i30 Owners Club

Daylight Running Lights - do I have them ?!

Offline James Bond

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Mids
Recently purchased an i30. One of the LED strip lights wasnt illuminating so I got it fixed as still under 3 month warranty. However, me and the garage are unsure if these are actually DRLs or just side lights., as they come on when I turn the lever to sidelights / dip but dont come on otherwise. The manual is useless as its for many different specs (as always these days ! ), although it says if DRLs they should come on if the light switch is set to off, and the car is started.

Appreciate any help , as the garage have gone quiet on me .

My i30 is a 67 plate S 1.0 T-GDi 120PS 5d
  • HYUNDAI i30 1.0 S T-GDi 67 Plate

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Came across this so your car should have them by law.

When was the mot done.

Daytime running lights have been around for decades, but have only been a legal requirement for new cars launched in Europe and the UK since February 2011.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
As daytime running lights are mandatory for your age of car then I would expect to see 'em light up, one on each side, with the engine running and lights off. I have the earlier GD variant, the DRL come on and stay on if you put the sidelights on. They only turn off if you turn the headlights on. On my car the LED strip is around the fog light, so it's some way from the headlight and I can see the sidelights come on. On cars where the DRL are closer to the headlight the brightness of the DRL might make it harder to notice the puny sidelight coming on.
  • i30 CRD

Offline James Bond

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Mids
Thank you guys, I have checked and your right , here in the UK they are mandatory on new builds since 2011, and MOTs now test on vehicles 2018 onwards (which mine isnt).  I shouldve attached a photo (please see now attached).  So either the garage dont know this, or theyre banking on me not going back to them.  If they dont, then you do wonder how much they know about the cars theyre selling.   So I will go back to them today . 

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Post how you get on at the garage.

If they refuse to fix then invoke sale of goods, not fit for purpose.

Plus you could be stopped by plod and fined etc.

Offline James Bond

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Mids
I spoke to the Service department at a Hyundai dealership in Warwickshire, who didnt think the i30s had DRL until 2018 .  So why does the government website say all new models from 2011 have to have them?.  Im getting more confused the more I google, as you think it would be easy to either get the full spec having entered my reg number and showing if they have them or not,  or a Hyundai dealership would know.

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
..easy to either get the full spec having entered my reg number and showing if they have them or not.
That may be an idea. Enter your VIN number into http://partsouq.com  and see what that shows for front lights for your specific car.

I have a UK 2019 i30 brochure, and that says DRL's fitted across all grades of i30 (PD). But can't look back to 2017.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My 2012 has them fitted.

Offline James Bond

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Mids
Thanks, I did this , and even though I was blinded by all the diagrams, I have found one that mentions DRL's  (see pic attached).

If my i30 has side lights and not DRL's, then would they still actually be an LED strip ?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 21:16:43 by James Bond »

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
From your photo, I am assuming you have an early PD shape i30 S.

Do you have an Owners Manual?
If Owners Manual is same as mine, it will describe about 3 different variations of front lights. For daytime running lamps (DRL) there is a caveat of "where fitted".

If your LED strips are not lit when engine running and lights switched off, but lit when lights switched to side (aka position) lights, then they are acting as side lights.

Maybe a photo of front corner of your car showing headlamp assembly as well as the DRL will help see the full array of the front lights.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
On a 67 plate UK car they should be DRL's and switch on with the ignition on and no headlights then switch off with the headlights on unless someone has rewired them.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Think they also switch off when handbrake applied.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Post how you get on at the garage.

If they refuse to fix then invoke sale of goods, not fit for purpose.

Plus you could be stopped by plod and fined etc.
Have the selling garage replied to you yet

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Selling garage should not sell a car with a defective light (MOT failure), regardless of it being a side light or DRL.
You need to pursue the fault with them.
As eye30 says, please report back after.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal