i30 Owners Club

i30 handbrake dragging

2beer · 7 · 3790

Offline 2beer

• 1st Gear
Patient: 2013 i30 1.6crdi. Model where handbrake actuates main piston and pads. Issue is that right rear wheel brake is dragging and heating the disc. Removed brake pads and lubed the slides so that pads are free to move in bracket. Handbrake wire seems to move quite freely. I backed the piston 180 degrees. But when I engage the brake, handbrake and release it brake is dragging again. So I think the handbrake mechanism is stuck. Anyone opened these and is it common issue?   
  • Hyundai i30 -13 1.6CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
"I think the handbrake mechanism is stuck."

yep, thats what you need to clean and lube (on the caliper)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline 2beer

• 1st Gear
Ok, anyone opened it? I'm not familiar how it works. Do you need to take the piston out? Or can that shaft where the lever is attached just be unscrewed and lubed?
  • Hyundai i30 -13 1.6CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate , without details of your location,  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Im having to guess that you are in the UK.
 It is caused by road salt.

Common sense approach: Only one caliper is faulty>remove both back wheels> compare the action of both calipers> replicate action of good one.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mate , without details of your location,  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Im having to guess that you are in the UK.
 It is caused by road salt.

Common sense approach: Only one caliper is faulty>remove both back wheels> compare the action of both calipers> replicate action of good one.

I believe that 2beer may be in Finland, but assumption and advice still look good to me (thanks Gary)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sunstealth

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Quebec
I am in canada and having the same issue with my driver side handbrake (passenger side for right hand drive vehicules) no matter what ive done, it seems the mecanism is gripped. there is no rebuild kit for those calipers either, need a new 500$ caliper !
  • i30 GD (elantra GT)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Having lived in Canada, I know you have wreckers.

If parts are needed, buy from Korea.

Or just strip, clean and lube

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal