i30 Owners Club

TPMS - cold weather warning

Guest · 7 · 2855

Offline fatboy_daveb

• 1st Gear
Hi all

I changed my tyres at Kwik-Fit last May for some Bridgestone REO-50s. The tyres have been great and the Kwik-Fit boys had done their job. The TPMS system continued to work until..... the cold weather set in. I check my pressures every two weeks due to high mileage. Well yesterday, I had a bit of a problem getting the metal dustcap off. Time for a pair of pliars....doh, the whole bloody valves has came out and the tyre deflates in two seconds (flat  :rolleyes:). Oh well, time to go to Kwik Fit again, and and get a new valve. Problem was that the TPMS kit is completely stuck in the dustcap/valve. I asked them if they could get the other dustcaps off. A few gentle tries later and, WHOOSH, the other valve came out. I'd had enough and just told them to get the rest off. All the valves were stuck solid in the metal dustcap. So now I am without the TPMS system working and the TPMS light permanently on. Now I suppose I could get some new sensors from the dealer (at no doubt a pretty penny) or just leave it. The system is separate and does not register any error codes. And as TPMS systems are usually only ever on cars with run-flats....then why should I bother about it?

Anyway, just be careful the same does happen to you.......obviously this is a message for UK owners!

Cheers
Dave

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Take it back and claim under warranty.

Presume that KF noted this on an invoice? if not get them to do one for you.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm with eye30 - take yourself back. I didn't know the TPMS was fitted in the tyre valve; I check mine every 2 weeks too and have no problems getting the caps off, even in the cold. Then again, I haven't changed the tyres
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rattly

• 1st Gear
I had exactly the same thing it was replaced under warranty

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've got nitrogen in my tyres,I've checked the pressures in them monthly for the last 9 months and the pressures are still spot on. :mrgreen:              is anyone else using nitrogen in thier tyres.?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've got nitrogen in my tyres,I've checked the pressures in them monthly for the last 9 months and the pressures are still spot on. :mrgreen:              is anyone else using nitrogen in thier tyres.?

I take it your car hasn't got used to taking the "bends" yet   :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal