i30 Owners Club

Reversing Camera Options?

krouton · 12 · 4189

Offline krouton

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• MY10 SLX CRDi 5Sp - Hyper Silver
Ok, so I've bought this reversing camera. http://cgi.ebay.com.au:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250648119919&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&autoredirect=off#ht_7668wt_964

Hasn't arrived yet, but hopefully it fits all snug. What I'm having trouble with is finding the best solution to view what it looks at. I've looked at the yum-cha GPS's on eBay that have AV-in but the maps are generally out of date etc. Plus I already have my iPhone and Tomtom cradle so that handles Bluetooth as well as GPS. Thought about that Chinese in-dash GPS/DVD/Stereo unit for the i30 that has a camera input function but I like the stock stereo and how it works, not to mention one of the reasons I bought a SLX (wheel mounted controls). Yes I know the in-dash one works with the wheel controls, but it's an unknown just how compatible they are. Don't really want another monitor stuck to the windscreen either. Anyone got any suggestions. Maybe a good mounting point for a monitor that hides away when not needed.. I've considered the hidey-hole above the stereo but I don't want to put any holes in the dash.

Anyway, thought I'd put it out there if maybe someone has come across something that might work. I'm pretty fussy I know.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wonder if you could clip a small gps monitor with an input to the rear view mirror or attach it to the sunglass cubby in the headlining some how ? :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Shall be interested to see how well it fits in to the number plate light it replaces. Keep us posted when you fit it. Some pics would be good.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Yeah would be interested myself to see how it looks and goes.

Just on the iPhone and TomTom - I run a TomTom app on my iPhone for GPS purposes - very happy with the way it operates too.

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
maybe consider a rear view mirror with monitor ?   plenty on ebay for sale

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
flip down screen where the sun glasses holder/map lights are...

Offline krouton

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

has anyone had any experience with those clip on rear view mirrors that have screens in them. It's more the 'mirror' part I'm interested in. Are they like a real mirror when the screen is off? I don't know where one of these might be in a store where I can physically look. then the next problem would be getting the wiring down to a power source as discreetly as possible. 

At the moment I'm leaning towards one of these. 
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190291801968&_trksid=p2759.l1259
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180552199955&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3436wt_771

Also trying to work out the best mounting point - preferably not on the dash. Maybe off the centre console on the passenger side about knee height. 

I think I know what my weekend is mostly going to consist of....   lol

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Both appear to have their merits.
The one that folds away is good as it means it can be hidden - but then you need to flip it up everytime you want to use it - the novelty may wear off on that.

The other one means you need to mount it somewhere and may get obtrusive - esp if you have other devices mounted around the dash.

Another option is that you can get the sensors with a little screen prol only a couple of inches wide that will beep and give you distance to the object - not the same I know but just thought I'd throw in that!

Offline krouton

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

yeah the flip one could get annoying but you could also mount it in a place where you left it up the whole time and only shut it when you dont want it.

The interesting/good thing about these monitors is that they all have 2 x AV inputs, so I could get myself another generic camera and mount it on the front of the car. Hmmmm, this could turn into much more of a project than I anticipated.

Another option is the Navman MY75T which has a AV input, but since I already have a GPS I'd be paying $400, essentially, for a bigger screen and AV input.

Have just bought some play-doh, so will make up some mock device sizes over the weekend and see where they best fit. The flip down compartment under the stereo is winning at the moment.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Update...think I've solved it. The top comprment of the armrest. Is out of the way and if I'm reversing I'm already kinda looking it direction anyway. Should need no holes

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
How cheap are those monitors on ebay :eek: :eek: :eek: (can that be correct??)

I would get the smaller one and mount it on the dash somewhere...(I can't imagine it in the armrest)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pavka

• 1st Gear
Can you post some pics how this camera fit on backplate? maybe some photos how "see" camera?

Also how hard is to hide this 5 m cable inside car?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I saw that reversing camera on Ebay too & would be really interested in seeing some photos of it fitted too if possible.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal