i30 Owners Club

Assembly-swirl device issue

Snoozy · 9 · 1802

Offline Snoozy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Hi folks, new here.
Got a fault light diagnosed at the service center the other day, came up with a couple of error codes relating to the assembly-swirl device which regulates the air intake (is this correct?). The unit does not appear to have full range of movement according to the service guy. He quoted a new unit at $1000AUD with tax. (labor cost around $450). Doesn't seem to affect the running of the car, so it's not urgent at this stage.

I'm in Australia and am researching trying to source a genuine OEM unit for a more affordable price.
Qs:
Has anyone had a similar issue with this unit?
Does anyone have suggestions as to which websites are good for genuine parts or quality aftermarket?
I have the part # hy-283202a600.
I have found a couple of examples already which claim to be OEM, but am still wary.
Would appreciate any input.
Thanks in advance.
  • i30 diesel

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If the device is easy to remove from the car and a DIY job your cheapest source of a genuine unit may be breakers where they have a car that's been rear ended.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Snoozy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
OK, thanks. Have thought about wreckers but would rather steer clear of that unless absolutely necessary.

I'm prepared to pay, just not $1000.
If anyone knows of an reliable distributor websites please let me know.

I found a couple like this, looks genuine enough (pic att.):

:link: KIA (KS), NEW PRIDE (RIO) 12, DEVICE ASSY-SWIRL, 283202A600 (28320-2A600)
  • i30 diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
$1000 seems a bit rich for a $160 dollar part :link: OEM Swirl Control Device Assy fits Sportage /i40 2012-2017 , 28320-2A600 | eBay

KORAPS or one of the other international part suppliers https://partsouq.com/ may even be cheaper :undecided:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 14:59:50 by CraigB »

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Are you DIY handy? If not, you can bring the beast around when you have the part. Four hands are better than two.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Snoozy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Are you DIY handy? If not, you can bring the beast around when you have the part. Four hands are better than two.

I wrench a little bit. I have a 1972 F100 which I tinker with as well as a HD Streetbob and a couple of other vehicles including my daily. I do some mech work but the missus doesn't trust me with the i30 as it's the car she uses.
Install of this unit looks pretty straight forward from what I can see, 2 bolts and a clip attaching it to the actuator arm. Easy to get to as well, no major strip down, maybe taking inlet manifold off?
Anyway, she wants computer testing and warranty for work etc. so to the shop it goes.

We're down near Mt Gambier, still a bit of a hike to Adelaide. Thanks for the offer though.  :)
  • i30 diesel

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
do you know if the mechanic removed it from the car to determin if the swirl assembly has reduced movement or if the device it attaches to has reduced movement?

Offline Snoozy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
do you know if the mechanic removed it from the car to determin if the swirl assembly has reduced movement or if the device it attaches to has reduced movement?

Good question. I don't know for sure. We've gone ahead and bought a unit from Korea for $185 shipped...big difference. We'll see how it pans out.
  • i30 diesel

Offline Baker

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      2300 NEWCASTLE NSW
How did you go after installing the new one ?
I've been quoted by hyundai $1335 for the exact same issue, Newcastle nsw
I had already ordered from spare korea before seeing this post. Im going to fit myself looks very straight forward with great access.

• Hyundai i30 diesel 2015

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal