Window screen scratches

eye30 · 10 · 4021

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Today I noticed fine scratches in the glass on the front windowscreen.  The only reason I noticed was due to a low sun.

They have only appeared recently and I'm guessing that this is due to the grit etc put on our roads during the recent snow period being thrown up by vehicles in front.

It looks as if small bits of grit etc have dried on the screen and when I've done a swipe with the wipers any small bits have been drawn across the glass by the rubber blade.

Now this can not be unique to UK as in warmer climates dirt etc must be on the screen.

As I don't wish to replace the front screen, so does anyone have any suggestions as to how these scratches can be removed or masked?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Jewellers Rouge (Cerium Oxide) but you'll have to do the whole windscreen as the "fixed" parts will look shinier than the older non-scratched parts.

Plenty on eBay
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
My old car had them bad (it was old). I just lived with them. I think cleaning the blades frequently helped to keep the scoring to a minimum.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Jewellers Rouge (Cerium Oxide) but you'll have to do the whole windscreen as the "fixed" parts will look shinier than the older non-scratched parts.

Plenty on eBay

Interesting. What is the process to apply it, presumably it's a regular type of polishing process? Could it be used on a polishing pad with a dremel for example?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... What is the process to apply it, presumably it's a regular type of polishing process? Could it be used on a polishing pad with a dremel for example?

I'd use a polishing drill.

A quick google for a "how to" brings up things like http://www.watchpolishing.com/polishingglass.htm

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
good idea steve,thats all a windscreen company would do,polish it.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

... What is the process to apply it, presumably it's a regular type of polishing process? Could it be used on a polishing pad with a dremel for example?

I'd use a polishing drill.

A quick google for a "how to" brings up things like http://www.watchpolishing.com/polishingglass.htm

Reading up on screen issues and checking the above, there is a national window screen repair shop not far from where I work.

So I think I'll just call in and see what they say..

If they class it as a repair, which is free under my insurance policy, then I'll let them polish the scratches out. 

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :idea: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

UPDATE - if anyone is interested!!!

Today I called into a national widowscreen replacement firm.

The chap looked and agreed the scratch was into the glass but said they do not polish out any more as the polishing weakens the glass and given the place may/can distort the view which may contribute to an accident.
Apparently there have been a number of legal cases and so they will not polish to prevent any such claims against them.

As it wasn't in my direct view, as on the passenger side, it shouldn't fail on the MOT.

He did say I could replaced the screen if I wished, £60 excess, as he spotted a few chips, again not in drivers direct view, and suggested I wait until nearer the MOT date and he will check it over again.

He also said there are 2 types of screen available for the i30 (I think he said both are made by the same company) - Hyundai sourced and generic sourced.

If I want Hy sourced this would take an extra week as they will need to order direct rather than "off the shelf".

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I noticed the orginal manufacturer's name is printed in the glass, in one of the corners, wasn't anyone I'd heared of though.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal