i30 Owners Club

Engine warning light

Offline Rayofhope.

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Suffolk
Has anyone else had problems with the engine warning light remaining lit. My 2009 1.4 petrol i30 has had this problem for a couple of years. My independent garage (not Hyundai) resets the computer thingy and it stops it for a couple of days and then comes on again. Recently I have also had problems starting the car when it is still warm and although the engine eventually starts  the rev counter stops working and the ESP turns itself off. I then have to turn off the engine and restart it. Does anyone have any ideas or should I bite the bullet and take it to a Hyundai dealer and be prepared to pay lots of money for a repair. I used to own a Saab 95 and still think the i30 is better it's a  great little car.
  • i30 2009

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Has your indy garage ever disclosed the DTC (error codes) to you?

They usually point to the cause of the EML lighting up.

Welcome to the club :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rayofhope.

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Suffolk
Thanks for replying Shambles My indy garage says they don't have the codes for my car due to dealing in so many models and makes. It looks as if I will have to visit the Hyundai dealer. They're pretty good as in the past they did replace a broken door cable free of charge despite being out of warranty and did manage to source a cheaper version of a snapped ignition key.
  • i30 2009

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The codes issued by an ECU are just that - text codes. All OBDII readers should be able to extract them.

I use a £5 bluetooth dongle to get the codes from my cars; armed with an Android app (Torque Pro) I can see the codes then look them up to get the meaning.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If you can provide the codes, we should be able to tell you what type of problem your car is experiencing.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline guitarized

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Toulouse
The codes issued by an ECU are just that - text codes. All OBDII readers should be able to extract them.

I use a £5 bluetooth dongle to get the codes from my cars; armed with an Android app (Torque Pro) I can see the codes then look them up to get the meaning.

Hey Shambles could you please tell us which dongle you buy ? I want to purchase one and since you are a vet talking about i30 I'd like to know what was your choice if you don't mind
  • Hyundai i30 2007 Diesel 115cv

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I bought all mine (I've had 3) from eBay. Just search ELM327 2.1 :)

:link: Neuf Mini ELM327 V2 1 Obdii OBD2 Bluetooth Diagnostic Voiture Scanner Auto Scan | eBay

Offline guitarized

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Toulouse
I bought all mine (I've had 3) from eBay. Just search ELM327 2.1 :)

:link: Neuf Mini ELM327 V2 1 Obdii OBD2 Bluetooth Diagnostic Voiture Scanner Auto Scan | eBay

Ok great thank you I didn't want to go off thread but since you mentionned it...and I prefer to buy something that a reliable person (you  ;) ) had tested before
  • Hyundai i30 2007 Diesel 115cv

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal