i30 Owners Club

New Owner - Advise needed for some issues found

Offline Martellozzo

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Co. Dublin
Hello guys, good afternoon!

This is My first post, I am a new I-30 owner (actually my first car after almost 40 years :) ).

I am looking for some advice on regards to some issues I have found on my 2010 CRDI 5 Door Hatchback, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Silver.

I have bought this car from a Dealer here in Ireland and unfortunately after 1 week on the road I have found some "non covered by warranty" issues like:

- left dipped light is faulty - need advice on how to DIY chance the bulb and what type of bulb is that - or where can I check if the problem is a fuse.

- Right break light sometimes does not turn on - When stepping on the breaks, sometimes ir does not turn on the right side - what could it be?

- Screen washer is faulty - the water burat does not reach the mid windshield - already tried to clean the water exit with a nail but no help at all and I didnt find any video related to help on my car´s model.

- Sometimes there´s a bad smell coming from the engine (its rare but happens)

I am really looking for some adive before taking my car to a good garage / dealer (definitely not the guy who sold the car to me).

I was looking first to try some DIY as I have spent all my money on the car / insurance so any help will be appreciated.

And last not least, I would like to have a help on regards to the oil related to my car. Is pure Synthetic a good choice?

I will create a new post after to get advice on how to keep my car away from mechanics...lol

Thanks guys, hope anyone can help me with that!
  • 2010 CRDI 5 Door Hatchback, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good Morning and welcome. 

It is still early and I had a lousy sleep. I also have a busy day lined up.  After I've woken up some more and done my chores I will be back with some advice. Although it's more likely to be later this evening Australian time. I'm sure others will offer their welcomes and advice as they come online.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Welcome to the forum. I can contribute on the point of oil. I use only fully synthetic. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Martellozzo

• 1st Gear

Co. Dublin
Welcome to the forum. I can contribute on the point of oil. I use only fully synthetic. :victory:
Thank you for your answer! Just lemme know what is the correct type of oil are you using.
When searching online, I could not find it specifically, the specifications are a bit confusing to me...lol
Thank you!

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I am not familiar with the term dipped light. Do you mean the actual low beam, which is goes on when the light switch is in the second position, or the Park light (as we call them here) which is on when light switch is in first and second position.

Changing light bulbs is a pain in the butt, when compared to many other cars. You need to have the hands and fingers of a gyneagologist to reach the bulbs. Rest of us has to take the whole front light out to reach the bulbs. It is held with 3x10mm bolts. Two on top, one close the radiator.

Brake light bulb probably has a bad connection. Taking it out and putting it back in usually fixes it. Maybe cleaning the contacts points if they are oxidized. Bad wire/wire connection is also possible.

Does the bad smell come from the engine, or the exhaust pipe. Do you have DPF? Could it be caused by DPF burn?

Synthetic engine oil will work. Classidication of the oil depends if you have DPF or not. C3 oil will work in both cases. I personally use Mobil 1 5w-30 esp C3 oil. Many other brands like have also good oils. Depends what your local stores sell. I would go with 5w-30 C3. Will work with or without DPF and is suitable for your climate.

And welcome to the forum.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Here's a youtube video on replacing the headlight bulb.

:link: Replace lightbulb on Hyundai i30 (Quick instruction) - YouTube

For engine oil, I've always used Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W/30. I always try to buy it when it's on offer. I don't know how prices generally compare in Ireland, but I wouldn't pay for than about £22 for 5 litre can. The handbook states that the capacity is 5.6 litre, but I always find 5 litre is enough.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Martellozzo

• 1st Gear

Co. Dublin
I am not familiar with the term dipped light. Do you mean the actual low beam, which is goes on when the light switch is in the second position, or the Park light (as we call them here) which is on when light switch is in first and second position.

Changing light bulbs is a pain in the butt, when compared to many other cars. You need to have the hands and fingers of a gyneagologist to reach the bulbs. Rest of us has to take the whole front light out to reach the bulbs. It is held with 3x10mm bolts. Two on top, one close the radiator.

Brake light bulb probably has a bad connection. Taking it out and putting it back in usually fixes it. Maybe cleaning the contacts points if they are oxidized. Bad wire/wire connection is also possible.

Does the bad smell come from the engine, or the exhaust pipe. Do you have DPF? Could it be caused by DPF burn?

Synthetic engine oil will work. Classidication of the oil depends if you have DPF or not. C3 oil will work in both cases. I personally use Mobil 1 5w-30 esp C3 oil. Many other brands like have also good oils. Depends what your local stores sell. I would go with 5w-30 C3. Will work with or without DPF and is suitable for your climate.

And welcome to the forum.
Thank you for your answer! I have just contacted the dealer and he informed will take a look on the washer and the light (but didn´t mention anything about charging for it).
Seems indeed a pain in the a** to change the bulbs, I will leave it for a professional as I dont see it costs that expensive.
The dipped lights are the one in the second position, after the parking lights - "Dipped lights are the brightest lights your car has that won't dazzle other road users."

The bad smell come from the air vent.

In regards to the oil, I will note this for the next time I have to change the oil. Thank you!

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I believe you need h7 buld for the front light.

There are many cases where us diesel owners have had issues with fast buring low beam bulbs. The electric system of a diesel seems to stress the lights more, than in petrols. Some have even put surge protectors between the terminals of the battery. I use only long life bulbs. They are not as bright as normal, or extra bright bulbs. But they have been only ones to last for a decent time. I rather have a bad light than no light at all. There aren't many people who would change the i30 light bulb in the dark on the side of the road.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I also fitted some long-life bulbs and they have been much less of a problem. Definitely worth the extra cost. My partner doesn't worry about a headlamp bulb blowing, she either doesn't notice the difference or drives around on main beam!
  • i30 CRD

Offline ro0sau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Best advice I can offer after 47 years of automobile ownership is: find a decent private mechanical engineer whom you and others can rely on and recommend. They are gold  :phone1:

That is besides the awesome advice here at this forum - of course!

Sounds to me as if the poor i30 you purchased has maybe led a sad life up until now, one in an oceanside environment perhaps.

Can you hear a switch noise from the bulb[globe] area when you dip you headlights? if so a new globe will most likely fix, or as one poster mentions, clean contact may be an issue here also same as the rear. Seems unlikely the problem is worse if it only effects the left headlight  :whistler:

WD-40 make great products especially for lubricating tricky issues although I personally use CRC-20 for electrical connections as well as CRC- CO Contact cleaner <- both fantastic products. [and sadly no I get no monetary supplements for product endorsement]

Another tip, although costly, if I change a globe I tend to change all at the same time whilst spraying connections. that is stop/ tail-indicator so on. The rear brake light issue could also be the actual switch/sensor although i'm not familiar with FD series.

somebody stop me as i tend to prattle on too much once i get started...  :victory:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:59:51 by ro0sau »
  • 2015 gd i30 trophy auto diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Prattle on, Roo 😁👍
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Martellozzo

• 1st Gear

Co. Dublin
Best advice I can offer after 47 years of automobile ownership is: find a decent private mechanical engineer whom you and others can rely on and recommend. They are gold  :phone1:

That is besides the awesome advice here at this forum - of course!

Sounds to me as if the poor i30 you purchased has maybe led a sad life up until now, one in an oceanside environment perhaps.

Can you hear a switch noise from the bulb[globe] area when you dip you headlights? if so a new globe will most likely fix, or as one poster mentions, clean contact may be an issue here also same as the rear. Seems unlikely the problem is worse if it only effects the left headlight  :whistler:

WD-40 make great products especially for lubricating tricky issues although I personally use CRC-20 for electrical connections as well as CRC- CO Contact cleaner <- both fantastic products. [and sadly no I get no monetary supplements for product endorsement]

Another tip, although costly, if I change a globe I tend to change all at the same time whilst spraying connections. that is stop/ tail-indicator so on. The rear brake light issue could also be the actual switch/sensor although i'm not familiar with FD series.

somebody stop me as i tend to prattle on too much once i get started...  :victory:
Thank you so much for sharing a bit of your knowledge. I think I will have to definitely take the car to a 5 star mechanical. There are a few around (according to Google reviews). I think indeed to change all of the bulbs at once that will save time and money, then I will rest assured it will take a while to have them replaced again (maybe the next owner, who knows).

Thank you again! Much appreciated!   :goodjob2:

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Don't be afraid of changing your own bulbs, it's not that difficult once you know how. Carry around a spare bulb kit in your car and a few tools and you can have it done inside 15 minutes. Compare that to having to arrange to take it in to a garage, waiting around while they do it, and the inconvenience of not having your lights working in the mean time.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks everyone for helping this new owner. I'm been flat out over the last couple of days, it's my 64th Birthday today!  :happydance:  :victory:

Offline Martellozzo

• 1st Gear

Co. Dublin
Dazzler
Happy B-day Dazzler! Best wishes, enjoy your day!

Offline Martellozzo

• 1st Gear

Co. Dublin
I believe you need h7 buld for the front light.

There are many cases where us diesel owners have had issues with fast buring low beam bulbs. The electric system of a diesel seems to stress the lights more, than in petrols. Some have even put surge protectors between the terminals of the battery. I use only long life bulbs. They are not as bright as normal, or extra bright bulbs. But they have been only ones to last for a decent time. I rather have a bad light than no light at all. There aren't many people who would change the i30 light bulb in the dark on the side of the road.
It makes sense!
I will consider to have the ones that last longer. Do you have any tips for those, like brand or model?

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Any long life version will do. I have used Osram. Only because one local part store sells them with 4 year warranty. One of the most stupid things to have warranty. They are not even that expensive. Last pair was 18 euros. Long life bulbs last about 2-2,5 years in my car. I just think that is such a stupid thing to have a warranty, so I have been using it. I guess they bet no-one will save the receipt or will be bothered to claim warranty, but I don't have anything better to do. Maybe I need a new hobby...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Any long life version will do. I have used Osram. Only because one local part store sells them with 4 year warranty. One of the most stupid things to have warranty. They are not even that expensive. Last pair was 18 euros. Long life bulbs last about 2-2,5 years in my car. I just think that is such a stupid thing to have a warranty, so I have been using it. I guess they bet no-one will save the receipt or will be bothered to claim warranty, but I don't have anything better to do. Maybe I need a new hobby...

That's brilliant!  :happydance: Like you say,  not much money but it all adds up to another massage.  LOL

Offline ro0sau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
happy birthday dazzler  :bd6:

but i digress, back to the topic...the bad smell you describe could possibly be as simple as a unchanged pollen filter in your air conditioner.

:link: Hyundai i30 cabin air filter install - YouTube
  • 2015 gd i30 trophy auto diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the Birthday wishes and i love that word "digress" it describes one of my best things..

Yes, good point could be a clogged and dirty pollen filter.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal