Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello,

Last day I noticed something that made me sad  :rolleyes:

I've noticed, that my i30 has scratches - don't know how to call it, but the scratches, made by chips(?) on the road (I used google translator, that's why I don't know if they are called chips) seem to me quite a problem, as they've damaged the color of the car already to that point, that it's just a matter of time till it starts to rust.. I'll have to take my car to the dealer or someone, who will fix the problem - paint the holes-scratches as soon as possible.. Oh, and the car is only 6 months old..

Here are few pics of the problem.. Hope you guys can see what I'm talking about.. These scratches are on both sides, they are on the rear doors and behind the rear doors (the space between the two orange lines on the pic).

Do you have such problems? I think that the main reason for my problem is, that in winter, roads are "covered" in salt and "sand" (so the roads are not icy..they probably do the same in many countries)

The roads in winter, early spring and late autumn look like this (but on this pic, only the half of road is covered with this sh**  :) )  -> sometimes it's almost like if you were driving on macadam

What can I do? Buy mud guards for the autumn&winter&early spring?  :rolleyes: I was looking for them here, but it seems to be a problem to get the original ones..our central Hyundai dealer really sucks..I don't know..

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yes get it seen to as soon as possible.

To me, that looks like salt or sand that has stuck to your CW and stuck for so long it has "eaten away" at the paintwork.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Whe I first looked at it it looked as if something had brushed against the paint or the seat belt got caught in the door.

Even so it should not be like that after such a short time.

It may be covered under the paint protection warranty.

Check with your dealer ASAP.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I first thought that too, eye30, but he said the marks are on both sides in the same places, so I figured that grit had got wedged in those gaps and corroded the top layer.

Seems strange he's got the marks between the doors at the bottom too
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
It's really strange.. I know it looks a bit like I've brushed or something brushed the paint off, but I really didn't. In live you can actually see the little "holes", which were "produced" by the litlle pieces (chips) from the road.. Or as Shambles said from salt. In winter, I wash my car once a week, just because of the salt..

I'll talk to my local dealer. Thanks  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to see that accim.. think you will definately need to get some form of  mudflaps as soon as possible... :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline matjazek

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia
Mine is also start rusting...like 15 years old #$&#$/$%
It is 1,5 year old and it start rusting on several locations. At the beginning dealer persuade me that something hit into paint, but now it is rust everywhere.
Unbelivable...my old accent was demolished on several places, but the metal stay "silver".

Obviously i30 has some problems with cheap painting.

Btw. Mine is white.

PS. Accim, js bi na tvojem mestu šel reklamirat.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It is 1,5 year old and it start rusting on several locations. At the beginning dealer persuade me that something hit into paint, but now it is rust everywhere.
Unbelivable...my old accent was demolished on several places, but the metal stay "silver".

Obviously i30 has some problems with cheap painting.

Btw. Mine is white.

PS. Accim, js bi na tvojem mestu šel reklamirat.

Sorry to hear that .. so far it appears to be a european issue for some reason (the new factory?)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
We (matjazek & I) are from the same country, maybe in winter there is too much of salt on our roads. But nevertheless, 1.5 year old car shouldn't rust. That means I'll face the same thing soon. On Monday I'm going to my dealer. Dammit  :evil:

What's the solution for this problem? That they paint the car on those "problematical" parts?? For how long will that last?? I'm quite disappointed..  :evil: :rolleyes:

Oh and one more thing.. My i30 was built in Korea..not in Europe.. Hope you guys don't have / won't have similar problems..  :neutral:

And! As far as I know, the warranty doesn't cover this.. I can claim warranty only when the rust is so big, that it made holes in the plate..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

matjazek, do you know if yours is from Europe or Korea.. I think accim might have a different problem .. His isn't rusting "everywhere" I don't think..

Any chance of some photos of the problem areas please? 

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
do you drive on unsealed roads accim.? stones or gravel can cause that also. :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
2i30s: I drive on regular roads.. If I would drive on unsealed roads as you've mentioned it, I would understand.. The problem seems to be in i30's "design" -> The doors are "pushed in" too much, so when the little rocks from the road (rocks and salt) "fly around" (from the tire), they hit those marked and problematical parts.

I compared my i30's to my uncles Kia Ceed (which are very similar) and realized, that i30's back doors are designed in that way, that they allow rocks to hit the bodywork..

My i30:  

My uncles Kia Ceed, where you can see how the doors are curved out so they protect the bodywork from incoming stuff from the road (and which also have that transparent protecting film):

I would kindly ask you, if you could check if you have it the same way, or are your doors "fitted" on the car in different way.. THANKS!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi accim....that is an interesting comparison..

The protective film is a good idea but it appears to be on the door which doesn't seem to be showing signs of wear on your car rather than the door surround which is getting peppered. :question:

It is hard to tell from the pictures but I will check out a CW and a hatch side by side next time I get a chance to see if there is any difference in the back door skin shape.

TO ALL MEMBERS... HAS ANYONE ELSE WITH A HATCH OR WAGON GOT THIS SAME PATTERN OF WEAR?

Accim... if you can get them to fix it under warranty it might be worth sourcing a small amount of this transparent film just for those areas.. (I know you shouldn't really have to) :rolleyes:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yes Dazz, I'll get myself that film and try to fix it under warranty. If not, I'll pay it myself.. Even if you don't have that problem yet and the roads you drive on are not that good or there is a lot of rocks/salt on the road, you should also maybe consider getting the transparent film..  :wink: Better to act before than regret it later..just an advice..

Thanks for your replies..

The picture of Kia Ceed above doesn't show that film totally. This next picture is better..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi accim..

Glad you are keeping your chin up (guess the other option is some front mud guards.. (we call them mudflaps)  :cool:

We are lucky in Australia (even in Tassie the southernmost and coldest state) they don't need to salt the roads.... :razz:

When I heard many years ago about that practice in other places I didn't like the idea..... :'(

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
mudflaps make a car look like a rallycar. :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

mudflaps make a car look like a rallycar. :mad:

.. better than all that chipped paint (and if he could get nice slim line ones it wouldn't be so bad .. it is a "family" wagon after all  :P)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello,

Yes I'll try to get that film AND mudflaps  :wink: I'll try to find original (genuine) mudflaps for Hyundai i30.

This CW's on these two pics have front and back mudflaps..
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/i30cw_03.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hyundai_i30cw_001.jpg

I would just like to say that even though this happened, I would have still bought my i30 (knowing I'll have this issue)  8) I would probably have this problem with many cars regarding the fact that I kind of live in the Alps and there can be a lot of snow on the road. But even worse than snow is, that the roads tend to get very "icy", so it's expectable they will be "salted" a lot.

Well, I could get myself one of these bodykits..then it would really look rallysh  :mrgreen: (it doesn't look that bad at all - to me)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, I could get myself one of these bodykits..then it would really look rallysh  :mrgreen: (it doesn't look that bad at all - to me)

I like it too .. this kind of bodykit fits the crossover name and makes it look more robust....Interesting the last picture (back) is a hatch  :eek:

Pip
The areas that show pitting appear to have been "sand-blasted" by whatever is picked up from the road.  I fitted flaps front and rear from new in an attempt to avoid stone chips and mud splatter but I've noticed during washing that the rear door "c" pillar low-down, as discussed here, still picks up a coat of dirt.

So what I'm thinking is that even with flaps, whatever is picked up by the front tyres will still impact that area.

Applying a film protection would seem like a very good idea.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Looks like another i30 from our (Slovenian) Hyundai forum has similar problems. He checked it today and he said that sand and stuff from the road also started to scrape the color off.. And he has white i30 (hatch) - so that means it doesn't matter if it is metallic paint or normal or whether the i30 is hatch or CW.

I'm waiting for some pics of his i30 and problematical area.. Not good..not good at all. And you know what's the worst thing..? His i30 is even younger.. I think it's only just little bit over 3 months old.

If none of you have that problem, it can only mean 2 things:

1. cars for our market have poorer quality of coating
2. our roads have much more sand and salt on the road than in other countries..

We'll see..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry to hear that M8.

Hyundai might have to take a leaf out of their Kia cousins book and start putting that plastic firm on in that aea at the factory.. Think you will have a good case for getting something done under warranty if it is a common issue in your area - use the fact the ceed has protection as a further bargaining tool, tell them "if it's not on it's not just not on"  :wink:

My car is too dirt to tell at the moment but i will check that area thoroughly at the next wash. We don't usually have sand or salt on our roads in Tasmania..thankfully  8)

Offline Merlot

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley
Hi Guys
I live on a dirt road and same thing the dynamic shape of the car makes this the point for anything that comes off the front wheels a bit like a sand blasting effect I owned a Nissan pulsar hatch and it was the same clear tape might protect it a bit longer

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Sorry to update an old thread...

Sorry to see that Accim!..

Unfortunately the car is not made for these conditions we have here in Europe...
Immediately after the purchase, it it is very important to preserve the paintwork and have extra rust protection on the car...
If you not do these things as soon as possible, you will sooner than you think, be driving around like "Flintstone" with holes everywhere on the car...

The 2008 model of i30 had 9 years guarantee in Sweden, but Hyundai changed it to only 3 year warranty from 2009 model.
It is telling a bit about how good (or bad) protection the car has...

Translated from Swedish to English by Google...
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
The marks on the paintwork gives the impression that it is getting scuffed while getting in and out of the car etc and whether or not this is the case it obviously needs sorting.

I would start by taking the car to a reputable bodywork shop and having a paint thickness check done, firstly concentrating around the areas of damage.

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia - Stone Black i30 SX CRDI Auto
2i30s: I drive on regular roads.. If I would drive on unsealed roads as you've mentioned it, I would understand.. The problem seems to be in i30's "design" -> The doors are "pushed in" too much, so when the little rocks from the road (rocks and salt) "fly around" (from the tire), they hit those marked and problematical parts.

I compared my i30's to my uncles Kia Ceed (which are very similar) and realized, that i30's back doors are designed in that way, that they allow rocks to hit the bodywork..

My i30:  

My uncles Kia Ceed, where you can see how the doors are curved out so they protect the bodywork from incoming stuff from the road (and which also have that transparent protecting film):

I would kindly ask you, if you could check if you have it the same way, or are your doors "fitted" on the car in different way.. THANKS!
[/quote

If I am reading these pictures right - it is a photo of the L/H/R door and sill panel/dog leg area of your i30 and then in the second photo - your uncles Kia.

In your first photo, I can not see any chips on your door, but can see many chips on the sill panel.

On your uncles car, it has stick-on plastic protectors fitted to the door to protect the paint in these areas.

I do not believe that you would be getting stone chips on that sill panel only, and not having any on these stones actually making contact and chipping the door panel.

I would suspect this to be more like the case..............

The L/H/R door is being used very regularly and when the passenger/s dis-embark from the car, the door is opened ( obviously, and hence why there is no chips on the door), the seat belt is removed and flicked off over the shoulder and when this happens the buckle of the belt is dropping down onto the sill panel before it has had time to retract and is causing the chips. This is not un-common, and should in no way be considered a paint defect or any kind of warranty concern - it is nothing other than operator ( passenger neglect ) error.

If you don't want this to happen - fit those plastic protectors ( like your uncle has on his car ), and educate your passengers to have more respect/take more care with your property.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think it's pecular to (some?) CW's. There has been at least one reports of it in the Cech forum too. It's possible it's caused by occupants, but I doubt it.

I think the sill edge is set just outboard of the trailing edge of the door. The dirt is blowing along the door in a resonably smooth airflow, but then hitting the sill at an oblique angle, causing the damage.

While the clear protections isn't covering the same impact area on the ceed, I suspect the panel shape is subtly different. The clear panel could be just lifting the dirt away from that exposed edge.

The hatchback doesn't suffer the same because the rear doors are different between the two types.

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia - Stone Black i30 SX CRDI Auto
It's possible it's caused by occupants, but I doubt it.

I am certain it is the occupants - no doubt about it !

I have had people complaining about it - only to watch their children get out of the car and drop the un-retracted seat belt buckle - and where does that buckle hit - right on that sill panel edge where it chips the paint.

This is evident on many different brands of car.

The look on the customers face when you show them their child doing this while they are moaning & groaning about this "paint defect" = PRICELESS !!!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Actually if you look carefully at the pics of the clear protector, it's on the door and there is a piece on the sill. It's hard to see in the pic with the red lines drawn over it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal