i30 Owners Club

Boot Leak

Offline highandnotdry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Portsmouth
I have owned a new I30 1.4 petrol Comfort for almost a month and when showing it off to a friend this weekend I was pointing out the full size spare alloy wheel. He pointed out the inch deep pool of of clean water under the spare wheel. On bailing it out (about 4 to 5 pints) we couldn't see where the leak was coming from as the carpetting in the boot all seemed dry except for some water on the boot floor just behind the back left hand seat. I guess there is more water I can't see under the plastic fittings in the boot as the elastic straps in one of the compartments in the boot are wet as well.

It also explains why the car seemed to mist up all the time and I was driving with the front windscreen demister and the windows open just to get a clear view. We have just had the wettest November on record over in the UK but I'm not happy to see this on a car under 1 month old so it's back to the dealer. I was really happy with the car so far so I'm hoping it is a one off niggle. 

Has anyone else had a leak like this ? Also will all this water swilling round inside the back of the car cause any long term damage ?

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My girlfriend left the cap off a 5L bottle of engine oil which had 2L left, and it went all the way through her boot. To this day (after 6 months) and after trying to get it out, it always fogs up the windows with a gross, oily mist every week or two. It's going to get back when it evaporates in the car during summer here in Aust!

I don't think it's too bad that there's water in there, I'd definitely get it out as soon as possible though. Good thing you noticed!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome to the club, highandnotdry. I can see why you chose that moniker :)

The difficult thing at this time is knowing when the water ingress occurred... could it have been there when you collected your i30?

The thing to do I guess, now you've dried the boot/tyrewell out, is to wait and see if it returns. You shouldn't have to wait that long knowing our UK weather :rolleyes:

In the meantime check the seals around the rear nearside door, and enjoy the rest of the forum :)

Good luck mate.

(PS, whereabouts in the UK are you?)

Aah.. Portsmouth :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome highandnotdry fortunately not a common issue for the i30 (had perhaps a couple of instances mentioned) Hope it's easy to find and fix..

When the source has been found and fixed I would strip out all the matting you can and leave the car open for a whole day (if you ever get a warm and windy one over there)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome highandnotdry

Have a look at this thread this was posted last December:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1840.msg19162.html#msg19162
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline highandnotdry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Portsmouth
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the help/suggestions so far. I have looked in the boot on occasions since I've had the car and didn't notice any water until my friend pointed out this weekend. However I guess it is possible that it was there when I got it as the water was completely clean and not obvious even when it was an inch deep. 

I have booked the car in to the dealers on Thursday so will update with what they find. It has been yet another rainy day in Portsmouth but no new water has appeared in the boot when I checked tonight. 

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... but no new water has appeared in the boot when I checked tonight. 

Fingers crossed it stays that way :)

Would be nice to know how it got there though... doubt your dealer will know (or admit to knowing)

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Have you got a sunroof? Perhaps its running down the inside of the roof.

Offline highandnotdry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Portsmouth
No sunroof on my i30 (went for the basic model on the scrappage deal). Hope to find out where the leak is tomorrow when the dealer has finished with it. Apparently it will take them all day so I'm intrigued to know what they will be doing with it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No sunroof on my i30 (went for the basic model on the scrappage deal). Hope to find out where the leak is tomorrow when the dealer has finished with it. Apparently it will take them all day so I'm intrigued to know what they will be doing with it.

From my experience that often means they just have a full workshop and will gravitate backwards and forwards to your car between others... That's how it works over here...

Imagine they will just inspect all the seals and make sure there are no grommets missing and then squirt one section at a time with a hose and see if the problem re-occurs...

Offline highandnotdry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Portsmouth
In the end the service department found it was coming through the rear light unit on the left side which hadn't fitted the rubber seals correctly. They fixed it and dried out the boot but I guess I'll keep an eye on it anyway as 5 pints seems a lot of water to get in that way in one month.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... 5 pints seems a lot ...

Yeah if only I was younger :lol:

Glad it's getting sorted :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In the end the service department found it was coming through the rear light unit on the left side which hadn't fitted the rubber seals correctly. They fixed it and dried out the boot but I guess I'll keep an eye on it anyway as 5 pints seems a lot of water to get in that way in one month.

Glad they found the problem... some people in our drought affected areas would love to have 5 pints of clean water in their boot... :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal