and GROUND - from tip to rubber) while 3.5mm jack of iphone have 4 wires (LEFT, RIGHT, GROUND and MIC - from tip to rubber). Attached is wiring diagram.

Now I can listen and answer the call thru car left speaker (near A pillar) and talk via microphone over my head. To take incomming call, I can press the "phone" button on steering wheel, but I still need to sweep on iphone screen to really take the call. Here's the procedure:
- Incoming call, the phone will ring
- Press the "phone" button on streering wheel, the CD screen will display "Telephone mute" and car will mute the music (if it's playing). The phone ring will transfer to car left speaker
- I need to touch the iphone to "answer the call"
- Listen and answer the call thru the car speaker / microphone system.

My question now is:
- Can I simply press the "phone" button on steering wheel and the iphone will automatically take the call? currently, i need to additionally "answer the call" by touching the iphone screen.

Thanks!
  • i30cw 2009

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Is the photo of the head-unit in your last post - what your headunit looks like?  If so that is a 2DIN, not 1DIN unit.

Not saying you have - just something to be aware of... there was a mid 90s onward vehicle called the 'Infinity I30' produced by Nissan.   I find results for it, the wrong I30, are quite prevalent when looking for wiring diagrams and circuit schematics.

If your head-unit looks exactly that the image pictured - then it will not have bluetooth.   But it may have USB input capability - however nothing to say it has to be connected in your model.  The most usual location (except for the photo from an earlier post) is in the center drivers/passengers armrest/center console main storage area.   However, if fitted, I have no idea if USB will work regards the phone-call.

May I ask your region or country?   I haven't seen such a pair of sockets in an FD i30 previously.

As for the sequence to answer - really am not sure.   I don't see, using those sockets, how the connection to tell the phone to answer the call would work.

Sorry not really being very much help.

Offline clashonseven

• 1st Gear
Hello,

I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes, the head-unit is exactly the same as picture. It's 2-DIN.

There's a box under arm rest, and there's an AUX 3.5mm socket and a female USB port. On the HU, I can select sources of USB or AUX using AUX button (next to CD button on left of HU). I plugged an USB there to play MP3 files, and can use (2 x 3.5mm jack) cable to connect my iphone to AUX port. I can play stereo songs from my iphone thru AUX port. I even can call when i connect iphone to aux port, voice will be transferred to car stereo speakers, but I'm not sure the system uses MIC on iphone or MIC of car (over my head). The thing is, if I connect thru AUX, I cannot use "Phone" button on steering wheel.

My car is made in Czech. It's not distributed in my country, Vietnam, and it was imported by dealer. Btw, I confirm that my car is Hyundai i30 CW (FD i30 year 2009)
  • i30cw 2009

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi

Not a problem!  Okay - then the head-unit is (in all likely hood) a PA-710 or PA-760 (for this they are basically the same - you can find some info elsewhere on the site about the specifics).

I don't currently have a the PA-710 that came with my car fitted, so can't check if you need the AUX cable at all at least for music playback (the PA-710/760 being a number of years old this might be the case).

Not being familiar with that specific setup, regarding the sockets. The only thing I can think of is somehow using the 'TEL-Mute' line seen :link: HOW TO: FD Body - OEM (2DIN) headunit - Wiring/Pinout to cause the phone to answer (by making it believe user pressed button to do so) but that is starting to get complicated.

As for the not knowing which MIC is being used - maybe you could cover the iPhone in a pillow, etc.  And see if it records clear or muffled sounds.

In regards to the headunit I now have fitted, it is OEM (but specific to AU), and has bluetooth builtin - the headunit is called an FD-01.   You can sometimes find them for sale on ebay.

Offline clashonseven

• 1st Gear
Thanks ibrokeit. I will look for FD-01 headunit on ebay and replace mine. Thanks and have a nice weekend!
  • i30cw 2009

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Of course you will need to check if it will pickup your AM/FM radio stations, etc., etc..   being it is an Australian headunit

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal