i30 Owners Club

1000 km first complementary service - JUST an inspection??

i30niko · 19 · 14440

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Hey guys,

Diesel i30 MY11....has done 2600kms so I decided to check the oil level.

Pulled out the dipstick and the oil was literally black (As black as the background on this website).

Called the dealer and asked if he had changed the oil in the 1000km mark.

he said NO it is purely an inspection!! I was really surprised actually, I know it is a free service but seriously, what do they get paid for to look under the car with a torch light??

He said the oil is purely discoloration based and I should not worry about it.

I feel the need to jack the car up and do it my self, or should I wait for the 7,500?? I thought the first oil change is important as it removes all new by-products from the engine made in the factory!

REGARDS
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Pip
Lots of soot gets into the oil, I imagine particularly the first oil before the rings bed in. Just get used to it, it's not anything to worry about.

Yes it's just an inspection. Hy actually (as I understand it) discourage changing the first oil too soon. I don't know why unless it's a special run-in blend. I was told the original fill was Shell Helix Ultra way back, no idea if true or current info either.

I'm for swapping it out around 7,000km or so - just in case. :sweating:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The dealer is quite right - the engine oil in a diesel car is very quickly discoloured and there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

With modern lubricants the biggest danger to the engine components is not the minute carbon particles in the oil which gives it its black colour - but the unseen acid buil-up that gradually occurs if the average engine temperatures are low due to frequent stop-starts and slow journeys in city driving.  A car driven regularly at high speeds on long journeys actually needs fewer oil changes than someone only using it for short journeys in town where the engine never gets hot enough to drive off the acid/water build-up in the engine oil.

The oil change frequency recommended by a manufacturer is conservative - they have to assume the car will be used mostly on shorter journeys - because some will.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
On my '09 diesel I changed the oil at 7500 kms and made the decision to use a good quality oil from then on, which I have done.
The initial free 1000 km "check" was a complete waste of time for mine. I posted all about it at the time but they did nothing, zilch, zero, other than fill in the log book.
From the 15,000 km service onwards I got mine serviced at 15,000 km intervals, firstly because of the oil I use (Shell Helix Ultra) and secondly. because I do my kms quickly.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
On my '09 diesel I changed the oil at 7500 kms and made the decision to use a good quality oil from then on, which I have done.
The initial free 1000 km "check" was a complete waste of time for mine. I posted all about it at the time but they did nothing, zilch, zero, other than fill in the log book.
From the 15,000 km service onwards I got mine serviced at 15,000 km intervals, firstly because of the oil I use (Shell Helix Ultra) and secondly. because I do my kms quickly.

Yeah I really wonder what they do on the 1000km check??? Honestly I bet they host the car up and back down again......Its a brand new car after all what sort of inspection would there be needed.....

I was always left with the impression that the pure reason for doing an 1000km service is to change the oil....I was obviously mistaken

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

With mine they thought I had gone away (which I had, but I came back).
I watched them drive the car in, lift the bonnet, fillout the logbook, close the bonnet and drive it out. A matter of about three minutes.
And the "technician" got rather aggressive when challenged.
It was the first and last time that my car went to that dealership for "servicing."
But they would have picked up their fee from Hyundai for conducting the 1,000 km service.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I watched them drive the car in, lift the bonnet, fillout the logbook, close the bonnet and drive it out. A matter of about three minutes.
It was the first and last time that my car went to that dealership for "servicing."
But they would have picked up their fee from Hyundai for conducting the 1,000 km service.

That's pretty bad, I bet they probably did the exact same thing on my vehicle.....
No wonder the service is free......

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

That's pretty bad, I bet they probably did the exact same thing on my vehicle.....
No wonder the service is free......

I don't know what they did with mine, but it was still parked in the same spot when I returned to pick it up. Seems lucky that the spot would be avaliable in a busy dealership, as it was a prime spot.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Dunno what they did to mine...other than wash it....  :)

At least you got a wash...... :(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Did you write a "complimentary" letter to Hyundai head office, Dave?  :whistler:

Offline Mel

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Sydney

• 2010 I30 CW SLX CRDI Auto

Dunno what they did to mine...other than wash it....  :)

I feel so ripped off I had to wait till 110 000kms to get mine washed at Hyundai.... and even then it was only after a dummy spat  :laughter: and my 1000 was a quick look over and I was on my way but the schedule does say to inspect and that's all
  • 2010 CW SLX CRDI auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'd like to know what the dealer gets from Hy for the 1k inspection. Admittedly, the inspection is to check if something is "going to be  a problem" before the next service. If they are adequately reimbursed by Hy, then they should spend more than 3 minutes on inspecting the car. Indirectly, they're ripping off the new owner of the vehicle (us) by not properly performing a service that Hy deem necessary.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I doubt Hyundai would be giving them anything. It would be a part of the terms of selling their cars, that they do the inspection. It also allows the service department to introduce themselves etc.

Mel, my (non Hyundai) mechanic always washes the car after a service, if there quiet they will even tackle the inside of the wife's car with a vacuum (with two kids in the back it can be a mission!!).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Did you write a "complimentary" letter to Hyundai head office, Dave?  :whistler:

No, just didn't go back there.
I had too many letters to write.  :lol:
I've never had it washed either but that suits me as I prefer to wash my own.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline kyle0968

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
With my car's first complimentary service I have expected too much as I was expecting the oil to be changed either :lol:

but at least the wiper washer fluid got filled up.

oh, I have also marked up the exact positions of oil filler caps, dipstick and other fluids. and they weren't in the same position when I got the car back   :victory:

• GD i30 active petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No oil change required at that interval.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Ancient thread dig but this is the service I'd considered a post-delivery.
I thought Mrs petrol i-30 came back more peppy, the paperwork mentioned something about a Hyundai ecu adjustment.(can't remember their wording)   
Also scored some fuel additive and the car was washed/vacuumed.

• i-30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That was good crayman :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal