i30 Owners Club

Radio & abs fault

sundiz · 6 · 5825

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I was driving when suddenly radio shut down. At the same time abs and brake warning light came on. Engine worked normally. 3 seconds later radio came on and the fault lights disappeared. When I got home I did read the codes, no codes in the memory or active. Also measured charge voltage, which was healthy 14.2V at the battery.

Radio shutting down and abs light could indicate some sort of drop in the voltage, but there was no low battery light. Maybe poor ground connection somewhere...

Did not find any reason for the fault. I guess I need to continue driving and wait the car to leave me on the side of the highway in the worst christmas traffic.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good luck Sundiz. Fingers crossed that worst case scenario doesn't happen.  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Whats the battery voltage with the ignition off.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Whats the battery voltage with the ignition off.

12.5V after 24h parking. Lots of short distance driving for the last few weeks. Seat warmer etc. Therefore I knew the battery is not 100% full. But I doubt empty battery would be the issue. Engine had been running about 30min before the glitch happened.

Battery and alternator are about 2 years/40 000km old. In theory they should be in good condition... Of course sometimes they may fail fast.

Did battery test today. Internal resistance was good, battery at 70% charge. Put it in charge for the night.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Intermittent faults are the absolute worst kind. Pure guesswork not being there but I would start with checking the integrity of connections susceptible to loosening through vibration. Earthing points and 12V points are of equal concern when eliminating these concerns.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Went to the garage to double check everything as there is going to be long trip at christmas. CCA battery test results started to variate between measurements. Thought it might be due oxidized connectors. It has happened once before. Started to clean the battery terminals with a wire brush and noticed that the positive battery connection was completely loose. That explains the issues. I just don't understand why I did not see it first time, as I tried to wiggle the terminals. Now CCA tests are constant and every nut and bolt has been checked three times.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal