i30 Owners Club

Transmission problems i30 Station Wagon 2011

Offline abateman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
We have an i30 Station Wagon 2011 and have had clunking noises near the left wheel for the last 6 months and a loud whirring noises on acceleration.  We took the car to 2 different mechanics,one in May and August 2016 who were not able to find anything.  Went to a third yesterday and they have said there is a lot of movement in the left hand drive shaft and suspect internal failure of the differential.  We were told we need a new gear box which could range from $5000 - $6000! The warranty on the car expired on the 30th September 2016, however we have only done 77,000km.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Can anyone suggest a way forward?  We think we should try and make a claim against the warranty...just doesn't seem right.
  • Hyundai i30 Station Wagon 2011

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sorry to hear that you have this problem.
A couple of comments:
1. Its almost 2017 and you have been to independent mechanics. I would suggest that your 5 year warranty is no longer valid.
2. Take note of these past mechanics and avoid.
3. On the brighter side, the gearbox in the i30 rarely gives trouble. What you describe is probably a faulty left CV joint / drive shaft.

If it is the CV, that would give you play in that shaft. A wrecker will have one or get a new from supplier other than Hyundai , would be from memory, under $200.

Similarly, if it is the gearbox, find a low kms one at the wreckers...say $500 max.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: As Gary says, sorry to hear that.

His solutions sound promising (he has had a lot of experience with Hyundai repairs)

Some of our other friendly, mechanically knowledgeable members will hopefully chime in soon with more support.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If you have made your complaint and had the car inspected (at a Hyundai dealer, of course) before the warranty expired, then it's still covered by warranty even if they can't find the culprit before warranty expire.

If you have taken the car to an independent repairer then you can't blame Hyundai.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal