i30 Owners Club

USB drive freezes

Sharky · 34 · 9979

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
Ok I'm new here so can be that issue has been discussed (didn't find it after some searching).

Anyway, I've got some problems with the USB input. I have a usb drive sitting in there all the time, but it doesn't seem to work properly (never has far as I know but kinda lived with it). I can play songs perfectly but once and a while when I skip a song or when it's just playing the song stops. I can then keep skipping songs with the titles showing up but the playback time freezes and doesn't start playing again till I remove the stick and put it back. I've tried different memory-sticks and keeps having the same issue. Also the problem occurs more often when it's colder inside the car then when it's hot. So much that when it's really cold it doesn't work at all, and when it's hot enough I can't reproduce the problem.

Any ideas,simular stories or solutions to this problem?

Thanks!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Sharky.

When I took delivery of Fergie and first read the owners manual it specifically said to make sure the USB stick was not in the port when the engine was started, otherwise I would have problems. I've totally ignored that advice and never had a problem. Fingers crossed.

Now I'm wondering if in fact you are suffering from this, as you also say you don't usually remove the drive. That wouldn't explain the different behaviour in cold/warm temperatures tho.

And welcome by the way. The Netherlands isn't it? :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
Nope, Belgium.
I have indeed also seen the recomendation in the manual to always remove it before starting the car, but that doesn't really influences it.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
What is the drive format as (FAT32 etc) and what are the bit rates of the files?

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
Just standard Sandisk Cruzer Micro Skin (think FAT32) with different bitrates.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
What size is the usb key?  There is a physical limit (I think!) to how much data the head unit can store in memory.
And... have you tried playing off another key??  It is possible this one is damaged / corrupted in some way.
Test it with another device just to make sure it ISN'T the key's fault.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Blue he said he tried different sticks :rolleyes: :P

Sharky, what software version do you have in your head unit? I wonder if it's one that noone else has. See the thread in the Polls section.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2526.0.html

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I guess the temperature/fault correlation could indicate a faulty physical connector port.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good point Lorian

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
That's also what I thought but it seemed far fetched.  Guess i'll ask my dealer to check next time I'm around. Strange though 'cause you would expect simular problems with other owners.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Must be very frustrating sharky.. I use a 16gb thumbdrive and it has never frozen once touch wood... what do the service people say (sounds like a head unit issue to me)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Hey Blue he said he tried different sticks :rolleyes: :P

Oh yeah, well, that definitely won't be it then !!!

The sticks aren't U3 type sticks with other low level software on them by any chance???
If not... NFI.  (Clue: No F Idea).  The temperature thing certainly points to a bad/poor connection (dry joint) thing.

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
I checked my software:

A-200FDE
S/W: V1.02 EUR
EEPROM: FD200E52

I'll let you all know when I hear something from the servicing people.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I checked my software:

A-200FDE

Exactly the same as mine then, so almost certainly not a s/w problem.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i don't have an issue with my usb either thankfully.

i am curious if its that actual cold weather at play here, how cold is it there?
there is some general reference to usb's not working in very cold conditions to the point that some manufacturers have brought out 'extreme weather resistant' usb drives e.g PNY Attache series, so that may be worth looking at.

but i'm not sure if i'm on the wrong path here  :question:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
Well in fact it doesn't have to be that cold. In general I'm not able to use the USB in the morning when I drive to work. Then it doesn't even start up (the light on my usb-stick is flashing though). Then it's most of the time round 10° (or less in winter). But when it was a sunny day and I go back to my car after work it ussualy works fine. If it wasn't that sunny and its colder inside then it start acting strange by starting up and randomly freezing. As I said I tried different sticks with all the same problem so it would suprise me that this is the cause.

Offline Goldfish_8

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Toytown
I just had a quick look on Google and it would appear the majority of pen drives should work in the 0C-60/70C range, but there are some which won't work below 5C or so. But some of the Kingston Data Traveller range can operate down to -25c. So, as mentioned above, it could be a temperature issue, but with the actual functionallity of the flash memory in the pen drive as 0C and 60C would be the extremes in which it should function, but room temperature or above is probably when they function best.

I also found a post from an auto engineer on one website that said that if you leave one of these in a car that is subject to extreme cold you could actually erase the drives contents. :eek: Auto electronics are designed to function down to -40C, so consumer rated 0C to 70C devices may not function till the car has warmed up.

Mark

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
Then it's most of the time round 10° (or less in winter). But when it was a sunny day and I go back to my car after work it ussualy works fine.

was that celsius or fahrenheit?
if that is fahrenheit then that is probably too cold, but its not very cold for celsius

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
I did the test this morning: I took the usb drive inside overnight and plugged it in at room temperature with no succes. So can take that one also from the list. I'll call service tonight with the problem.

Offline idertig

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Another Belgian i30 here. I use an 8GB stick that's constantly plugged in. Various bitrates, mp3 and wma.

No problems whatsoever this far. I guess it must be a faulty part...

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Only had my i30 a week. I have now tried a USB stick with all mp3 files on the root of the drive. Mine plays okay if I just let it play, but if I skip more than 2 tracks it then freezes. Again the titles are displayed, but no track will play until I unplug and replug it in. I have also tried 2 different sticks, but same result  :'(

Forgot to check the firmware on the unit.

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
Aha, Exactly the same problem! I also have it most of the times when I switch tracks rapidly. But occassionaly it does it random in the middle of a song. Do you also have the problem more when its cold?

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Do you also have the problem more when its cold?

The temp when I tried it was about 18C, so not cold at all.

My mp3 tracks have been recorded at lots of different quality levels, so are quite random on the usb drive. Not sure if that makes any difference. I will wipe my drive and reformat it, then only choose one quality level of tracks to put on it and see if that works any better.

All good stuff as they say  :lol:

I may be one of the only people these days who doesn't own an ipod, so cannot check if that works.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^-- what's an "ipod" ?

:P

Of course there's always the chance that there is a substandard or incorrectly rated suppressor somewhere in the audio system/USB feed. I'd let the dealer know, nomatter how incovenient it might be to go visit them

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I only have an ipod shuffle and that doesn't work, so it's an Asda cheapo stick in my USB port which is never unplugged and has never given any problem :cool:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
^-- what's an "ipod" ?

Not sure  :lol:  but everybody are always talking about them  :D

Think I herd they are some sort of apple, so not sure how it would play music files  :wink:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

I may be one of the only people these days who doesn't own an ipod, so cannot check if that works.

hahaha i don't own one either!
however i do have the ipod cable thing for the i30  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My Brother gave me a fairly second hand previous model Iphone because he is updating.. I hate the proprietry software.. :rolleyes: I just want to drop and drag the files like you can with a memory stick all this sincronizing and stuff is just cr*p ...It works with the ipod dock on my surround system but not sure about using it in the i30 (havent got the right cable)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ncra

• 1st Gear

• lu Luxembourg
      Luxembourg
Hi guys,

I'm from Luxembourg. It seems that I am the only one here.

I have similar problems with the usb flash drives.

The radio can't read he only show the message "reading usb" 

I tried 11 different brand ans kinds (pny, kingston, emtec, generic, samsung, sony) I already have the same problem. I tries with 2 gb, 4,8 and 16 gb formated on fat 16, 32 an NTFS (ntfs only for trying) It seems really to be a problem of combinisation from temperature and usb flashdives. But it seems to be an problem ob the usb or the firmware from the radsio. I tried the same thing @sharky, it didn't solve the prob. My brother as gived me his I-pod nano and the temperatur didn't influance the fonctionallity. It really works fine. I asked for help on my dealer, but they didn't know. Only statement: We checked withe the I-Pod and all is working fine. They check only with I-pod not with flash drives *damed* I wrote a mail too korean Hyundai and they check me back to my local dealer. I'm very happy with my I-30 but this point will be an negative.

(sorry for my poor english)

Firmware:
A-200FDE

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I only have an ipod shuffle and that doesn't work,

It doesn't charge or some other issue?