i30 Owners Club

20" rims

THE i30 · 19 · 6197

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Rockhampton Queensland Australia
Would any one know what off set and rim width I will need when fitting a 20" rim and 235/30R20 tyre to a 2012 i30 CRDi
  • 2012 Hyper Silver i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi 6 Speed Manual

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Would any one know what off set and rim width I will need when fitting a 20" rim and 235/30R20 tyre to a 2012 i30 CRDi

I think there are too many variables involved in this to answer on the web.
I would take your car to the nearest Bob Jane and talk to them about it. They can enlist the help of their suppliers.
There's one in your town.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I have been on their web site and there are 35mm and 45mm offsets with the right PCD and rim widths from 7.7"to 8.5" 

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have been on there web site and their are 35mm and 45mm offsets with the right PCD and rim widths from 7.7"to 8.5"
Fair enough. But at the end of the day, the selected wheel is going to have to be offered up to the car (sans tyre) to ensure clearances so unless you have another preferance of a wheel supplier in town, I still think it's be worth a visit. This puts the onus on them to provide the best option.

I should state here that I have never worked for a Bob Jane T Mart, although I have supplied them stuff. But I recognise their strengths in the business.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I have always had good service from them and have a good range of rims and tyres that's why I usually use them> It would be nice to go there with an idea of what rim is available for the i30 with a 235/30R20 tyre. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
20" wheels will have a very detrimental effect on the ride and some on the road noise too I imagine  :sweating:

Wouldn't 18" be a better compromise? (much cheaper replacement tyres too, I suspect)  :cool:

.. sorry to be so negative but you need to check with your insurance company too .. to see what effect they will have on that as well  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Just wondering THE i30, how does the cost of rims and tyres compare to just leaving them as they are now, and why do you want 20's :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I suspect the ride would be a bit like you'd get with wagon wheels fitted... :lol:

And I would imagine the insurance companies would just laugh at you if you tried to make a claim...

Pip
Very interesting but no surprises. Best I got out of that was that my 16" wheels are a good compromise and the Golf has an accurate speedo.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i know 20's wont fit on an FD i30,but I'm not sure about the FG i30.  :undecided:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Or the GD.  :whistler:  :wink:
:-[ or one of those.  :whistler:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
You might like to read this too:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

Thanks Rusty very intresting read maybe 18's might be better and there is a bigger range to choose from in that size.

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I went with 18" PDW rims in satin black with 225/40/18 tyres on them it loos great :)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I went with 18" PDW rims in satin black with 225/40/18 tyres on them it loos great :)

Guard set up on the GD must be different from the FD,largest tryes I could get on the FD safely was 215's without doing major guard damage,I have also been informed by Hy service that having the larger rims and extra width does in fact put extra stress on your steering and bearings.

Thats a risk I'm prepared to take, as bearings and tie rod ends are consumables and not warrantable,so I'll put up with a far superior drivablity to the old 15" skinny steel rims
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Guard set up on the GD must be different from the FD,largest tryes I could get on the FD safely was 215's without doing major guard damage,I have also been informed by Hy service that having the larger rims and extra width does in fact put extra stress on your steering and bearings.

Thats a risk I'm prepared to take, as bearings and tie rod ends are consumables and not warrantable,so I'll put up with a far superior drivablity to the old 15" skinny steel rims

Rick, you must have had rims with wrong offset (ET), or maybe the car is lowered..?

The FD i30 is approved with 7x17" rims with 225/45 R17. (ET for these rims not mentioned on the site I found this info.)

I think the UK FD i30 Premium had this size fitted as standard, Alan should be able to confirm.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Pretty sure the FD SR and Sportswagon came standard with 225/45 R17 tyres, Rick....

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My FD Premium came as standard with 225 45 17 tyres. It had a spacer fitted to the steering rack to limit the angle the wheels could be turned - hence a larger turning circle.

The ride was so hard and tyre noise so great I was determined never to have 17" rims again and was pleased to see the GD Style came with 16" rims.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal