i30 Owners Club

Auto transmission jerking

Offline DAZZA I30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi all, i own a 2020 i30 PD 2.0L. Every now & then the transmission jerks when putting it into drive or reverse. Only happen's intermittently. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue & what were your findings. Any input would be appreciated.
  • 2020 Hyundai i30 PD 2.0 White

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi all, i own a 2020 i30 PD 2.0L. Every now & then the transmission jerks when putting it into drive or reverse. Only happen's intermittently. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue & what were your findings. Any input would be appreciated.

I have a 2018 PD SR (1.6L, turbo) and I don't recall experiencing anything worrying like that during normal operation.  If I slam the shifter into say Reverse, I will feel a "jump" which I consider normal.   How would you describe your "transmission jerk"?  For example, "Hmm, that's a bit different" or, "Bloody Hell!"?
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline DAZZA I30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi TerryT,  i would describe it (in your words) as "that's a bit different". I would not call it something major but, i wouldn't consider it normal operation either. It only does it every now and then and i know if i take it to the dealership (as it is still under new car warranty) they will just tell me that they cant fault it. I will just have to wait until it evolves i guess.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi TerryT,  i would describe it (in your words) as "that's a bit different". I would not call it something major but, i wouldn't consider it normal operation either. It only does it every now and then and i know if i take it to the dealership (as it is still under new car warranty) they will just tell me that they cant fault it. I will just have to wait until it evolves i guess.

Ok, thanks for the additional info. I should have also asked, to the best of your recollection, does this occasional problem occur under the same set of conditions (e.g. only when the transmission is say, cold, or warm, or hot) or is it random?

Offline DAZZA I30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi TerryT, Good question & now that you have asked, it always happens when the transmission is cold or not long after the car has been running.

Offline DAZZA I30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
TerryT, As the car has only 58000 klms do you think the tranny may still be just running in maybe ?

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
TerryT, As the car has only 58000 klms do you think the tranny may still be just running in maybe ?

[I'm not a mechanic].  IMO, any auto transmission should be well and truly run-in/bedded before 58000 km(!) of normal driving, especially in modern cars with their advanced materials and lubricants.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi TerryT, Good question & now that you have asked, it always happens when the transmission is cold or not long after the car has been running.

Ok, thanks for that info.  Unfortunately, nothing comes to my mind that would help you, but it may assist some of the forum's technical members suggest some causes.

My guess is that at present, with the symptoms you describe, it is not anything serious.     

BTW, I thought more about my comment above re slamming the shifter on my i30 PD SR.  For giggles, I tried 'slamming' the shifter a few times yesterday and I didn't get any jumps?  (Possibly, I was getting confused with my ex-2000 Toyota Corolla...an old tired out, abused, second car which I wasn't that gentle with).   

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal